1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Light Retrofit

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Pugga, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    Pugga

Pugga [OP] Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's good to know, they've only been on for a total of maybe 10 minutes. When I get the second one installed and the heat sinks in place I'll run them for a while so they get that color shift out of their system. So far the first one is holding up, no water in the housing and looks great!

2. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    maybe i didn't notice much of a difference because i have yellow film over the lens? Iono... but it starts up green and after a few minutes its like a full on yellow!

w00t w00t! so if i do this, I'm probably going to color match the shroud and paint the bowl black and leave the lens yellow... hmmmm...

3. Dec 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    Haha.. That's is funny, but I think you play a big roll in it too ;) You're the one that guided me through all this!

I might start my dad's retrofit this weekend.. 02' honday odyssey:spy:

4. Dec 13, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
  5. Dec 13, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I think the blacked out bowl and color matched shroud would have looked much better. By the time I figured it out though, I had already JB welded the first shroud in place so too late for me. I think it would have looked sick with a black bowl and white shroud :(

Oh well, maybe my next set... :spy:

6. Dec 14, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    shweller

shweller Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport SB 4x4
    PoP 'N' Lock Satoshi Grill (Did it Myself) DSM UCA's (Desert Products) FXR 1.1 w/Gatling Gun Shrouds Phillips 85122 Method Racing Wheels HID Hella 500's behind Satoshi grill Fog Light Anytime Illuminated 4x4 Switch Ultragauge PIAA 510"s King Coilovers w/resi's Rear TSB Leaf Packs All Pro Sliders Bolt on sliders 255/75 R17 BF Goodrich Mudders Spidertrax wheel spacers Neoprene arm rests Weathertechs Wet Okoles w/TRD Allpro Ofrroad Apex bumper and IFS skid plate
    My retro is on its way, decided to go with just the OEM look.
    [​IMG]

7. Dec 14, 2011 at 9:53 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    cool beans :)

8. Dec 15, 2011 at 4:51 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Nice! Definitely a much easier way to get projectors in the factory fogs :thumbsup:

9. Dec 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.
    That is the path I took and I am super happy with the outcome.

10. Dec 15, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Yeah, you're the reason I went through with this in the first place! Yet another case of someone on TW doing something cool and making me spend more of my hard earned money on mods for the Tacoma... :rolleyes:

11. Dec 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    shweller

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    PoP 'N' Lock Satoshi Grill (Did it Myself) DSM UCA's (Desert Products) FXR 1.1 w/Gatling Gun Shrouds Phillips 85122 Method Racing Wheels HID Hella 500's behind Satoshi grill Fog Light Anytime Illuminated 4x4 Switch Ultragauge PIAA 510"s King Coilovers w/resi's Rear TSB Leaf Packs All Pro Sliders Bolt on sliders 255/75 R17 BF Goodrich Mudders Spidertrax wheel spacers Neoprene arm rests Weathertechs Wet Okoles w/TRD Allpro Ofrroad Apex bumper and IFS skid plate
    Anyone know how to do the wire down mod on the blazers?

12. Dec 15, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
  13. Dec 15, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It's really simple, I was very skeptical to grind off a tab on a brand new HID bulb. I used a dremel tool on low speed to take the nub off. The nub I'm talking about is the catch that keeps you from being able to keep spinning the bulb once inserted into the projector. You just grind that off and the bulb will spin 180 degrees so the wire is down rather than on top of the bulb.

14. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    shweller

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the information, I was having a hard time understanding what wirethey were referring to. But I finally figured out that it is the wire on theoutside of the bulb itself. So grind of the stop tab a rotate it 180 so thewire is down.

15. Dec 16, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You got it, it's only a tiny nub on one of the alignment tabs. I didn't even realize it was there until I took the rubber gasket off.

16. Dec 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    shweller

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    Your are defenitely right about how small the nub was... I used a key file and filed it down till I could rotate the bulb. Thanks for the help. My retro is now complete :)
    [​IMG]

17. Dec 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Looks good! Is the ballast open to rocks from the tires there? I bolted mine to the front of the sheet metal using the factory bolts that insert into the welded on nuts (next to where your ballast is). Also, I don't know if it's necessary but I used thread locker on the screws that hold the ballast to the mounting plate.

How's the light output? I still only have one of mine mounted so I haven't messed with alignment yet.

18. Dec 17, 2011 at 2:29 AM
    shweller

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    You have a good point, didn’t think of that. I will probably mount them on the other side for better protection. I will post some pics in the morning of some output shots once I get out of work. I currently am running 3000k bulbs and don’t really like the color with 4300k headlights so I think am going to order a set of 5000k's from TRS.....

19. Dec 17, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Nice, I should be aiming mine up in a little while and will get some light output shots tonight. So far I'm pretty excited about how they look. Make sure you post up how you like them with the 5000K bulbs, I don't think anyone is running Blazers with that color bulb.

Right now mine are green, I'm hoping they settle and go to yellow soon!

20. Dec 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    shweller

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    My 5000k bulbs are in the mail! These are some pics of some output shots from this morning. The passenger side cutoff is perfect and level. The driver side not so much my horizontal is a little off and the cutoff looks like a wave not sure why... Overall for eyeballing the horizontal adjustment, I think they came out alright enough to where I can live with them. I think the blazers are a great projector for the price I can’t complain. I will post some shots once I get the 5000k bulbs in.
    Both sides:
    [​IMG]
    Passengerside:
    [​IMG]
    Driver side:
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top