Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Installing HID into Eagle Eyes Halos

Old 11-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Mikeymyk11 is on a distinguished road
Mikeymyk11's Tacoma Gallery
Installing HID into Eagle Eyes Halos

I'm sure this question has been answered on this site, but I haven't been able to find a direct answer thus far, so if it has, just forward me the thread. I have the CCFL Eagle Eyes plug and play, and wanted to know if it is possible to install HID's on it, and if so, what bulb is it? H1?

I know they sell these Eagle eyes with the HID kit already with it, but I didn't realize I would want them until I noticed how un-bright my lights are especially with one pointed lower then the other. I am still glad I made this purchase, but I just want some brighter headlights and I know HID's will satisfy my needs.

** Also check out the thumbnail if you want to see what headlights I am specifically talking about **
Attached Thumbnails
Installing HID into Eagle Eyes Halos-img_2566-3.jpg  
Old 11-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
This is where I write something clever
chris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Chris
chris duby's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same exact headlights for right now until my retrofits are completed and I do have some 6000k HID's in them. The bulb is the same as the stock tacoma headlight bulb... H4.

And like wolfpack said... After seeing the difference between these headlights and the retrofits, it's like night and day.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately the projectors in those lights are poor quality. As stated above, try to work towards a retrofit down the road.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris duby View Post
I have the same exact headlights for right now until my retrofits are completed and I do have some 6000k HID's in them. The bulb is the same as the stock tacoma headlight bulb... H4.

And like wolfpack said... After seeing the difference between these headlights and the retrofits, it's like night and day.
So you had the bulbs that came with originally too then threw in the HIDs?

Also, what are retrofits? Haven't been on this site in forever and now feel out of the loop
Old 11-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
GO RETROS!! Hopefully Ill have some come January
Old 11-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Since I'll be sticking with my eagle eyes because I don't have the money for the retros right now, it is possible to install HIDs into the eagle eye housing right? I just want to make sure before a buy a HID kit and find out later that I can't install them. And they are for sure H4 bulbs Chris Dulby? I need to order these within the next week
Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you pull the bulb and check. Most likely its an H4.

Hopefully you don't blind people putting HID's in there
Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
Is there an issue with this housing and HIDs blinding people? Is this due to the lights facing too high which could just be adjusted by facing them down or what?

Sorry for all the questions haha
Old 11-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dane
4x4Taco09's Tacoma Gallery
No. The projectors aren't up to par. Light still scatters in them causing you to blind others

There are others that have better adjusted pics and prolly better setups, but here's my retrofit (my passenger side is still a hair off horizontally)

Low

High
Old 11-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
chris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeymyk11 View Post
Since I'll be sticking with my eagle eyes because I don't have the money for the retros right now, it is possible to install HIDs into the eagle eye housing right? I just want to make sure before a buy a HID kit and find out later that I can't install them. And they are for sure H4 bulbs Chris Dulby? I need to order these within the next week
I actually ordered them with my eagle eyes but when they got to me, I had to take out the halogen bulbs and install the HID's. But they are H4's to answer your question.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Taco09 View Post
No. The projectors aren't up to par. Light still scatters in them causing you to blind others

There are others that have better adjusted pics and prolly better setups, but here's my retrofit (my passenger side is still a hair off horizontally)

Low

High
It just looks like your rotational alignment needs to be adjusted on your passenger side. Looking good though...
Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Is there an issue with this housing and HIDs blinding people? Is this due to the lights facing too high which could just be adjusted by facing them down or what?

Sorry for all the questions haha
Those projectors are not designed to be used with an HID. Not only will the out put be horrible but you will still have glare. Depending on the quality of the headlight they may or may not be slightly better than the OEM's with HID's but still...

Halogens create light by heating a filament till it glows. HID's emit light by creating and arc between two electrodes which creates a much different output so the reflector and optics must be designed around this
Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I actually ordered them with my eagle eyes but when they got to me, I had to take out the halogen bulbs and install the HID's. But they are H4's to answer your question.
Take a look at the pic in post #1. H4s are double filament lo/hi bulbs that come in oem single reflector housings. The lo in eagle eye ccfl halos is an H7 and the hi is a 9005 or something like that. They are seperate single filament bulb and reflectors.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Take a look at the pic in post #1. H4s are double filament lo/hi bulbs that come in oem single reflector housings. The lo in eagle eye ccfl halos is an H7 and the hi is a 9005 or something like that. They are seperate single filament bulb and reflectors.
I feel like a complete dumbass...They are H7's, as I just looked at the site that I ordered them from a long time ago. http://www.dashzracing.com/05-10-toy...-pbc-rf-a.html

I'm sorry for relaying the wrong information
Old 11-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #15
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I feel like a complete dumbass...They are H7's, as I just looked at the site that I ordered them from a long time ago. http://www.dashzracing.com/05-10-toy...-pbc-rf-a.html

We are all human, no need to beat yourself up about it. I know some shit about a lot of shit but I'm not sure if I know everything about anything so there ya go.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
Quote:

Oh it's fine! I'm just glad I didn't order them yet!

So is it pretty pointless to order HID's? I really want some bright lights for my road trip from Orlando to Arizona and mine aren't putting up enough light for me. Whenever I am driving down dark roads with no street lights it seems that the lights barely go out 30 feet in front of me and have no reflection off street signs and etc. But don't get me wrong, I still love my Eagle Eyes.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #17
What If I put HID's in the Hi-Beam slots? Would that prevent the scatteryness (just made up that word)?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #18

Quote:
What If I put HID's in the Hi-Beam slots? Would that prevent the scatteryness (just made up that word)?
There would be much more glare than if they were just in the low beams because they are going to be a high beam pattern, but if you just wanted to use them as high beams that would work. Only issue you would have is warm up time. They wont turn on and be at full brightness right when you flip the highs on
Old 11-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #19
marlin is on a distinguished road
marlin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Wow.....hope someone chimes in.
Not 100% sure of the size.....eventually work ur way up to a retrofit, u wont be disapointed.

And don't forget to aim them.
retrofit??? good luck! so u are saying to take a headlight assembly that is not made for projection headlight and put a projection lens in it! Lol... do you know the main lens on the headlight causes the scatter?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
marlin is on a distinguished road
marlin's Tacoma Gallery
yes hid lights will work and they look great! i have the same lights after adjustment they look better than retro's! eagle eyes with 8000k hid