Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Slim's HIDs in a 2012

Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Snoranger is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Patrol
Snoranger's Tacoma Gallery
Slim's HIDs in a 2012

I just put a set of Slim's HIDs in my 2012 and I must say that the colour and light pattern is great....except on the high beam. It really doesn't go out very far..has anyone else noticed this? I'm using the stock housing btw..
Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoranger View Post
I just put a set of Slim's HIDs in my 2012 and I must say that the colour and light pattern is great....except on the high beam. It really doesn't go out very far..has anyone else noticed this? I'm using the stock housing btw..
Are they bixenon hid's? If so all the high beam is is just moving the light pattern upward. It won't go any further, just illuminate higher up.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #3

Yea...bixenon. I didn't have to change my light adjustment from factory. I am afraid to aim them higher because I don't want to blind oncoming traffic...
Old 12-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

Offroad lights are definitely a no-no, and yes HIDs aren't quite legal, but because our state laws only refer to the US DOT requirements, it makes writing them more difficult. Though, that of course doesn't mean that it can't/won't be done.

As far as the adjustment goes, the beam pattern didn't go any further up than stock surprisingly..but I do notice that it illuminates the sides of the roadway more.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #5

True Dat!..the whole thing just kind of sucks to spend money on stuff and have it not work out as you hoped...
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Many people change their headlight housings to projectors, instead of the stock reflectors. It will focus your high and low beams better to where they should be. And personally I think they look a lot better. I have HID's in the stock housings as well, and I know what your talking about.

Where are you a police officer at? I see SW WA.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #8

I'm wondering if I should have gotten a set of PIAA's...
Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
i got the sylvania zxe bulbs...love them
Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #10

I had a set of Sylvania's in my patrol car..they looked great...when they lasted all 8 months! I work nights and they don't last worth a shit. I had a set of Piaa's before but they only lasted two years..dammit!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
had 5000k hid and the stock housing for a 99 taco and it made them look like a sun coming down the road..didn't want ticket...if i get the clear lenses like in the 2000s models they seem to not be as glary
Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Lose that plug and play kit and go for a retrofit. If you really want to run HID's in your headlights, that's the way it should be done. Not for nothing, you made the comment that off road lights are a no-no but have no reservations about running HID's in a stock reflector housing... Just sayin...

The PIAA bulbs are very bright. I've got the Xtreme white bulbs and they have a nice, wide beam pattern and really throw light down the road well for a halogen. I've also got a set of 520's that come on with the high beams to light up the road. Maybe aftermarket auxilary lighting would be a good set-up for you that way they're only on supplimenting your headlights when you need them.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Lose that plug and play kit and go for a retrofit. If you really want to run HID's in your headlights, that's the way it should be done. Not for nothing, you made the comment that off road lights are a no-no but have no reservations about running HID's in a stock reflector housing... Just sayin...

The PIAA bulbs are very bright. I've got the Xtreme white bulbs and they have a nice, wide beam pattern and really throw light down the road well for a halogen. I've also got a set of 520's that come on with the high beams to light up the road. Maybe aftermarket auxilary lighting would be a good set-up for you that way they're only on supplimenting your headlights when you need them.

The only thing I'd change is I'd probably go with something other than PIAA. Their marketing is a bit... suspect.

If you want very bright halogen replacements for your stock housings, get Osram Rallye 65/70W H4's, available from Candlepowerinc.com.

For auxiliary lights, unfortunately you generally get what you pay for. I've used Lightforce, and they are really bright and fantastic for long-range speed, but kind of suck for twisty back roads as they are just giant Maglites. I would look at quality Hella (not necessarily the 500's or 700's--more like the Ralley series), Cibie, maybe some IPFs.

There's a plethora of choices for auxiliary lighting, but cheap usually either won't help much, or have poor durability.

Lightforce does have outstanding durability!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc409 View Post

The only thing I'd change is I'd probably go with something other than PIAA. Their marketing is a bit... suspect.

If you want very bright halogen replacements for your stock housings, get Osram Rallye 65/70W H4's, available from Candlepowerinc.com.
Wait til you try to deal with PIAA's customer service... I like their products but it's a love/hate relationship.

I've heard nothing but great things about Osram. Once the PIAAs burn out, I might have to try them out.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #15

I ran a set of PIAA's in my 99 Blazer for over ten years w/o problem! Like I said, loved them in my patrol car too, but for the price I paid and the fact that they only lasted a couple of years, made me say the hell with it and go back to crappy stock bulbs.

I will run with the HID's for a few months and decide if I like them. The low beams are great and put a good amount of light off towards the fogline, which is nice considering I live in the f'n stick (sort of). Just would have been great if the hi's worked as well as the lows did.

Does anyone know on these bixenon kits, if its two separate elements in one bulb for the hi/low setting or what?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I ran a set of PIAA's in my 99 Blazer for over ten years w/o problem! Like I said, loved them in my patrol car too, but for the price I paid and the fact that they only lasted a couple of years, made me say the hell with it and go back to crappy stock bulbs.

I will run with the HID's for a few months and decide if I like them. The low beams are great and put a good amount of light off towards the fogline, which is nice considering I live in the f'n stick (sort of). Just would have been great if the hi's worked as well as the lows did.

Does anyone know on these bixenon kits, if its two separate elements in one bulb for the hi/low setting or what?
HID's don't use an element like halogens do, they're a vapor bulb that emits light by passing electricity through the vapor (much like a flourescent light). This is why there isn't a drastic difference between the low and high beams when you throw HID's in a reflector housing. To get the full effect, you need a projector with a solenoid that phsyically changes how the light is thrown when you hit the high beams. Not to be redundant but if you want to get the most out of your high beams and really light up the fog line, go with projectors.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
HID's don't use an element like halogens do, they're a vapor bulb that emits light by passing electricity through the vapor (much like a flourescent light). This is why there isn't a drastic difference between the low and high beams when you throw HID's in a reflector housing. To get the full effect, you need a projector with a solenoid that phsyically changes how the light is thrown when you hit the high beams. Not to be redundant but if you want to get the most out of your high beams and really light up the fog line, go with projectors.
I've heard that going to projectors requires you to mod the shit out of your truck. With all of 120 miles on mine, I'm not to keen on doing something to it that can't be easily reversed. Any ideas if this is true or not? Any recommendations on good manufacturers of projectors?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've heard that going to projectors requires you to mod the shit out of your truck. With all of 120 miles on mine, I'm not to keen on doing something to it that can't be easily reversed. Any ideas if this is true or not? Any recommendations on good manufacturers of projectors?
theretrofitsource.com
I wouldn't call it 'modding the shit out of your truck' by retrofitting projectors. You remove the headlights, open them up, put in the projectors and close them up. BHLM optional while you have them opened up. To reverse it, trade your retrofitted lights for stockers plus cash is the easiest way.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...light-mod.html

That's only if you're hellbent on running an HID kit and retaining factory housings. You even sort of admitted yourself that throwing an HID kit in a factory reflector housing isn't the best solution. There is alot of stray light when you do there and you can mitigate it by aiming the lights down, but you're better off upgrading to a good halogen bulb or retrofitting in some projectors in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #19

So I went to install the HID fogs that I got from Slim..apparently in 2012 they went from a H10 to a H11 bulb...fml. Now I got two H10 HID bulbs and no where to put them..
Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #20
Blank
TucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TucsonMike's Tacoma Gallery
You can give them to me and I will put them in my fogs