1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sylvania zXe head light bulb

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by YodasYota, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    YodasYota

YodasYota [OP] I'm here for the chicks.

Member:
    First Name:
    Yoda
    Orange County CA/the Dagobah system
    Vehicle:
    White 2005 2.7L
    aFe pro dry s drop in, secondary air filter delete, "Black Box" mod, debadged, tinted windows, 300mm Broadway rear view mirror, LED brake lights, side markers, rear turn signals, plate lights, and interior lights. Flowmaster cat back exhaust, a cracked tail light that I fixed with some tape, all black grille, 15” Raceline 401B wheels, Goodyear 235/75/15 All Terrain Tires
    Well one of my ultras burnt out and I saw that Sylvania came out with a "brighter" bulb the zXe. So I picked up a pair. A little whiter than my ultras. But kinda pricey for bulbs. Any one else try these?

2. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I saw that they were pricey would like to see a pic of them lit up at night

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    there definately bright, two friends of mine have them in there motorcycles. I cant justify spending $60 on bulbs, when sylvanias have a reputation for burning out early.

4. Dec 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    JustATaco

JustATaco Active Member

Member:
    leftcoast (Florida)
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Debagged
    Definitely pricey and a good chance they will burn out in less than a year.

IMG-20111010-00176.jpg

5. Dec 15, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    Dr. Sleep

Dr. Sleep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DoubleCab SR5 4X4
    I bought and installed a pair of Sylvania SilverStar Ultras a little less than 2 years ago, and one has already burned out. The don't last. . . . I'm not sure if it's Sylvania the company, or any "brighter" bulb that is the problem.

6. Dec 15, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    yea can't justify spending 60 bucks on bulbs when you can spend a bit more and just get HID's, or spend half that and get a little bit less light

7. Dec 15, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I think the problem is people not reading the packaging and then complaining when they have a shortened lifespan. They have right in the box that they don't last as long. FWIW I've had Silverstar Ultras in my head and foglights for 2 years now and they've yet to go.

8. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    Dr. Sleep

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DoubleCab SR5 4X4
    I challenge you to find anywhere on their website where they state these brighter bulbs have shorter lifespans.

9. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    johnanm

johnanm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab 2.7L Prerunner
    Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75" front shocks on stock springs, AFE ProDry drop-in, white DTRLs, Sylvania ZXE headlamps, DeeZee bed mat, Tailgate hose clamp mod, cheap snap craigslist tonneau, Weathertech vent visors, secondary air filter removed, Class III hitch
    I installed zxe's about two weeks ag oand have been very impressed. Advance Auto has about a $10 instant rebate on them right now, or else I would have gotten something cheaper. I'm very impressed with the brightness and whiteness. They make driving at night more fun, really

10. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    Dr. Sleep

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DoubleCab SR5 4X4
    Fair enough . . . you win. I was looking all over their product literature pages and not the FAQs. Average life = 1 year = I won't be buying these again. Maybe I'll just run my Off road lights until I get ticketed. :)

11. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    altitan

altitan Member

Member:
    Blountsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    I dont know about the website, but it does state on the package that they will have a shorter lifespan than a standard bulb. just picked up a set of these about two weeks ago, personally for the quality of light they put out its definitely worth spending $60 per year on.

12. Dec 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    the issue is duty cycle you do not run your fogs nearly as much as your headlights do you?

the longer the duty cycle the more the heat builds up hence the shortened life span. all high performance halogens will return a shorter life span over the factory bulbs.

the next step in lighting is going to leds or hids and please for the love of god if you do step up to hid lighting retrofit projectors in your housings so you do not glare everyone else.

as of right now hids are the best lighting you can get leds are still finding there niche in the lighting world there is imo some work that still needs to be done to them for them to function with the performance of a quality xenon set-up.

edit at this point i have seen in person two cars at night equiped with the led headlights and my xenons blow them away no questions asked for what thats worth both where the lexus ls hybrid.

13. Dec 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR

Actually my fogs get more use than my headlights since I always run my fogs with the headlights and in addition often run fogs and parking lights when headlights aren't needed. Not that it really matters I wasn't questioning why they last less I know why. Was merely pointing out that both my headlights and foglights have been going longer than these bulbs normally last and I installed both sets at the same time.

And as has been mentioned now, it both states it right on the website and on the packaging. The packaging(at least when I got my set) actually has little chart showing lifespan vs. brightness for their various bulbs and the Silverstars only have like one "dot" out of 4 or something for lifespan.

I've seen LED headlights on a couple Audi's and liked the look. Seemed to light well but haven't compared them to HID's and it's been a couple years since I've had a vehicle with HID's.

14. Dec 15, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    hid lighting is still far ahead of the leds imo i have yet to see one that could come close to matching whats in my truck right now. lol i guess nothing really matches what i have now def nothing oem and it would take a quad set-up to best it really lol my lights are tarded man way bright.

the lexus ls hybrid i saw left me wondering what they where thinking on that one usually toyota and denso come to market with some of the best lighting on the road found on almost any car. so the leds just left me scratching my head.

i had the ls 460 projectors and they where crazy man! 10 lanes across easy and the 430's are the widest you can buy period they are pushing like 12 lanes wide. there is no led that i know of that can even come close to that at least one without an optic attached to it some how. thats what is going to set it all off for them more lumens and actual optics. like a projector of some type to trap and focus the light as opposed to the diffusers that are being used now a days.

and to respond to your comment about your silverstars lasting over two years with continuous use idk you must have got a good set then. most of the bulbs i have seen last a fraction of that time lol. also why are you running your fogs all the time it puts a load on the alternator for no reason if they are not needed meaning there is fog :)

15. Dec 15, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    sir1123

sir1123 Tacomas FTMFW!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charleston
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 Prerunner, Black,3.4L
    3"Ebaich with 5100 Bilstiens, K&N cai, 5% 3M Tint, Magnaflow 18", Hella 500s with 35w 3000k hid retro, 33x9.5x15 BFG A/T
    got the zxe and love them

16. Jan 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    05TRD4WD

05TRD4WD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OFFROAD 4X4
    ; 17 x 9 xd revolvers wrapped in 295/70-R17, volant cold air intake, Gibson exhaust, BHLM, Yellow fog covers, access rollup tonneau, kenwood dnx-9960, all jl audio, jl stealth box, 900/5 amp, Fab Tech 6" lift
    i love these bulbs. they went on sale at advanced auto parts after i bought my first set, i got a set of highs, lows and fogs for my 06 4Runner

17. Jan 2, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    Really dumb question...what is the bulb number for our headlights? I have a 2011. Checked the manual and there's a hyphen where a number should be.

18. Jan 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

prolly a 9003/h4, thats what fits in my 2005. :D

Love them, didnt wanna go thru the bs of getting HID's again:rolleyes:

19. Jan 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    Alexb03

Alexb03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double cab
    3" lift, 285/75/16, navigation,
    I got a set for my headlights and fogs. Big difference at night! I will buy another set when these burn out.

20. Jan 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    Dr. Sleep

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DoubleCab SR5 4X4
    Not worth $60/year. Because in less than 5 years, you would have paid for a nice HID retrofit setup with projectors, very good ballasts, and nice HID bulbs -- all of which will outperform any halogen setup.

Products Discussed in

To Top