Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID foglights blew a fuse. Help.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Lexxx_2011 is on a distinguished road

Lexxx_2011's Tacoma Gallery
HID foglights blew a fuse. Help.

I installed HID's in my fogs a while ago, and now they stopped working. So I put all the halogen bulbs back in and I took it to toyota and they replaced a fuse. So everything works fine with the halogen bulbs. Now, I went to install the passenger side HID back in and it worked. Then I installed the driver foglight and turned on the light switch and Im guessing it blew the fuse again. So now both don't work again. The ballast that blew the fuse has gotten a bit of water in it before, so maybe it blew the fuse cause it is water damaged? Need help, I really want my foglights to start working again, thanks.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Harleyfx69 is on a distinguished road
Harleyfx69's Tacoma Gallery
They already work with factory components..
Old 12-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
when I have installed HID's in the past, I have always taken the light fuse and whatever amp rating it is, I have replaced it with something 5amps higher.
I was told that HID's use less wattage, but more startup amperage.

Dont take that as gospel though.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I ran across this in a different car.. Cheap chinese knock off HID kit would short when mounted with a screw into the frame.. I told the person to have it swapped.. He wrapped it all in electrical tape and zip tied it. He's been running it like that for years now without issues.. I wouldn't suggest that method but it could be why your blowing fuses.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaPrime View Post
when I have installed HID's in the past, I have always taken the light fuse and whatever amp rating it is, I have replaced it with something 5amps higher.
I was told that HID's use less wattage, but more startup amperage.

Dont take that as gospel though.
I'd be careful with this, you don't want to allow more juice than the wires can handle to go through the fuse. You're right about the HID startup though, they have a large initial draw when turned on, then run at lower wattage.