Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

FX-R retro "things needed"

Old 11-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
FX-R retro "things needed"

i am getting ready to start my retro, i need some help with the items needed to complete this, i already have the dremel with assorted bits, i know i need expoxy/JB weld, i need help with the bolts i guess, so if anyone can make a list of all the things needed to complete this i would greatly appreciate this.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Don't Tread On Me
08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of

Navy: US NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC
Name: Adam
08PRELB's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of projectors are you retrofitting? I assume FX-R since you will be using a dremel.

You will need a small torx bit for the headlights. Also if you are going to take the reflector bowl out you can use an 8mm socket on the adjustment screws to take them out of the headlight housing.

I used 3" screws and nuts to attach the projector to reflector bowl and then cut them down the excess.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08PRELB View Post
What kind of projectors are you retrofitting? I assume FX-R since you will be using a dremel.

You will need a small torx bit for the headlights. Also if you are going to take the reflector bowl out you can use an 8mm socket on the adjustment screws to take them out of the headlight housing.

I used 3" screws and nuts to attach the projector to reflector bowl and then cut them down the excess.
3" screws/with nuts was what i was inquiring about, i think everything else is easy to figure out.
thnks for the reply
Old 11-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Don't Tread On Me
08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of

08PRELB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
3" screws/with nuts was what i was inquiring about, i think everything else is easy to figure out.
thnks for the reply
No problem man let me know if you need any more help and remember to take your time.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Dont want to thread jack but 08PRELB you goina be by Tulsa or Muskogee next year? Lol you can help me with mine
Old 11-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Don't Tread On Me

08PRELB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
Dont want to thread jack but 08PRELB you goina be by Tulsa or Muskogee next year? Lol you can help me with mine
I'm not sure but I wouldn't mind helping you just let me know.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
I have a question about the FX-R retrofit as well. I'm planning on doing one soon, I just need to save some cash for the parts. What I'm wondering is this, I don't want to use my stock headlights, partly because one tab is broken on the pass side, and I'd like to have the stock ones on standby should something happen. So I'll need new housings. My question is this, can I use some ebay housings, since I don't need the reflector to be perfect, or should I buy some stock replacements from Toyota?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes people have used the eBay ones for there retros. You should be fine with them, just remember to reseal them and you should be fine.

I might have to make a trip over to OKC one weekend when I get back from break.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice. Time to start saving the coin.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
8-32 size bolts for FX-R
Ben's on the money... I got the 3" long screws and cut them down with a dremel cutting wheel when I got the projector mounted to the reflector bowl.

Also, how about some washers for the back side of the reflector bowl. Here's Ben's thread with pics.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-retrofit.html

Also, a hole saw (to be used on drills) - maybe 2 1/8" in diameter would do fine.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
Don't Tread On Me

08PRELB's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you will need to use washers on the back side of the reflector bowl. As for the hole saw yes you can use one. yosh2000 told me when I was doing mine that a 2" hole saw is what he uses but you can use a dremel and a cutting wheel and sanding disks.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Ben's on the money... I got the 3" long screws and cut them down with a dremel cutting wheel when I got the projector mounted to the reflector bowl.

Also, how about some washers for the back side of the reflector bowl. Here's Ben's thread with pics.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-retrofit.html

Also, a hole saw (to be used on drills) - maybe 2 1/8" in diameter would do fine.
thanks dude... i'm still running with 1 projector. New ballast arrived from Canada yesterday so I can finally finish the other one.

OP not sure if you added this to the list yet, but I recommend White Silicone to attach the shroud to the projector. Some use a different combo of epoxy's and JB weld but I like the fact that the Silicone allows some flex and you can remove the shroud for whatever reason in the future if necessary (it happened to me).
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #15
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Ben do you have a pic of the silicone tube brand you used? There's too damn many to choose from out there
Old 12-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
Muy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Muy Grande's Tacoma Gallery
A few tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
i am getting ready to start my retro, i need some help with the items needed to complete this, i already have the dremel with assorted bits, i know i need expoxy/JB weld, i need help with the bolts i guess, so if anyone can make a list of all the things needed to complete this i would greatly appreciate this.

For the Headlights buy "Depo" brand lights. They sell them on Amazon already painted with the BHLM for $140 shipped. They are better than the ebay lights. The back housing is stronger.

For the shroud, I highly recommend you go with the "Orbit" Shroud with shroud rings. Trust me, these are the best fitting rings and will completely cover the projector. The Apollo Shrouds are too short and the Gatling Gun shrouds aren't as snug and don't cover the corners of the projector.

Other than that, get a 2" hole saw with a drill and drill from the outside of the bowl. Make sure it's aligned. Also put some masking tape along the edge of the bowl to keep from getting all scratched up. Expect to pay around $20 for this hole saw and get the one with a ton of shape teeth, it make your day easier. Also, expect to get a ton of fine dust all over the place so do it outside and use a mask....you don't want to breath that shit.

Good luck.

If you end up scratching up the bowl don't worry about it to much it will get painted (thats if you are painting the bowl) and most of it will get covered up anyway so imperfections are ok.

John
Old 12-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #19
Alaskan Assassin

907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muy Grande View Post
For the Headlights buy "Depo" brand lights. They sell them on Amazon already painted with the BHLM for $140 shipped. They are better than the ebay lights. The back housing is stronger.

For the shroud, I highly recommend you go with the "Orbit" Shroud with shroud rings. Trust me, these are the best fitting rings and will completely cover the projector. The Apollo Shrouds are too short and the Gatling Gun shrouds aren't as snug and don't cover the corners of the projector.

Other than that, get a 2" hole saw with a drill and drill from the outside of the bowl. Make sure it's aligned. Also put some masking tape along the edge of the bowl to keep from getting all scratched up. Expect to pay around $20 for this hole saw and get the one with a ton of shape teeth, it make your day easier. Also, expect to get a ton of fine dust all over the place so do it outside and use a mask....you don't want to breath that shit.

Good luck.

If you end up scratching up the bowl don't worry about it to much it will get painted (thats if you are painting the bowl) and most of it will get covered up anyway so imperfections are ok.

John
thnks for the tips