Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Best Headlight Replacement Bulb?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
hotrod77 is on a distinguished road
hotrod77's Tacoma Gallery
Best Headlight Replacement Bulb?

Hey all, I just ordered some new headlights from partsgeek.com ($75 with shipping for entire assembly w/ bulbs). Didn't think they'd include a bulb, and I was only shopping for a new lens as my olds ones are totally old and yellowed. The bulbs that came with the new lights are too dim.

Any recs on a good replacement (bright) bulb? Not looking to do a retrofit or replace the assembly, just want a little bit of performance above what I've got. The stock lights could be better, but they've treated me well so far, she's an old truck I'm just tryin' to keep lookin' good. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!

I like the Philips Xtreme bulbs or PIAA Xtreme White bulbs. Both have much better light output than stock.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Welcome!

I like the Philips Xtreme bulbs or PIAA Xtreme White bulbs. Both have much better light output than stock.
I hear the Philips are nice and bright but that they burn out in less than a year.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
I used to run PIAA Xtreme White's before i switched to HIDS, they were great halogens. Somewhat pricey, but worth it
Old 11-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I hear the Philips are nice and bright but that they burn out in less than a year.
Couldn't tell ya, I got hit and one of them blew because of the impact so I replaced them with PIAAs. I only had them for about 8 months at that time. FWIW, most of the brighter bulbs have a shorter life span and will even state as much on the box.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
bseant is on a distinguished road
bseant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
have you tried cleaning them or using the headlight resotration kits??

x2 even the worst headlights can be brought back to new. i just polished mine yesterday and they look brand new.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
fubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jose
fubar718's Tacoma Gallery
The Philips xtreme are better, I tried them all before I went to HID
still have the philips in all my family members cars and they are great
but do burn out quickly
Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod77 View Post
Any recs on a good replacement (bright) bulb? Not looking to do a retrofit or replace the assembly, just want a little bit of performance above what I've got. The stock lights could be better, but they've treated me well so far, she's an old truck I'm just tryin' to keep lookin' good. Thanks.
I've run PIAA Intense White bulbs for years. I'm very happy with whiteness, brightness, and reliability. (They're available for $44/pr from Amazon.)
Note that while the Intense Whites have a blue appearance when off, the light they throw is WHITE, without even the slightest hint of blue.

I've also heard good things about Philips X-treme Power bulbs, which are available for $29/pr from Amazon, and OSRAM Night-Breakers, available from Amazon for $40/pr.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
rdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Officer
Name: Rick
rdm197aps's Tacoma Gallery
ive used the PIAA and Phillips on my motorcycle, and they lasted about 4 months... went to the SilverStar Ultras and they last abouta year...
Old 12-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm197aps View Post
ive used the PIAA and Phillips on my motorcycle, and they lasted about 4 months... went to the SilverStar Ultras and they last abouta year...
I've heard the exact opposite. Funny. I just put Phillips in my truck this morning and boxed up the factory bulbs for emergency replacement. We'll see how long the Phillips last.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
here is a link to help you choose a bulb and give you some ideas of whats out there and what not
to buy.
http://www.clearcorners.com/tech/001/
http://www.clearcorners.com/tech/002/
Might be informative, if it weren't so nebulous. No specific brands. No specific models. Just lots of implications, leaving it to readers to infer their own conclusions.

I've run many different headlights, including stock, and am much happier with my current choice. First-hand experience trumps marketing propaganda, for me.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
WebRat is on a distinguished road

WebRat's Tacoma Gallery
PIAA Night Tech H4 Bulb 60/55 watt / 3600K - Good lights,cleaner white light makes objects show up better. Didn't notice it as mucharound town compared to county. I bought them at the dealership before doing a comparison. Might go a little brighter next timelike those "PIAA Xtreme White Plus".
Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #15
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Philips xtreme power hands down. Stay away from the blue coated bulbs
Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
09DBLCAB09 is on a distinguished road
09DBLCAB09's Tacoma Gallery
HID conversion kit
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09DBLCAB09 View Post
HID conversion kit
Only if you put them in projectors... otherwise you just get a lot of scattered light, very little of which actually going in a useful direction or pattern.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #18
Maximuslion is on a distinguished road

Maximuslion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
Philips xtreme power hands down. Stay away from the blue coated bulbs
the PIAA are blue coated....whats your negative on the blue coated bulbs?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximuslion View Post
the PIAA are blue coated....whats your negative on the blue coated bulbs?
It's the same as tinting your windows. Any coating added to a bulb just essentially dims the bulb to get a particular color. Personally, I've got the PIAA bulbs and think they're very bright and I love them.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
most high performance bulbs...
will only be as good as their power supply.

I suggest upgrading the wiring harness
and draw directly off the battery.

I used cheap butt ebay light bulbs...
and they have stayed working for nearly 8 years.

More important then the bulbs used...
is the lesser resistance of a quality harness.
I believe the resistance is what shortens life
of otherwise quality bulbs.

Only recently I upgraded to some HO bulbs (47K 90/100w)...
and I'm glad I upgraded the harness for that extra power.
so far... the harness handles the extra wattage just fine

Products Discussed in this Thread