Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Best anti-theft method for offroad lights

Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
pLon is on a distinguished road

Name: Heriberto
pLon's Tacoma Gallery
Best anti-theft method for offroad lights

I was wondering what mods can be done to protect your $300+ each HID lights on your truck? I've seen some anti-theft nuts but those aren't that hard to cut and take the lights off in my opinion, some other people just put a small weld on the nut after the light is in place but this is a permanent mod and you can't remove them anymore right?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't want to weld, thread locker will work. If someone really wants them, they can just cut the bolt off and it's theirs. Even if you weld the nut, with a small cheater bar, you could easily snap the whole bolt right off. You can slow people down, but there's nothing you can do to 100% prevent theft.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #3

pLon's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Tijuana, the truck sleeps inside of my garage so there's no worries at night it's very secured, but any parking is a theft possibility, then the best option would be to take the lights on and off depending if I need them to offroad or if I'm just going for groceries to the market right?, by the way the lights are 3 HID Soltek La Paz and 2 Rigid Industries Dually so I'll hate to loose those since I worked very hard to get them
Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Weld the bolts or use some kind of security hardware.

http://www.tamperproof.com/
Old 12-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

pLon's Tacoma Gallery
hahaha hope that was possible
Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #7

pLon's Tacoma Gallery
This site has some cool stuff, thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Weld the bolts or use some kind of security hardware.

http://www.tamperproof.com/
Old 12-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
musty40 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
musty40's Tacoma Gallery
Some more options:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#tamper-resistant-nuts/=f6xi7q
Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Texio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to behold

Texio's Tacoma Gallery
This:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...group-buy.html

That way they have to go trough your hood to get to them...
Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by pLon View Post
This site has some cool stuff, thanks for the link
No problem pelon.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #11

pLon's Tacoma Gallery
Tnx Alan and Texio,
Texio the thing is that I'm having a front bumper being built something as Special_K's used to had (KR fab) so I'm installing all my lights there, but thanks for the idea
I just had another idea, since the Baja Designs have 3 mounting screws, the base for each light will have a hole in the center and at both sides a half moon to be able to rotate side-to-side the light (up and down is adjusted with the screw on top of the lights), and all 3 mounting screws with a nut soldered as a limiter and another nut in the middle to keep it tight or loosen it to rotate the light (this middle nut with tread lock or the security nuts that have plastic inside so they don't twist easily), I don't know if you can imagine what's on my mind lol
Old 12-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
red thread locker if they get through a good dose of that there either getting my glock or my lights could go either way.
I would second the thread locker idea. Perhaps in addition to security type nuts. And then get an alarm with two way remote and microwave sensors that will trigger the alarm if someone stands next to the truck for too long. They don't actually have to touch it.

A family member has this type of alarm on his fully restored Bronco. Go stand within three feet of the Bronco and the alarm chirps and activates a single green light on the pager/remote. If you continue to stand there, it chirps again and activates a second light on the pager. The pager also beeps this time. Further loitering will go to full alarm, red light and beeping on the pager. It is the only sure fire way to get him out of bed on a Saturday morning.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #15

pLon's Tacoma Gallery
Yes definitely I'll be using grade 8 bolts, because no mater what security locks you use if the bolt can be sawed easily, then my idea is to weld a nut at the bottom giving enough room to adjust headlights horizontally and another nut to tighten the lights in place with red thread lock, thank you all for your ideas I'll speak with the guy that will custom fab the bumper
Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Stake the threads with a chisel, red threadlocker, or weld. Still won't stop a determined theif. The best you can do is slow them down.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #17

pLon's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you can only slow them down, good thing I have a 2-way Viper alarm, so I will be advised when it gets triggered, this way they only have about 5min tops until I get there

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Stake the threads with a chisel, red threadlocker, or weld. Still won't stop a determined theif. The best you can do is slow them down.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #18
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
my GF's dad had these laying around. He only had two, so I snagged both of them

The top requires a key that you would put in your socket wrench

Old 12-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #19

pLon's Tacoma Gallery
I think I will have the light bar fabricated plug and play, to put it away when I'm not off-roading, also I wanted to ask what are the California laws for off road lights, you have to have them covered (even if the covers are clear)? Unplugged?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.568235,-116.585793
Old 12-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #20
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pLon View Post
I think I will have the light bar fabricated plug and play, to put it away when I'm not off-roading, also I wanted to ask what are the California laws for off road lights, you have to have them covered (even if the covers are clear)? Unplugged?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.568235,-116.585793
In CA, you can only have 4 uncovered lights. So if you got 2 headlights, and 2 fog lights, everything else needs to be covered. Doesn't have to be unplugged