Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Painting middle bowl inside headlight.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Painting middle bowl inside headlight.

I was at ford today, and noticed on the black headlights that the center bowl is painted black, what I mean is the part that is covering the actual bulb.

It was very cool as it makes the entire light look darker...
would this be an option for us? perhaps a sort of black chrome?

What do you guys think?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
yes! whatchya think? would there be any negative effects as far as light output?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
If you are talking about black chrome, nit much light would be lost. Painting them will greatly effect the light output unless you retrofit a projector into them.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #5

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
If you are talking about black chrome, nit much light would be lost. Painting them will greatly effect the light output unless you retrofit a projector into them.

I dont think you understand.
I mean the middle part that is covering the bulb, not the entire headlight bowl
Old 12-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, no. That shouldn't have any effect on beam pattern or output.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
not to thread jack. i wonder if you could spray some nite-shades tint on the actual reflector bowl and that bulb cover....or maybe some black chrome paint? damn i wish i did this when i did my BHLM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
For the amount of trouble you'll go through to just paint the plunger (is that the name of it?) black, you might as well do the BHLM as well.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #9

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
exactly, but with the F150, it was bhlm, and the "plunger" was black, and it gave a really nice dark look to the light in the day...

Someone try it, but I want credit to make me feel cool....
Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
ive got a shitty ebay set i was about to trash..hmm
Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
good question, I dont know if that portion does ANYTHING for light output....I assume its chrome just to blend in but IDK
yes the halogen bulbs have a coating on the end of them something xenons don't have hence the scattered light out put that little piece has reflectors on it's underside that actually face the bulb thats the optic. the part you see civering the bulb from the outside is only chrome in our housings to have it blend in better so it will not effect light out put.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick904 View Post
ive got a shitty ebay set i was about to trash..hmm
do it!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #13

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
do it do it do it!

I am very interested in seeing this!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #14

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
anyone done it yet?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #15
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not to thread jack. i wonder if you could spray some nite-shades tint on the actual reflector bowl and that bulb cover....or maybe some black chrome paint? damn i wish i did this when i did my BHLM.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
Or just get smoked lenses
Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
I was at ford today, and noticed on the black headlights that the center bowl is painted black, what I mean is the part that is covering the actual bulb.

It was very cool as it makes the entire light look darker...
would this be an option for us? perhaps a sort of black chrome?

What do you guys think?
It is just a cover over the end of the bulb so the light is reflected back onto the bowl and not straight out where it will be blinding. Painting it will not do anything negative to the light output, but I imagine that it will get pretty hot being so close to the bulb, so not any regular paint will work. It will probably have to be a high-heat engine paint or similar. And no plasti-dip.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch
YFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Machinery Technician
Name: Moe
YFZ450MOE's Tacoma Gallery
I do plan on getting another set to disssamble and do the BHLM, i think I'm gunna have to try this. Have everything black except the bowl with orange blinkers and reflectors! I need some lights now!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #19

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
It is just a cover over the end of the bulb so the light is reflected back onto the bowl and not straight out where it will be blinding. Painting it will not do anything negative to the light output, but I imagine that it will get pretty hot being so close to the bulb, so not any regular paint will work. It will probably have to be a high-heat engine paint or similar. And no plasti-dip.
Very true, a high temp paint is a must!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #20

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone done it yet?