Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

What brand are the OEM headlight bulbs?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
bendbolden's Tacoma Gallery
What brand are the OEM headlight bulbs?

Anyone know what manufacturer Toyota gets the original bulbs from? I am going to try them rather than paying $50 for silverstars that will last less than a year. I know they probably won't be as bright but I mean they aren't putting cheap bulbs in them to begin with are they? My wife got a 2010 Camry last year and I am really impressed with the bulbs in it. Granted hers has projectors for the lows and reflectors for the highs but stilll looks good. I don't really like my bulbs extremely white anyways. I am going for something that is going to last more than a year.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's what I was thinking. I do not want to do retrofits so I will just go with factory bulbs and get a light bar with lights. My neighbor is the parts man at the dealership and will give me a set for cost.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Dr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant future

Air Force: Active Duty AF physician
Name: Shane
Dr. Sleep's Tacoma Gallery
Put in Sylvania Ultras about 18 months ago. 1 bulb just went out. Not an acceptable lifespan. I'm not sure what the problem is -- brighter bulbs not designed for the voltage Toyota is sending to them or if it's the manufacturer or what.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
Come and take them.

I think it is just that they burn brighter/more intense so they just don't last as long. I went with the osrams from the dealer and am happy with them. They aren't as bright but I know they will last. As many have said I am just going to put some money into offroad lights.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
this^

unless your willing to retrofit with some quality projectors and such there is no point in going to hid. it looks terrible and glares others in situations where there is less ambient light. the factory bulbs are a bulb that will last but, as you had mentioned they are not that bright.

one solution for off road lights that would fill the foreground with light and down the road a bit are the vision-x solstice cubes i cannot tell you how happy i am with mine they are awesome dude. 2 in the flood pattern and 2 in the euro beam works amazing wonders at night. the good thing about them is its not a true light bar it just appears that way they are actually modular units self contained.

this is good for 3 reasons if one should go down you can just replace it straight off with another unit and not have to remove your entire light bar from the truck. you can add as many as you like and have as many different beam configs as you want place them any where either connected or single or in small groups. also the price is significantly cheaper than some of the big bars. i would catagorize the light as 4200k or 4k the temp is softer white than oem xenons and more usable because of it the leds are by no means pure white or blue in any way.

here is a couple way's i have had them mounted on my truck. 1 way was all singles which functioned the best imo and looked nice on the light bar and the way i have them now to increase the hot spot of light in the center of my cut off and the floods still completely fill the foreground with light i have them formed into a mini light bar on my arb
Attached Thumbnails
What brand are the OEM headlight bulbs?-imag0451.jpg   What brand are the OEM headlight bulbs?-dsc00103.jpg   What brand are the OEM headlight bulbs?-dsc00094.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I don't mind the lifespan... It's the cost of the silver stars that's out of control...
Old 12-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Come and take them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
cost plus life span is what makes them not a good choice you will most likely have to replace them 3 or 4 times before the stock osrams would burn out.
Yeah same here. I don't mind changing them at all as it's really easy. Just can't justify paying that much for something that isn't THAT much brighter. I will just have to slow down and look closer for Bambi.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Silverstars are trash marketed to people who want fake HIDs, basically.

Good bulbs by any of the reputable makers are fine, but if you want something impressive without modifications to your truck try the Osram Rallye 70/65w bulbs. They are nice, and the high beams give you 2000 lumens, over stock of I think maybe 1300.

$20/each from Candlepowerinc.com.

HIDs are generally about 3000 lumens, 3500? I can't remember.