Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Im going all out with lights...

Old 11-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
GoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
GoDeacsWFU23's Tacoma Gallery
Im going all out with lights...

My truck is going to look like a runway going down the road....hopefully. I plan on installing 4 lights on my Thule basket that will be installed on top of my Leer 100XQ cap and also 2 lights behind the grille. Will I need a seperate battery to run this?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDeacsWFU23 View Post
My truck is going to look like a runway going down the road....hopefully. I plan on installing 4 lights on my Thule basket that will be installed on top of my Leer 100XQ cap and also 2 lights behind the grille. Will I need a seperate battery to run this?
Im planning the same set up as you. Really depends on the lights but you shouldnt have too. Long as you have a good battery and your alt. is putting out 14 volts. I was planning on running the HID on mine.

Im still looking for a connector i like for quick disconnect plus running flexable pipe. I have other plans just trying to find the right connector right now is holding up the project on mine.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
How frequently do you plan on running all 6 lights along with your headlights? Also, why so many lights and have you thought about a LED light bar on the rack instead of 4 round lights?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Might look into higher output alternator. If you have the tow package you already have a bigger alt. And battery should be ok
Old 11-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
lol i know of a few that could give you a run for your money...
Kinda what I'm thinking... Just adding lights for the sake of adding lights doesn't mean the result is going to be useful. 1/2 as many high quality lights will outshine 6 so-so lights.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Depends on the lights. I run 2 35w HIDs and 2 85 watt PIAAs, in addition to my fogs and headlights just fine while the engine is going. I have the tow pack. Also have 2 add'l reverse lamps, but they pop on only when backing up.

Also invest in some 14g wiring - that's a lot of current to be carrying.

But, no, I think you'll probably be OK on one battery. Check out expeditionportal.com also for guys that gussy up their trucks.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
PudgiesinWaverly is on a distinguished road
Name: Pudge
PudgiesinWaverly's Tacoma Gallery
Don't have a tacoma yet but on all my cars I install lights behind the grill i like them hidden. The best lights I have used were 4x6 KC long distance lights. They lit up the road 100 yards in front of me clear as day. My bro had round daylighters to light up 30 yards in front of him but also 30 yards left and 30 yards right. I love light, when its night time it's nice not really knowing. TO have both would be perfect.

I drive a tiny Sentra and my mirrors are the perfect height to direct lights from cars behind me right in my face. I think the BEST light would be one on the trunk to return the favor to people who tailgate.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudgiesinWaverly View Post
Don't have a tacoma yet but on all my cars I install lights behind the grill i like them hidden. The best lights I have used were 4x6 KC long distance lights. They lit up the road 100 yards in front of me clear as day. My bro had round daylighters to light up 30 yards in front of him but also 30 yards left and 30 yards right. I love light, when its night time it's nice not really knowing. TO have both would be perfect.

I drive a tiny Sentra and my mirrors are the perfect height to direct lights from cars behind me right in my face. I think the BEST light would be one on the trunk to return the favor to people who tailgate.
Yeah-because risking causing an accident because you chose a car that sits low to the ground is a great idea.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Yeah-because risking causing an accident because you chose a car that sits low to the ground is a great idea.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
GoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
GoDeacsWFU23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
How frequently do you plan on running all 6 lights along with your headlights? Also, why so many lights and have you thought about a LED light bar on the rack instead of 4 round lights?

I go to WV to Pinnacle Creek (riding 4 wheelers) about 2 times a month and that is when I will be using them. So about 15 miles of use 2 times a month.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I go to WV to Pinnacle Creek (riding 4 wheelers) about 2 times a month and that is when I will be using them. So about 15 miles of use 2 times a month.
What do you plan on running for lights? Are they 6 100W lights or something smaller? You'll more than likely be fine but it depends on the draw from the lights. I don't know what kind of lights you're planning on getting but 6 cheap lights may light up the area around your truck but won't throw light very far. 4 really good lights will throw light for a long, long ways and HIDs or LEDs will have a lower draw on your electrical system vs. halogens.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #14
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
you will be fine with 6 extra lights.

i run all mine off of the slightly larger tow package alternator and an optima yellowtop. sometimes staying on for very long periods of time.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
lol the goal should never be to blind other drivers thats childish and completely unsafe.

i have a larger optic nerve apparently so i have a sensitivity to light so at night if i get glared badly i can and have actually lost a good portion of my vision for a few seconds on a dark road its not a cool thing to have happen.

i made absolutely positive that my hids and for that matter all my lights are aimed correctly it helps with both performance and safety.

if your wanting the nicest halogen lights look into light force a lot of their models have adjustability in the beam pattern so you can have complete control over the beam pattern and if your grand scheme changes you can always adjust them accordingly.

the thing is is that there is a steep price tag for quality automotive lighting it can get expensive real quick but vision-x rigid and light force are going to to be the premium choices for a kick ass set-up
Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
also think of different driving situations the white light from my 5k hids pieces through snow excellent. the more yellow light coming from my hellas and my soon to be 55 watt 3000k s2k retrofit will cut through dust like a knife. and the leds come on with my high beams to really throw light up and far down the road the combonation of of the three gives you a pretty complete set up for almost every situation you could encounter.

just something to think about
Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
also think of different driving situations the white light from my 5k hids pieces through snow excellent. the more yellow light coming from my hellas and my soon to be 55 watt 3000k s2k retrofit will cut through dust like a knife. and the leds come on with my high beams to really throw light up and far down the road the combonation of of the three gives you a pretty complete set up for almost every situation you could encounter.

just something to think about
^^^ 100% light style variation is your friend. variation in both color and beam pattern. you will also want to think about placement. fogs go low. also, once it starts raining, lights on your roof will actually hurt your ability to see, so make sure you have some firepower sitting below the windshield as well.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #18
Icepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
Icepuck72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
^^^ 100% light style variation is your friend. variation in both color and beam pattern. you will also want to think about placement. fogs go low. also, once it starts raining, lights on your roof will actually hurt your ability to see, so make sure you have some firepower sitting below the windshield as well.
Going low for fogs.....how low, actually? Adding fogs to say a lightbar license plate height low enough?