1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Light Retrofit

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Pugga, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    pugggggga: :devil: :drevil: :stirthepot:

2. Nov 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    *goes to kitchen finds broccoli and starts eating broccoli*

hello, good day to you sir! its raining, yay !

3. Nov 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    griffin407c

griffin407c Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB MGM 4x4 Sport w/Entune
    OME 885s on Bilstein 5100s set at 0 with 1/2" plate spacers. OME Dakars with Bilstein 5100 Extended Length Shocks. 16" Pro Comp 7032 wheels wrapped with 285/75-16 Duratracs
  4. Nov 21, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    subscribed

5. Nov 22, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    If you still want the stock housing adjustments, why don't you just take it apart, paint it black, and retro that, leaving the plastic lens off?

6. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Pugga

Pugga [OP] Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That was my original idea but if I can get the lens to re-attach I think it'd be better to protect the projector lens. My original idea was to leave the lens off, but I'm going to see if it's possible to put everything back and have a nice, clean stock look with the Blazers and the Gattling shroud.

7. Dec 3, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Just started, I put the steps in the OP and will put up pics once the photo gallery is back online :D

8. Dec 3, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
  9. Dec 3, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    elblako91

elblako91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    subbed I thought about going this route but i ended up just buying some hella micro DE fogs with a projector lens and sticking a HID in it. Good luck tho! Id love to see the finished product.

10. Dec 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Pics added bump :yay:

11. Dec 4, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    WOOOOOOOO LOOOKIN GOOD!

12. Dec 4, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    any bumps along the road yet?? please take note and let us kno :)

13. Dec 4, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I tried to make note of them as I went. So far the only issue I had was cutting too far when I removed the lens. Fortunately, blacking everything out covers the mis-cuts. Getting the projector set and square in the housing was a bit of a challenge, especially using JB Weld since you really only have one shot at it. I think putting the lens back on will be a breeze!

Oh, and one thing I forgot when cutting the shroud cover, I trimmed it up by 1/2" forgetting that where it sits isn't round due to the shape of the bowl. Because I forgot about that, the shroud is only attached to the bowl on the sides. I'll do the second one correctly. So far this has been a very labor intensive process and has taken a long time since you have to wait for the paint and JB Weld to dry in stages.

14. Dec 5, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    No, I was planning on blacking them out anyways. If I wanted to keep the chrome look and I overcut, I would have cut the chrome piece down flush and resealed them that way (made the overcut all the way around so no one would be able to tell the difference). Aesthetically, cutting that chrome piece back would not have made any difference in my opinion.

The reason I had planned on blacking everything from the start was because that fog light had been leaking and the chrome was all corroded and pitted anyways.

15. Dec 5, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I got one of the lights done and I got digging through the rest of the kit that TRS sent me. I came across this ridiculous looking wiring set up with relays, a plug that goes to the stock plug, a plug that goes to each new projector, a hot wire and a ground. My question, why do I need all this crap?!?! Is there a GOOD reason why I can't just wire each wire from the ballast directly to the existing fog light wiring? Do the ballast really need a clean power source from the battery and their own fuse? I would think the stock fog light wiring would be more the sufficient :confused:

Can anyone clarify this for me, it would save me a lot of wiring!!

16. Dec 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    Frankie_G

Frankie_G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    West Seattle, Wa
    sub'd. looks great so far

17. Dec 5, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    hey Pugga,

i didnt use the wireharness that came with the kit... i just used OEM wire harness... plug into ballast... and then ballast to the bulb. had no problems whatsoever.... returned the wiring harness and got a refund

18. Dec 6, 2011 at 3:12 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Ahhh, that PM you sent a while ago about the wiring harness makes sense now! I should have put 2 and 2 together :facepalm:

19. Dec 6, 2011 at 3:25 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Very nice work. loved the comments about the Captain, LOL.

Question:
    Are the fog lights converted to driving lights with this mod? I am not sure due to the light beam cutoff possibilities with a projector.

20. Dec 6, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    superwhite10

superwhite10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
    sub'd. wana know how it turned out

Products Discussed in

To Top