Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Where the hell does this wire go?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
cmbtjnky is on a distinguished road

Army: C Co. 3/172 Mountain Infantry
cmbtjnky's Tacoma Gallery
Where the hell does this wire go?

Hey guys, Im a newbie here with a newbie question. I have my hella black magic lights installed behind my grill. Everything is set up where it should be. My question is I want to run it with my high beams so that I can turn it on or off when I want. I just need to know how to do this in the simplest explanation possible. I just don't have a clue where this wire from the toggleswitch should go. Do I splice it in the high beam wire or place it somewhere in the fuse box. Sorry about this, I suck with electroics.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
I see no reason taping into your high beam lead would not work. I've got basically the same set up, with Hella FF converted to HID behind the grill. Switch in one position, no Hellas with high beams, position two, Hellas on with high beams. Although I used the unused headlight socket as a power source, (left empty from a HID/projector upgrade).
Old 12-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You need a relay to make this work. That way the 'trigger' wire would get tapped into the high beam circuit and the power would go from fused power from the battery, to the switch, then to the relay, then out to the lights. With this configuration the lights will only come on when the high beams are on AND the switch is on.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You need a relay to make this work. That way the 'trigger' wire would get tapped into the high beam circuit and the power would go from fused power from the battery, to the switch, then to the relay, then out to the lights. With this configuration the lights will only come on when the high beams are on AND the switch is on.

I didn't use any relay, and have the same set-up.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
cmbtjnky is on a distinguished road

Army: C Co. 3/172 Mountain Infantry
cmbtjnky's Tacoma Gallery
Ok sounds good. I know I have the relay already for that wire. Everything is good to go in and in the right place. I am just having trouble understanding what to do with that one wire and where to put it.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
I didn't use any relay, and have the same set-up.
You should have a relay... Your aux. lighting shouldn't be taking power from the headlights.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbtjnky View Post
Ok sounds good. I know I have the relay already for that wire. Everything is good to go in and in the right place. I am just having trouble understanding what to do with that one wire and where to put it.
A test light would make it easier to find which wire going to the headlights is the 'hot' high beam wire. That's the wire you'd need to tap into.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #8

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You should have a relay... Your aux. lighting shouldn't be taking power from the headlights.

I know it's confusing, but the harness for my ballast (to my projectors) only uses one socket (this "used" to plug on the halogen bulb directly). The other one, (that "would have" gone to the passenger side light) is not used, and was just there, zip-tied out of the way. I used my multi-tester and found the high beam out put, connected it with a simple blade connector, grounded the second harness (for the Hellas) and everything as been fine for a little over a year.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
I know it's confusing, but the harness for my ballast (to my projectors) only uses one socket (this "used" to plug on the halogen bulb directly). The other one, (that "would have" gone to the passenger side light) is not used, and was just there, zip-tied out of the way. I used my multi-tester and found the high beam out put, connected it with a simple blade connector, grounded the second harness (for the Hellas) and everything as been fine for a little over a year.
Oooh, I see what you're saying now. Your high beam wire isn't power anything except your off road lights because of your HID set up. In the OP's case though, he shouldn't pull power off the high beam wire because it will overload the circuit.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #10

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oooh, I see what you're saying now. Your high beam wire isn't power anything except your off road lights because of your HID set up. In the OP's case though, he shouldn't pull power off the high beam wire because it will overload the circuit.
Zackly!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbtjnky View Post
Hey guys, Im a newbie here with a newbie question. I have my hella black magic lights installed behind my grill. Everything is set up where it should be. My question is I want to run it with my high beams so that I can turn it on or off when I want. I just need to know how to do this in the simplest explanation possible. I just don't have a clue where this wire from the toggleswitch should go. Do I splice it in the high beam wire or place it somewhere in the fuse box. Sorry about this, I suck with electroics.
get a volt meter set it to 12 volts if there is a dial. unplug your head light plug turn your low beams then your high beams and see which one trips the volt meter when the high beam is on. once you found it simply peel back some of the protective loom and use a scotch lock to make the connection between the 2 and viola!

hope this helped.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #12

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
get a volt meter set it to 12 volts if there is a dial. unplug your head light plug turn your low beams then your high beams and see which one trips the volt meter when the high beam is on. once you found it simply peel back some of the protective loom and use a scotch lock to make the connection between the 2 and viola!

hope this helped.
Why not start with the high beams, if that's what he wants to tap?