LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Easiest Way to Get HID headlights in a 1st Generation?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Killer is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Killer's Tacoma Gallery
Easiest Way to Get HID headlights in a 1st Generation?

My headlights in my 1998 TRD are yellowing. I am not sure if they are glass or plastic?

I thought about doing a 3M Headlight restoration but, I have read some negatives on that. So if I am going to replace the whole headlights, I might as well get something better, if it is not to much more work.

So what is the easiest way to get HID headlights in a 1st Generation? I would prefer plug and play.

Thanks for your help,

Ryan
Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Buy new headlights. Purchase an HID kit. I installed 35w 5000k kit from Hidextra last night. So far, I like em. Still need to adjust them though. I got the kit on black friday from them for $30. Regularly $60.

On another note, you could always try sanding your current headlights down past the clear and polish and re-apply a clear coat to them.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't do new headlights, I just used the Mother's Powerball restoration kit on my wife's Jetta. The plastic lenses were in very bad shape. The kit worked well. If your lights are really bad, it amounts to wet sanding with our different grits (supplied in the kit), then polishing. $20. Easy peasy.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
basically if you get a h4 HID kit, they're all plug and play. took me about 20 mins to instal. ez

the housings are plastic, any headlight restoration kit should help with the yellowing, though if you overdo it you can scratch the lens
Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
There are new headlights on e-bay that come with HID kits. (Unfortunately I saw it right after I ordered my new lights so I don't have the HID.)