Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Sylvania zXe head light bulb

Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I will have to check these out.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I saw that they were pricey would like to see a pic of them lit up at night
Old 11-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
there definately bright, two friends of mine have them in there motorcycles. I cant justify spending $60 on bulbs, when sylvanias have a reputation for burning out early.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
JustATaco is on a distinguished road
JustATaco's Tacoma Gallery
ZXE's

Definitely pricey and a good chance they will burn out in less than a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Sylvania zXe head light bulb-img-20111010-00176.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Dr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant future

Air Force: Active Duty AF physician
Name: Shane
Dr. Sleep's Tacoma Gallery
I bought and installed a pair of Sylvania SilverStar Ultras a little less than 2 years ago, and one has already burned out. The don't last. . . . I'm not sure if it's Sylvania the company, or any "brighter" bulb that is the problem.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
yea can't justify spending 60 bucks on bulbs when you can spend a bit more and just get HID's, or spend half that and get a little bit less light
Old 12-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleep View Post
I bought and installed a pair of Sylvania SilverStar Ultras a little less than 2 years ago, and one has already burned out. The don't last. . . . I'm not sure if it's Sylvania the company, or any "brighter" bulb that is the problem.
I think the problem is people not reading the packaging and then complaining when they have a shortened lifespan. They have right in the box that they don't last as long. FWIW I've had Silverstar Ultras in my head and foglights for 2 years now and they've yet to go.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Dr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
I think the problem is people not reading the packaging and then complaining when they have a shortened lifespan. They have right in the box that they don't last as long. FWIW I've had Silverstar Ultras in my head and foglights for 2 years now and they've yet to go.
I challenge you to find anywhere on their website where they state these brighter bulbs have shorter lifespans.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
johnanm will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Pilot
johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
I installed zxe's about two weeks ag oand have been very impressed. Advance Auto has about a $10 instant rebate on them right now, or else I would have gotten something cheaper. I'm very impressed with the brightness and whiteness. They make driving at night more fun, really
Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
do I win anything?
Fair enough . . . you win. I was looking all over their product literature pages and not the FAQs. Average life = 1 year = I won't be buying these again. Maybe I'll just run my Off road lights until I get ticketed.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
altitan is on a distinguished road
altitan's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know about the website, but it does state on the package that they will have a shorter lifespan than a standard bulb. just picked up a set of these about two weeks ago, personally for the quality of light they put out its definitely worth spending $60 per year on.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
the issue is duty cycle you do not run your fogs nearly as much as your headlights do you?

the longer the duty cycle the more the heat builds up hence the shortened life span. all high performance halogens will return a shorter life span over the factory bulbs.

the next step in lighting is going to leds or hids and please for the love of god if you do step up to hid lighting retrofit projectors in your housings so you do not glare everyone else.

as of right now hids are the best lighting you can get leds are still finding there niche in the lighting world there is imo some work that still needs to be done to them for them to function with the performance of a quality xenon set-up.

edit at this point i have seen in person two cars at night equiped with the led headlights and my xenons blow them away no questions asked for what thats worth both where the lexus ls hybrid.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
the issue is duty cycle you do not run your fogs nearly as much as your headlights do you?

Actually my fogs get more use than my headlights since I always run my fogs with the headlights and in addition often run fogs and parking lights when headlights aren't needed. Not that it really matters I wasn't questioning why they last less I know why. Was merely pointing out that both my headlights and foglights have been going longer than these bulbs normally last and I installed both sets at the same time.

And as has been mentioned now, it both states it right on the website and on the packaging. The packaging(at least when I got my set) actually has little chart showing lifespan vs. brightness for their various bulbs and the Silverstars only have like one "dot" out of 4 or something for lifespan.

I've seen LED headlights on a couple Audi's and liked the look. Seemed to light well but haven't compared them to HID's and it's been a couple years since I've had a vehicle with HID's.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
hid lighting is still far ahead of the leds imo i have yet to see one that could come close to matching whats in my truck right now. lol i guess nothing really matches what i have now def nothing oem and it would take a quad set-up to best it really lol my lights are tarded man way bright.

the lexus ls hybrid i saw left me wondering what they where thinking on that one usually toyota and denso come to market with some of the best lighting on the road found on almost any car. so the leds just left me scratching my head.

i had the ls 460 projectors and they where crazy man! 10 lanes across easy and the 430's are the widest you can buy period they are pushing like 12 lanes wide. there is no led that i know of that can even come close to that at least one without an optic attached to it some how. thats what is going to set it all off for them more lumens and actual optics. like a projector of some type to trap and focus the light as opposed to the diffusers that are being used now a days.

and to respond to your comment about your silverstars lasting over two years with continuous use idk you must have got a good set then. most of the bulbs i have seen last a fraction of that time lol. also why are you running your fogs all the time it puts a load on the alternator for no reason if they are not needed meaning there is fog
Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
hid lighting is still far ahead of the leds imo
Get a HID offroad light and put it next to a LED offroad light. The LEDs are way brighter. Of course they are in housings built specifically for the light.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #17
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
got the zxe and love them
Old 01-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
05TRD4WD's Tacoma Gallery
i love these bulbs. they went on sale at advanced auto parts after i bought my first set, i got a set of highs, lows and fogs for my 06 4Runner
Old 01-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
Icepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really niceIcepuck72 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
Icepuck72's Tacoma Gallery
Really dumb question...what is the bulb number for our headlights? I have a 2011. Checked the manual and there's a hyphen where a number should be.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icepuck72 View Post
Really dumb question...what is the bulb number for our headlights? I have a 2011. Checked the manual and there's a hyphen where a number should be.

prolly a 9003/h4, thats what fits in my 2005.

Love them, didnt wanna go thru the bs of getting HID's again