Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID FAQ

Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1986s View Post
Great write-up and informative...TacoRidah - a 10,000K will be very purple and extremely dim, definitely try to stay between 4,000K and 5,000K for best visibility.
my friend that has the Mazda I mentioned. I think his are 5k, I know they are fairly white (his HL housings are freaking fogged up BADDD, but the HID light still gets through) but I mean it's BRIGHT! I'm def. going to be getting something that isn't THAT bright cause as I said, even being IN the vehicle and looking my head started to hurt like I was getting a migraine. Was NOT a fun drive down the block or two for me.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #23
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
The human eye was designed to see best in sunlight, and that happens to be 4,300K also. The closer to 4,300K your HID bulbs are in the correct housing you'll be amazed how much your eyes will "relax" at night because they aren't straining to see things.

I wonder how many years until the Fed gov't says HID are now standard in all cars,

Once you have a set it's very hard to not want them again.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
When I had HID's I ran 4300k and the output was amazing, even in stock head light assemblies.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #25
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I put a set of 4300K in an old RSX I had and I LOVED the output, however I probably ticked off a lot of people as they weren't in projector lenses but I miss the light output!

Hey made my high beams look yellow!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #26
Jbob72 is on a distinguished road
Jbob72's Tacoma Gallery
I apologize if this is a stupid question but if I were to buy a projector headlight housing and and HID conversion kit would this be both low beam and high beam? Or would I have to purchase two HID conversion kits if I wanted my high beams to be HID as well?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #27
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash127 View Post
Apologies if this is a stupid question but are HID and Xenon light the same thing? If not which is better? I keep seeing conflicting information when I look into it online.
Primarily to bump the thread since we seem to have a new crop of people wanting to P&P, but to answer the question....

Yes and no.

Yes, HID and Xenon are the same thing.

No, much of what you see on eBay tagged as "Xenon" are simply halogen bulbs with a blue tint added to the envelope.
They burn whiter, but put out less light than stock.

Xenon is a halogen gas, but HID lights are "High Intensity Discharge"... Two electrodes run a spark through Xenon gas, much like a florescent or neon light.
Xenon gas surrounding a filament is not HID.

So... HID is Xenon.
Xenon is not always HID.

And to add an image for the thread listing...

Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #28
2013NauticalTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
2013NauticalTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Primarily to bump the thread since we seem to have a new crop of people wanting to P&P, but to answer the question....

Yes and no.

Yes, HID and Xenon are the same thing.

No, much of what you see on eBay tagged as "Xenon" are simply halogen bulbs with a blue tint added to the envelope.
They burn whiter, but put out less light than stock.

Xenon is a halogen gas, but HID lights are "High Intensity Discharge"... Two electrodes run a spark through Xenon gas, much like a florescent or neon light.
Xenon gas surrounding a filament is not HID.

So... HID is Xenon.
Xenon is not always HID.

And to add an image for the thread listing...

Rich
Where did you find your HID's with projectors at? They look pretty sick
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013NauticalTaco View Post
Rich
Where did you find your HID's with projectors at? They look pretty sick
The Retrofit Source.
Those are the D2S projectors with Philips 4300k lamps.
The D2S projectors replace the 9003 lamp, but of course the housing must be split so it's a weekend project.

The Retrofit Source is a supporting vendor, and they frequently have group buys going, 25% off.

Ambiguous is currently running a group buy.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
1YOTA6
1YOTA6 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
1YOTA6's Tacoma Gallery
how does the TRS system that a lot of members are talking about recently on here compared to, better or worse, then say customlightz.com or other sites ive read about in posts on TW

just looking for the best input, thanks
I looking to get into doing a retrofit kit for the first time and wondering the best places to get the right quality parts and any how-to's step by step

thanks for any help
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #31
Seriously?!!
forsythfd922 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
forsythfd922's Tacoma Gallery
@Rich, who is this "Ambiguous" that you speak of? Have a URL or a place I could find them? Interested in doing some HID stuff on my Taco
Old 03-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #32
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythfd922 View Post
@Rich, who is this "Ambiguous" that you speak of? Have a URL or a place I could find them? Interested in doing some HID stuff on my Taco
Here you go.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...down-time.html
Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #33
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1YOTA6 View Post
how does the TRS system that a lot of members are talking about recently on here compared to, better or worse, then say customlightz.com or other sites ive read about in posts on TW

just looking for the best input, thanks
I looking to get into doing a retrofit kit for the first time and wondering the best places to get the right quality parts and any how-to's step by step

thanks for any help
I would go with TRS, great customer service and a very high quality product, plus you can find a lot of information on how to do the retrofit using their product.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #34
Seriously?!!
forsythfd922 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
forsythfd922's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! I was thinking it was a company like The RetroFit Source, lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #35
Hockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to all
Name: Kaleb
Hockeyman90's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up. Sub'd.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
SkyGuy19 is on a distinguished road
Name: Sky
SkyGuy19's Tacoma Gallery
So if I may what is your opinion on these sets I lights I know eBay... This is my first choice it doesn't say anything about hids but yea which would be the better choice besides the price difference...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330639384961?redirect=mobile

Or

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=17185225535

Thanks...
Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #37
Rascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
Rascal737's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyGuy19 View Post
So if I may what is your opinion on these sets I lights I know eBay... This is my first choice it doesn't say anything about hids but yea which would be the better choice besides the price difference...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330639384961?redirect=mobile

Or

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=17185225535

Thanks...
I bought the second set...the projectors in them sucked...the cut-off line wasnt straight and had bleed through...light output was worse than stock. I'm sure the first set would be about the same...I ended up retrofitting the ebay ones i bought with projectors from www.theretrofitsource.com
Old 05-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #38
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal737 View Post
I bought the second set...the projectors in them sucked...the cut-off line wasnt straight and had bleed through...light output was worse than stock. I'm sure the first set would be about the same...I ended up retrofitting the ebay ones i bought with projectors from www.theretrofitsource.com
bahahaha, thank u for being honest.

those things are quite terrible arent they?

so u did what Moose did too?
thats a lot of work, congrats
Old 05-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #39
Rascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
Rascal737's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
bahahaha, thank u for being honest.

those things are quite terrible arent they?

so u did what Moose did too?
thats a lot of work, congrats
yeah...along the same line as moose...it wasn't too bad of a retrofit...I'm glad i did it thou!