Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye

Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Muy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Muy Grande's Tacoma Gallery
A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye

Well I'm just going to use some space on TW to document Greg's Retro Project. This one will be a little different but not by much......

Gregs Project features the following:

1. Depo Headlights from Amazon - w/ BHLM
2. Morimoto Bi-xenon D2S Mini Projectors w/ 3five Ballast and Bulbs
3. Red - painted Shroud Red "The Redeye" - I could probably paint the projector shield to give it a true redeye but I'm not sure at this point if that is necessary.

I have discovered that during this Retrofit, the Depo Headlights from Amazon are probably the best aftermarket headlights you can buy to do a retrofit. The rear housing is 10x more sturdy than the ebay housings. Also the bowl socket will not interchange into the Depo/ebay rear housing. Amazon headlights will run you about $140 compared to the cheapest ebay price that I've found of about $110. They are worth the extra $30.

Now for the pics......
Attached Thumbnails
A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye-black-bowls.jpg   A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye-red-shrouds.jpg   A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye-bowl-housing.jpg   A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye-painted-inner-surround-1.jpg   A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye-painted-surround-red-shroud.jpg  

A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye-mock-up-1.jpg   A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye-mock-up-2.jpg  
Old 12-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
Hot damn! Those look amazing! Can't wait to see/get the finished product!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Hod do you get the projector in there after it's sealed up? Or is the lens just set on in the last 2 pics, not actually sealed in?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Hod do you get the projector in there after it's sealed up? Or is the lens just set on in the last 2 pics, not actually sealed in?
You take the lens off by baking it to break apart the sealer, pull out the thing that covers the original bulb(refactor I think it's called), put the projector in the hole where the bulbs and stuff used to be, level the beam, tighten it down with the lock nut on the back, the reseal it, and finally reinstall the assembly.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It has to be, cause you ain't putting no Mori's in from the back. I reckon he's just giving us a teaser pic of what's to come.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You take the lens off by baking it to break apart the sealer, pull out the thing that covers the original bulb(refactor I think it's called), put the projector in the hole where the bulbs and stuff used to be, level the beam, tighten it down with the lock nut on the back, the reseal it, and finally reinstall the assembly.
That part is understood. What Pugga is saying is the lens is back on the headlight and the projector is not installed yet. I would assume the OP just has the lenses sitting on the headlight.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I'm guessing he just set the lens on top to get an idea what it's going to look like. that way he doesn't have to bake them again to pry them apart to get the projector in it.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 12-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
That part is understood. What Pugga is saying is the lens is back on the headlight and the projector is not installed yet. I would assume the OP just has the lenses sitting on the headlight.
Oh I misunderstood/misread it yea that's what it looks like the op is doing.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
Muy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

They were just mocked up.....not complete yet. I was waiting for the alignment rings in the mail. Now to get them aligned and sealed.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant, seemed like a lot of work to seal them just to tear them apart again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muy Grande View Post
They were just mocked up.....not complete yet. I was waiting for the alignment rings in the mail. Now to get them aligned and sealed.
Looks great! Definitely original, Greg's set is going to look nice
Old 12-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Cheeba Chief
Nicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Nicks4x4LT's Tacoma Gallery
These look really nice man! so would these projectors work with any hid bulb and ballast or does it have a specific one that needs to be used?
I may be interested in a set if your still doing these.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
Cheeba Chief
Nicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
d2s bulb
sorry, i meant like brand-wise.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibaChief View Post
sorry, i meant like brand-wise.

You get what you pay for....so to answer your question yes. If you buy the cheap ebay D2S bulbs the light output will not be as good as a set from TRS or better yet the Germany made bulbs.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #17
Cheeba Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muy Grande View Post
You get what you pay for....so to answer your question yes. If you buy the cheap ebay D2S bulbs the light output will not be as good as a set from TRS or better yet the Germany made bulbs.
i have a set of the germany made bulbs, i just wanted to be sure that projectors werent for a specific brand, thanks
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
Cheeba Chief

pm sent.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
Cybertronian Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
good choice of housings op the depot brand are the best aftermarket housings you can get next to tyc. they are the only ones i would use.

not a fan of the red shrouds though or the d2's lol. blacked out with the shield painted and mini H1's for the win
I just went with what john recommended. I don't even know what the difference between the D2's and the mini h1 is. I trust his judgement though.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #20

Some more pics......

Here are the little rings that held up the whole process a week......and a few with the projectors on. Just waiting for them to dry now. It's raining so an alignment might not get done until tomorrow or the next.
Attached Thumbnails
A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye-alignment-rings.jpg   A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye-projector-installed.jpg   A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye-projector-installed-2.jpg