Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID FAQ

Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #61
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandMan View Post
Thank you for the heads up on the housings and that CHP is cracking down. Where would I find high quality HID designed housings? Is it worth the effort/expense?
The best way to go is to retrofit projectors into the stock, or stock style housings.

Not just HID burners, which is what those kits are, but actual projectors.
They are still technically illegal, but stick with a 4300k burner, 35 watt ballast, and aim them properly and you'll be fine.
It's the blue/purple (and yellow) lights that are blinding people that are getting tickets. I haven't seen yellow or purple on the 60/10/210 in a year or two.
Quote:
I can't pretend to know what you're talking about here. I think you mean that the element is mechanically moved to change the beam pattern of the light for high and low. Is there anything other than old inventory for a 2002 Tacoma?
Correct. One one design, the bulb is pulled back so it clears a shield which exposes the arc to the full reflector and changes the focal length.
Another design simply causes the shield to flip out of the way.

Projectors have a "fence" in front of the reflector, and a solenoid drops the fence.
Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of flashing my lights at people. So if I do it's incredibly rare. If the low beams are HID, what exactly is the advantage of having HID? I'm starting to be confused as to why anyone would spend nearly 1k (and frequently more) to achieve a "brighter" low beam.
The advantage (with projectors) is a much more coherent beam. There is more light in the near field, while not losing light in the distance.

BTW: Also avoid the projectors sold on eBay. Their patterns are horrible.
With HID they are worse than stock... with halogens they are terrible.

Here's my D2S projectors in stock housings:

Projectors are around $300 from theretrofitsource.com
They have an ongoing group buy.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #62
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
if not wanting to go hid, you can get these bulbs from Osram...Hella makes them too, Osram's are cheaper....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-OSRAM-BI...c6ecd2&vxp=mtr

flat out, about the best you can do with a standard lense...they do put out a much higher light output, I use them, they significantly improve the headlight beam intensity...they are marked offroad, but I have never been flashed using them on the street...
I got about 3 months out of them before they burned out.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #63
InlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Paul
InlandMan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the links and advice.

My original interest in HID was simply because the lights that are there aren't allowing me to adjust them correctly. I have a weird driver's side light that I can't pull out far enough to get it up and out enough to line up with the tape on the wall recommendation for where it's supposed to be.

I figured if I have to buy new lights, I might as well consider an upgrade.

So if I understand things correctly, there isn't any HID replacement light setup that I can simply swap out and be legit. It also isn't going to do much for helping me relative to light output (legal limitations considered) and could end up getting me a ticket if they're noticeably brighter than they should be. Right?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #64
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for all the links and advice.

My original interest in HID was simply because the lights that are there aren't allowing me to adjust them correctly. I have a weird driver's side light that I can't pull out far enough to get it up and out enough to line up with the tape on the wall recommendation for where it's supposed to be.

I figured if I have to buy new lights, I might as well consider an upgrade.

So if I understand things correctly, there isn't any HID replacement light setup that I can simply swap out and be legit. It also isn't going to do much for helping me relative to light output (legal limitations considered) and could end up getting me a ticket if they're noticeably brighter than they should be. Right?
Legit.... As in legal, no. Not in the united states at least.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #65
InlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedInlandMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Paul
InlandMan's Tacoma Gallery
I wish there was a +like or some such thing for responses that were helpful but that don't really require a response of their own.

Thanks for the reply. I won't be doing HIDs in my truck.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #66
Rascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
Rascal737's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wish there was a +like or some such thing for responses that were helpful but that don't really require a response of their own.

Thanks for the reply. I won't be doing HIDs in my truck.
You can give the guys that helped you out a + rep!!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #67
KennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Corrections Officer
Name: Ken
KennyF's Tacoma Gallery
The brighter the bulb, the less bulb life you will get. I replaced Silverstars twice a year because of that.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
The brighter the bulb, the less bulb life you will get. I replaced Silverstars twice a year because of that.
+1

Used to love Silverstars, but I would never drive a vehicle with them unless I had a spare pair in the glove box.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #69
roguewaave is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Worked on F111's in the 70's
roguewaave's Tacoma Gallery
I sure would like to improve the lights on my 2003 xtracab 4X4. I'm not interested in doing anything other than improving night vision (nothing cosmetic). The lenses are slightly hazed from the Texas sun and the lights just aren't that good. I can polish the lenses but I'm wondering what is the best way to improve night vision.
Thanks for any ideas
Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #70
KennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKennyF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KennyF's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen sites where they polish the lenses with toothpaste, and it works pretty good. The lights, other than putting aftermarket lights behind the grill, I'm not sure what else to help you with. Sorry
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #71
roguewaave is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Worked on F111's in the 70's
roguewaave's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Kenny, I thought there had be some kind of upgrade over the stock headlights, dang! Seems like every lighting enhancement is for the newer trucks ( 2005 and up)
Old 08-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #72

KennyF's Tacoma Gallery
If you go to "tacoma forum" there are knowledgeable people there too who may be able to help.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #73
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
you can put in Hella's or Osram 100w/80w or 100w/90w, that will improve output without going to hid, the bulbs just don't last as long, but they do help with lighting of the night...

Old 08-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #74
toytech589 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
toytech589's Tacoma Gallery
high/low light bulb number

i have a 2006 tacoma trd off road 6cyl 6 speed and i am looking to get a hid kit for my truck. kit is bulb specific and i need to know what the headlight bulb number i need is and the fog light number. thanks!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #75
kenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kenny
kenny216's Tacoma Gallery
Alright so I bought the Xentec 6000K HID's and put them in the stock housings in my 2011. the bulbs came with a metal guard screwed to the bottom of them and when i put them in with the guard on them only half of my headlight housing had light in it so i took the metal pieces off. Now at night time with my lights on there are spots that are brighter than others. Now I'm guessing it's because I didn't retrofit them, but a friend of mine has the same setup in her 06 and doesnt have the same issue. Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #76
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny216 View Post
Alright so I bought the Xentec 6000K HID's and put them in the stock housings in my 2011. the bulbs came with a metal guard screwed to the bottom of them and when i put them in with the guard on them only half of my headlight housing had light in it so i took the metal pieces off. Now at night time with my lights on there are spots that are brighter than others. Now I'm guessing it's because I didn't retrofit them, but a friend of mine has the same setup in her 06 and doesnt have the same issue. Has anybody else experienced this?
the bulbs came with a metal guard screwed to the bottom of them and when i put them in with the guard on them only half of my headlight housing had light in it so i took the metal pieces off

I am assuming this was the cut-off or glare shield, you are now most likely blinding everyone coming towards you, regardless of your beam setting. Please put the original lights back in.

Now at night time with my lights on there are spots that are brighter than others.

Please see above and further this is why you don't just slap in HID's into non-HID housings, 90% of the time the beam pattern will be crap and even though I am sure you THINK they are brighter, and probably are, the actual usable light shining down the down where you want it is diminished.

I really wish all these "retro-fit kits", were ticketed appropriately. It used to be against federal law, to the tune of thousands of dollars in tickets, but I haven't looked up the laws since the original article(s) in this thread were gathered. True HID conversions, where most of not all the light is replaced should be DOT cert'd and only then allowed.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #77
kenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kenny
kenny216's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdain View Post
the bulbs came with a metal guard screwed to the bottom of them and when i put them in with the guard on them only half of my headlight housing had light in it so i took the metal pieces off

I am assuming this was the cut-off or glare shield, you are now most likely blinding everyone coming towards you, regardless of your beam setting. Please put the original lights back in.

Now at night time with my lights on there are spots that are brighter than others.

Please see above and further this is why you don't just slap in HID's into non-HID housings, 90% of the time the beam pattern will be crap and even though I am sure you THINK they are brighter, and probably are, the actual usable light shining down the down where you want it is diminished.

I really wish all these "retro-fit kits", were ticketed appropriately. It used to be against federal law, to the tune of thousands of dollars in tickets, but I haven't looked up the laws since the original article(s) in this thread were gathered. True HID conversions, where most of not all the light is replaced should be DOT cert'd and only then allowed.
no i actually don't think they're brighter. maybe in certain areas, but not where i want them to be. I don't understand why the same kit works fine in my friends 06 and is shit in mine though. I want HID's in my truck, but i don't want projectors because I think they make the trucks look bug eyed and I can't stand it. any other suggestions?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdain View Post
It is still illegal and some states are very aggressive at ticketing.

I am rarely seeing purple and yellow headlights now.
2 years ago they were all over the place.

I ended up passing a Civic with purple lights on the way to work yesterday.
Coming up behind him, I could see a bright purple patch on the road in front of him. I could barely see any light reflected off of the car in front of him.

Wrong. As I passed, the glare in my mirrors was VERY bright.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #79
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny216 View Post
1. xentec is complete crap
2. Don't run HIDs in stock housings
3. Tell your friend not to as well
Old 10-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
1. xentec is complete crap
2. Don't run HIDs in stock housings
3. Tell your friend not to as well
Damn it.

I can't +peR you more than once for this