1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What brand are the OEM headlight bulbs?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bendbolden, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    bendbolden

bendbolden [OP] Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Anyone know what manufacturer Toyota gets the original bulbs from? I am going to try them rather than paying $50 for silverstars that will last less than a year. I know they probably won't be as bright but I mean they aren't putting cheap bulbs in them to begin with are they? My wife got a 2010 Camry last year and I am really impressed with the bulbs in it. Granted hers has projectors for the lows and reflectors for the highs but stilll looks good. I don't really like my bulbs extremely white anyways. I am going for something that is going to last more than a year.

2. Dec 5, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    That's what I was thinking. I do not want to do retrofits so I will just go with factory bulbs and get a light bar with lights. My neighbor is the parts man at the dealership and will give me a set for cost.

3. Dec 15, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    Dr. Sleep

Dr. Sleep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DoubleCab SR5 4X4
    Put in Sylvania Ultras about 18 months ago. 1 bulb just went out. Not an acceptable lifespan. I'm not sure what the problem is -- brighter bulbs not designed for the voltage Toyota is sending to them or if it's the manufacturer or what.

4. Dec 15, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    I think it is just that they burn brighter/more intense so they just don't last as long. I went with the osrams from the dealer and am happy with them. They aren't as bright but I know they will last. As many have said I am just going to put some money into offroad lights.

5. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    this^

unless your willing to retrofit with some quality projectors and such there is no point in going to hid. it looks terrible and glares others in situations where there is less ambient light. the factory bulbs are a bulb that will last but, as you had mentioned they are not that bright.

one solution for off road lights that would fill the foreground with light and down the road a bit are the vision-x solstice cubes i cannot tell you how happy i am with mine they are awesome dude. 2 in the flood pattern and 2 in the euro beam works amazing wonders at night. the good thing about them is its not a true light bar it just appears that way they are actually modular units self contained.

this is good for 3 reasons if one should go down you can just replace it straight off with another unit and not have to remove your entire light bar from the truck. you can add as many as you like and have as many different beam configs as you want place them any where either connected or single or in small groups. also the price is significantly cheaper than some of the big bars. i would catagorize the light as 4200k or 4k the temp is softer white than oem xenons and more usable because of it the leds are by no means pure white or blue in any way.

here is a couple way's i have had them mounted on my truck. 1 way was all singles which functioned the best imo and looked nice on the light bar and the way i have them now to increase the hot spot of light in the center of my cut off and the floods still completely fill the foreground with light i have them formed into a mini light bar on my arb :)

IMAG0451.jpg
    DSC00103.jpg
    DSC00094.jpg

6. Dec 15, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Personally I don't mind the lifespan... It's the cost of the silver stars that's out of control...

Tntucker1 likes this.
  7. Dec 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    cost plus life span is what makes them not a good choice you will most likely have to replace them 3 or 4 times before the stock osrams would burn out.

8. Dec 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Yeah same here. I don't mind changing them at all as it's really easy. Just can't justify paying that much for something that isn't THAT much brighter. I will just have to slow down and look closer for Bambi.:D

9. Dec 15, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    or light force vision-x rigid.

10. Dec 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Silverstars are trash marketed to people who want fake HIDs, basically.

Good bulbs by any of the reputable makers are fine, but if you want something impressive without modifications to your truck try the Osram Rallye 70/65w bulbs. They are nice, and the high beams give you 2000 lumens, over stock of I think maybe 1300.

$20/each from Candlepowerinc.com.

HIDs are generally about 3000 lumens, 3500? I can't remember.

11. Jul 6, 2015 at 10:45 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    FYI the silverstars are Osrams (as are the stocks) with Sylvania branding.

12. Jul 6, 2015 at 11:09 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The Silverstars are not a good deal:

13. Jul 6, 2015 at 11:17 PM
    Jareds Toyota

Jareds Toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD Sport
    Before I did a retrofit I bought sylvania silverstars thinking they would be a nice alternative.. They both went out within the same week 6 months after purchasing them.

SR-71A likes this.
  14. Jul 6, 2015 at 11:32 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Yeah I went in today looking for a brighter than stock bulb. After reading into things a bit and looking at those numbers (as well as the print on the bases of the bulbs themselves), I wasn't entirely sure I was getting anything different than the stock bulb I already have (besides a blue coating). The silver star ultras had three "bands" on the bulb. One clear, one light blue, and one dark blue. The non ultra silverstars had a very slight blue tint on the whole thing. The Xtravision had no coating. But based on the numbers, they appear to all be the same bulb, differing only in the different coatings. Taking this a step further, to get the same "visible output" in a brighter bulb, they'd have to ramp up on loading the filament (decreasing bulb life). But with the coating, some of that visible light is ineffective (although the it would appear "whiter"). Long story short, I felt like I'd be spending $40 for VERY marginally better output (and maybe no better output- just whiter) at the expense of bulb life. So I walked out happy with my current set up of stock bulbs and didn't have to do an install. I imagine this to be the case with any of the "high end" bulbs. Ha still tempted though... It is what it is.

Products Discussed in

To Top