1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DDM HIDs stay on after turned off

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ouyin2000, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Nov 21, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    So I'm finally posting up here about this problem.

I installed DDM HIDs in my headlights and fog lights a few months ago. The fogs work fine, no issues. But a few times I've noticed that the headlights stay on after being turned off.

The first time I really noticed it was at work one day in the summer. I got a text from my buddy saying that my headlights were on in the parking lot. I was out and couldn't go turn them off, so I had to just cross my fingers. Got back at lunch and sure enough they were on. Turned the truck on (it started just fine, no battery draining at all after 4+ hours), and cycled the light switch on and off, and they went out.

Since then I have seen it happen a couple of other times as I'm walking away from the truck. I go back in, cycle the switch and they go out. Today it happened after just a short jaunt to the store. I came out and they were on. I tried cycling the switch but it didn't want to turn them off this time.

Any idea on what is causing this issue? I'm thinking that the ballasts/bulbs are just getting too hot and need to cool off before the switch will allow them to turn off.

2. Nov 21, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    The bulbs and ballasts aren't going to magically keep making light when the light is off. My guess is that your switch is faulty to where the circuit is still closed even when you flip your switch.

3. Nov 21, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2, the power should be cut when the ignition is turned off, regardless of the ballasts being hot. The ballasts can not continue to draw if there is nothing to draw from. Sounds like you have a faulty switch or you're not telling us something in how you wired them up. If they were plug and play, you have a faulty switch as Memario stated.

4. Nov 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Mine stay on after the ignition is cut. If the lights switch is set to "On", they will stay on until I open my door. If I cycle the switch after I have opened the door, they will turn back on and stay that way. There is no headlight auto-off (on my truck anyway) that happens when you kill the engine. They may turn off after an extended period of time though, I don't know.

5. Nov 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Yeah, you're right... they stay on til you open the door. If you physically turn them on after you open the door, I believe they stay on until turned off or the battery dies. Sounds like it could be a relay problem with that door switch. OP, does your dome light go out when the door is closed as it should?

I'll give myself one of these, I forgots about the door thing... :smack:

6. Nov 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    DNG

DNG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    White 01 DC PreRunner
    The guys at DDM said to flick your high beams to turn off the lights. That worked sometimes with mine. Other times, they'd stay on until I shut my engine off.

7. Nov 21, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I never had an issue with the stock lights. They turn off when I turn the switch off, and if I forget, they turn off when I open the door. As the truck is supposed to do.

I only noticed the problem after I installed the HIDs. So that is the problem. It might be something in the way I wired it, but I don't think I did anything different from what I've read on the forums here. I haven't tried flicking on the high beams to turn them off, might see if that works.

The reason I think it's the ballasts/bulbs being too hot, is because after awhile I just need to cycle the switch on and off again and they go out. As if they've cooled down enough to be properly turned off.

8. Nov 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    My guess would have to be the ddmtuning relay. That is if you have the kit that came with a relay.

9. Nov 21, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    After hearing the OP's response... I have found myself shifting over to this as the culprit as well

10. Nov 21, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    NelsonTacoma

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    OP a simple way to test the relay is to just tap on it when the lights have stayed on and see if they go out. I do this on lots of electronics and it works sometimes. Just a suggestion.

11. Nov 21, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    It's supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow, so I'm going to try and see if I can figure it out.

12. Nov 21, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    NelsonTacoma

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    What like 40F? Its going to be 72F here tomorrow. :woot:

Let us know what you find.

13. Nov 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Actually yes, haha. +5 C is what they're calling for.

14. Nov 22, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Still skeptical... If the truck cuts power to the circuit, it shouldn't matter if DDM tuning's relays are trying to draw power or not, there shouldn't be any power there if the truck's circuits are working properly. OP, it is all plug and play, correct? No wires going directly do the battery?

15. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    ^^^ HID kits draw power off of the battery

16. Nov 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    +1 HID kits draw power from the battery. If the relay is at fault, its probably causing a permanent or latching type short on the headlight on/off junction side that allows the relay to draw power from the battery to provide to the ballasts, since you can turn your headlights on/off without a key being in the ACC/ON position let alone even present. Having said that, its probably temperature related shorting occuring in the relay. I would ask them for a new relay or look up the part number and order another one for a few bucks.

17. Nov 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Oh... Didn't know that. The only HID kit I've got is on my motorcycle and it was 100% plug and play and is not connected to the battery so the only place for it to draw power is the stock wiring. That was a Slimcubby set-up though, don't mind me, i didn't realize DDM's kit was any different. :eek:

18. Nov 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Haha slims run the same way. Most automotive applications run this way. Even slims setup... the only things that the stock equipment is used for is to tell the light when to turn on and when to go to high beams...

19. Nov 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I can promise you I didn't run a wire to the battery on my motorcycle... :confused: I bought a Slim Cubby Bi-Xenon kit in a group buy last year, everything runs off the stock wiring. It was a Slim Cubby group buy but through another member. Connecting directly to the battery just sounds silly when there's already a switched power source available.

Simple solution, get an automotive relay and have the trigger be the original headlight power wire. It would basically do the same job as DDM's relay but easier to replace and, from the sounds of it, more reliable.

20. Nov 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    ^^^ I believe you. Not arguing that you didn't use stock wiring on your bike lol... automotive applications, cars and trucks is what I was referring to. I am not educated in how powersports vehicles work... The reason cars hook to the battery may have something to do with the initial draw of the ballast. That is my guess.

Products Discussed in

To Top