Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID FAQ

Old 06-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #41
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndawg View Post
so do you think ebay projectors are worth it?
nope. Build your own and be happy with them.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #42
Corndawg has a spectacular aura aboutCorndawg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Corey
Corndawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
i currently put the PIAA replacement bulbs, the light out put is alot better than stock..

i want retro's but cash is tight, and i would rather spend on other mods... BHLM im thinking. if i grow a set to put them into the oven
Old 06-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #43
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndawg View Post
i currently put the PIAA replacement bulbs, the light out put is alot better than stock..

i want retro's but cash is tight, and i would rather spend on other mods... BHLM im thinking. if i grow a set to put them into the oven
Well if you were thinking about putting however much towards ebay lights, save yourself the trouble and invest it in proper projectors and save yourself in the long run. Plus you can do the Retrofit and bhlm all at the same time and save you some baking trouble.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #44
El TacoBender is on a distinguished road
Air Force: VM
Name: Manuel
El TacoBender's Tacoma Gallery
Question

so ive been reading and saw that retrofit kits are shit. theres so much info on hid's i dnt know what kit to get for my truck lol i heard great things for that morimoto elite kit but then what are projectors for? would i still need to buy those for the mori kit?
Old 06-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #45
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by El TacoBender View Post
so ive been reading and saw that retrofit kits are shit. theres so much info on hid's i dnt know what kit to get for my truck lol i heard great things for that morimoto elite kit but then what are projectors for? would i still need to buy those for the mori kit?
It depends if you wanna do a proper retrofit or if you just wanna run HIDs?
Old 06-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #46
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Visit hidplanet.com
Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #47
El TacoBender is on a distinguished road
Air Force: VM
Name: Manuel
El TacoBender's Tacoma Gallery
i want to do a proper fit. i like quality. what does a proper fit consist of?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #48
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by El TacoBender View Post
i want to do a proper fit. i like quality. what does a proper fit consist of?
Proper RETROfit... not just proper fit.

A proper retrofit entails opening the housing up and installing quality projectors like the Morimoto D2S or H1 and re-sealing the housing.

The "plug-in" kits that only replace the lamps glare badly and will blind other drivers.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #49
Lynnspeed is on a distinguished road

Name: Lynn
Lynnspeed's Tacoma Gallery
WOW all of this is very confusing. I would like HID lights in my truck but have no clue if it is worth it or which ones are best. What do you guys recommend? I have to replace my headlights do to an accident, but I don't know if I should go stock smoke with a brighter bulb or HID. I had HIDs in my last two cars and really like them. If you suggest a brighter bulb for the stock housing what bulbs do you suggest?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #50
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnspeed View Post
WOW all of this is very confusing. I would like HID lights in my truck but have no clue if it is worth it or which ones are best. What do you guys recommend? I have to replace my headlights do to an accident, but I don't know if I should go stock smoke with a brighter bulb or HID. I had HIDs in my last two cars and really like them. If you suggest a brighter bulb for the stock housing what bulbs do you suggest?

Thanks
Did your last two cars have projectors?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #51
Lynnspeed is on a distinguished road

Name: Lynn
Lynnspeed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did your last two cars have projectors?

My Mazda had just aftermarket HIDs put in and My 2011 Camaro was stock, so sad to say I'm not too sure what it had beside HIDs... I don't think they were projectors
Old 06-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #52
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnspeed View Post
My Mazda had just aftermarket HIDs put in and My 2011 Camaro was stock, so sad to say I'm not too sure what it had beside HIDs... I don't think they were projectors
Well if you run HIDs in our trucks stock headlight, you will produce a bad glare for other drivers, If you install projectors to your stock headlights it will focus the HIDs light into a clean cutoff and will have the best light output. This http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227 is the best place to get your HIDs, Ballasts, Harness, Projectors and shrouds from. If you already have HIDs, then you can just buy the projectors, harness, and shroud.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #53
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
If you got the skillz to pay the bills lol..
Old 06-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #54

waheed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I WISH I could lol....I have self confidene but just not the oven skills and electro know how....
Old 06-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #55

waheed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal737 View Post
I bought the second set...the projectors in them sucked...the cut-off line wasnt straight and had bleed through...light output was worse than stock. I'm sure the first set would be about the same...I ended up retrofitting the ebay ones i bought with projectors from www.theretrofitsource.com
I have been askin this guy to help me for ages ......BUT he is a busy man
Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #56

waheed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The Retrofit Source.
Those are the D2S projectors with Philips 4300k lamps.
The D2S projectors replace the 9003 lamp, but of course the housing must be split so it's a weekend project.

The Retrofit Source is a supporting vendor, and they frequently have group buys going, 25% off.

Ambiguous is currently running a group buy.
You better be good at bakin muffins..
Old 07-21-2013, 03:27 AM   #57
InlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Paul
InlandMan's Tacoma Gallery
This is helped me a lot! Thank you!

I'm curios about two different products. One is a single unit piece and the other is the two pieces just like what I already have. Is it better to have the single contiguous piece?

Also, the link provided above suggests that there is no high beam with the standard HID purchase and is an additional option. Does that mean it's an additional set of lights? Does that mean it requires another set of starters and ballast? The information says that without the high beam option they include standard halogen bulbs for the high beams.

http://www.xtralights.com/01-04toyot...itpackage.aspx

Old 07-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #58
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandMan View Post
Also, the link provided above suggests that there is no high beam with the standard HID purchase and is an additional option. Does that mean it's an additional set of lights? Does that mean it requires another set of starters and ballast? The information says that without the high beam option they include standard halogen bulbs for the high beams.

Do not run HID in those housings.
They were not designed for HID and will glare badly (CHP is cracking down)... those are just (poor quality) stock replacements. The first one combines the turn signal housing with the headlight housing. Those housing will fog up the first time it rains.

The HID/Halogen combination lights are VERY old (like 2004) style. Even on the cheapass "plug and play" kits, the 9003 replacements have a solenoid that moves the burner to change to high beam. Looks like Xtralights is trying to move some old inventory with these packages.

HID are not practical as a separate lamp for high beam, which is why Extralights uses a halogen. HID requires about 5-10 seconds to settle in to full brightness. When first turned on, there is a quick "flash" as they ignite, then they slowly come up to temperature.
Also, rapid turn-on/shut-off of an HID lamp (like flashing your high beams at an oncoming driver or to indicate passing) will degrade the burners and significantly shorten their life.

Yes, every HID burner needs to have it's own ballast.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #59
InlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Paul
InlandMan's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for your thorough response. It is most helpful. AS with all good answers though, I have been inspired to ask more questions.

Quote:
Do not run HID in those housings.
They were not designed for HID and will glare badly (CHP is cracking down)... those are just (poor quality) stock replacements. The first one combines the turn signal housing with the headlight housing. Those housing will fog up the first time it rains.
Thank you for the heads up on the housings and that CHP is cracking down. Where would I find high quality HID designed housings? Is it worth the effort/expense?

Quote:
The HID/Halogen combination lights are VERY old (like 2004) style. Even on the cheapass "plug and play" kits, the 9003 replacements have a solenoid that moves the burner to change to high beam. Looks like Xtralights is trying to move some old inventory with these packages.
I can't pretend to know what you're talking about here. I think you mean that the element is mechanically moved to change the beam pattern of the light for high and low. Is there anything other than old inventory for a 2002 Tacoma?

Quote:
HID are not practical as a separate lamp for high beam, which is why Extralights uses a halogen. HID requires about 5-10 seconds to settle in to full brightness. When first turned on, there is a quick "flash" as they ignite, then they slowly come up to temperature.
Also, rapid turn-on/shut-off of an HID lamp (like flashing your high beams at an oncoming driver or to indicate passing) will degrade the burners and significantly shorten their life.
I'm not a huge fan of flashing my lights at people. So if I do it's incredibly rare. If the low beams are HID, what exactly is the advantage of having HID? I'm starting to be confused as to why anyone would spend nearly 1k (and frequently more) to achieve a "brighter" low beam.

Quote:
Yes, every HID burner needs to have it's own ballast.
So, and this is guessing anything is even available that has four bulbs in the shape of housing I'd need, there would be four bulbs and four ballasts... for both high and low and I shouldn't flash my lights if I want them to last.

So, let's say you've talked me out of HID at all. What other options to I have. I'd prefer a glass lens but I can't find one. I like bright but I can't stand glare or those colors. Where would I find a high quality replacement light set that was relatively indistinguishable from stock for a reasonable price?

Thank you again.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #60
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
if not wanting to go hid, you can get these bulbs from Osram...Hella makes them too, Osram's are cheaper....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-OSRAM-BI...c6ecd2&vxp=mtr

flat out, about the best you can do with a standard lense...they do put out a much higher light output, I use them, they significantly improve the headlight beam intensity...they are marked offroad, but I have never been flashed using them on the street...

and a whole lot cheaper....

get a set, then tinker on making your own projectors later when funds dictate...I have been the route of just adding hids to standard lenses, boy, I could really see but oncoming was flashing me all the time, even aimed low....wasn't in a Toyota, but the same light pattern blindness happens if no projectors are used to focus the light beam...