Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Fog Light Retrofit

Old 11-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #23
griffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: POL/Fuels
Name: Ryan
griffin407c's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #24
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed
Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #26
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
If you still want the stock housing adjustments, why don't you just take it apart, paint it black, and retro that, leaving the plastic lens off?
That was my original idea but if I can get the lens to re-attach I think it'd be better to protect the projector lens. My original idea was to leave the lens off, but I'm going to see if it's possible to put everything back and have a nice, clean stock look with the Blazers and the Gattling shroud.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #27
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Just started, I put the steps in the OP and will put up pics once the photo gallery is back online
Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #29
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
elblako91's Tacoma Gallery
subbed I thought about going this route but i ended up just buying some hella micro DE fogs with a projector lens and sticking a HID in it. Good luck tho! Id love to see the finished product.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #30

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Pics added bump
Old 12-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #33

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
any bumps along the road yet?? please take note and let us kno
I tried to make note of them as I went. So far the only issue I had was cutting too far when I removed the lens. Fortunately, blacking everything out covers the mis-cuts. Getting the projector set and square in the housing was a bit of a challenge, especially using JB Weld since you really only have one shot at it. I think putting the lens back on will be a breeze!

Oh, and one thing I forgot when cutting the shroud cover, I trimmed it up by 1/2" forgetting that where it sits isn't round due to the shape of the bowl. Because I forgot about that, the shroud is only attached to the bowl on the sides. I'll do the second one correctly. So far this has been a very labor intensive process and has taken a long time since you have to wait for the paint and JB Weld to dry in stages.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #34

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
If the above didn't happen, would you have kept everything unpainted? Bright Chrome look?...
No, I was planning on blacking them out anyways. If I wanted to keep the chrome look and I overcut, I would have cut the chrome piece down flush and resealed them that way (made the overcut all the way around so no one would be able to tell the difference). Aesthetically, cutting that chrome piece back would not have made any difference in my opinion.

The reason I had planned on blacking everything from the start was because that fog light had been leaking and the chrome was all corroded and pitted anyways.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #35

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Retrofit question!!!

I got one of the lights done and I got digging through the rest of the kit that TRS sent me. I came across this ridiculous looking wiring set up with relays, a plug that goes to the stock plug, a plug that goes to each new projector, a hot wire and a ground. My question, why do I need all this crap?!?! Is there a GOOD reason why I can't just wire each wire from the ballast directly to the existing fog light wiring? Do the ballast really need a clean power source from the battery and their own fuse? I would think the stock fog light wiring would be more the sufficient

Can anyone clarify this for me, it would save me a lot of wiring!!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #36
Frankie_G is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: Frankie
Frankie_G's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. looks great so far
Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #37
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
hey Pugga,

i didnt use the wireharness that came with the kit... i just used OEM wire harness... plug into ballast... and then ballast to the bulb. had no problems whatsoever.... returned the wiring harness and got a refund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I got one of the lights done and I got digging through the rest of the kit that TRS sent me. I came across this ridiculous looking wiring set up with relays, a plug that goes to the stock plug, a plug that goes to each new projector, a hot wire and a ground. My question, why do I need all this crap?!?! Is there a GOOD reason why I can't just wire each wire from the ballast directly to the existing fog light wiring? Do the ballast really need a clean power source from the battery and their own fuse? I would think the stock fog light wiring would be more the sufficient

Can anyone clarify this for me, it would save me a lot of wiring!!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 AM   #38

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
hey Pugga,

i didnt use the wireharness that came with the kit... i just used OEM wire harness... plug into ballast... and then ballast to the bulb. had no problems whatsoever.... returned the wiring harness and got a refund
Ahhh, that PM you sent a while ago about the wiring harness makes sense now! I should have put 2 and 2 together

Thanks
Old 12-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #39
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice work. loved the comments about the Captain, LOL.

Question:
Are the fog lights converted to driving lights with this mod? I am not sure due to the light beam cutoff possibilities with a projector.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #40
Live Fast, Die Young
superwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

superwhite10's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. wana know how it turned out