1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Retrofitters - Anyone experience broken D2S bulb tabs/lugs?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by morphius, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Nov 30, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    morphius

morphius [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Retrofitters,
    Has anyone experienced issues breaking D2S bulb tabs/lugs on Morimoto 50W bulbs as this?

Attached is a picture of a stock photo of a Philips D2S bulb tabs/lugs & where the D2S connector from the ballast aligns, pushes in and twists to lock into place (and reverse to remove).

I've done 3 retrofits, including my own 2010 and 2 buddies 2009 Tacomas. All of which were 35W Moritmoto D2S kits from TRS. I wanted more output on my setup and upgraded to the Morimoto 50W ballasts and bulbs. I temporarily installed the 50W bulbs & ballasts to check the light output. I am very happy with the 50W 5000K combination.

When I removed the D2S connector and ballasts to locktite the mounting screws to the metal mounting strips on the ballasts (which had loose treads), I saw that the tabs/lugs/prongs on the Morimoto 50W bulbs broke off. 1 on the passenger side bulb and both on the driver side bulb. The yellow rubber cap also came off the D2S connector and stayed on the bulb.

I called Matt at TRS who indicated this is not a product warranty problem due to human error/negligence. He gave me a price break on a replacement set of bulbs. They arrive later this week.

Anyone with such issues? Should I consider some type of dielectric grease or something else to reduce friction?

I'll definitely be removing the windshield wiper fluid tank and the battery this time around just to get more working room just as a precaution.

I don't want this to happen again.

BrokenD2SLugs.jpg
    D2S connectors.jpg

2. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    SMG

SMG Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off Road Premium
    OEM LED Headlights, TRD Pro Taillights.
    How did you make out with this? I had the exact same thing happen to me today with a set of Morimoto bulbs... Like you I've owned several retrofitted cars and I've never broken a D2S base until now and it happened on both sides!:eek:

Now I have wood blocks and cedar shims between the D2S sockets and the battery and airbox to hold the bulbs in place because this is my daily driver. :mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top