1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WHAT LIGHTS DO YOU GUYS LIKE OR RECOMMEND????????????????

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by desert guy, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    desert guy

desert guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan Blagg
    o.c.
    Vehicle:
    toyota offroad truck
    FiberWerx Tacoma front fiberglass clip, currie rear 9 inch, 35 Spline axles, sick nicks fab steering, Beard Seats, King Coilovers, Bypass, & Hydraulic Bumpstops, DEAVER Springs
    There are many light company's out there and I wanted to get some feed back from some people that have lights that have worked well for them. (H.I.D.'s, L.E.D.s or Hallogen) I used PIAA's before and my current truck has HELLA's (which have worked great by the way!)
    **What Lights are on the market that are priced well and last??

2. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    whatever fits the budget

3. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    bright ones.

4. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:51 PM
    desert guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan Blagg
    o.c.
    Vehicle:
    toyota offroad truck
    FiberWerx Tacoma front fiberglass clip, currie rear 9 inch, 35 Spline axles, sick nicks fab steering, Beard Seats, King Coilovers, Bypass, & Hydraulic Bumpstops, DEAVER Springs
    Yeah whatever fits the budget, but I have friends that have spent $450 on a light and the guy who spent $150 on a light has the same brightness. A lot of hype out there with some products sometimes

5. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    desert guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan Blagg
    o.c.
    Vehicle:
    toyota offroad truck
    I heard the Kragen H.I.D.'s work good. The LightForce look pretty bad ass too!

6. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Shopping for new, quality lights? Don't see them mentioned here too much, but they are well known in off road racing...

http://www.bajadesigns.com makes great halogen, HID, and LED lights for sport and off road racing... a San Marcos company (in San Diego County). Here are the truck lights: http://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/Off_road_truck_and_buggy_products/

Personally, I have a pair of Kragen HIDs (because they were cheap, and after they broke on their first Baja trip, I knew why! But, we fixed the cracked bodies) and a pair of metal Hella 4000s (given to me for Father's Day).

7. Dec 15, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    I've got Hella 500F that I converted to HID's. They're nice. I need to move em back on my roof though because they reflect off the windshield and I can't see anything with them on.

8. Dec 15, 2011 at 10:36 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
  9. Dec 15, 2011 at 11:32 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    first looks at what situation your buying them for. meaning do you run in the desert encounter a lot of fog or snow do you value foreground lighting more than a far reaching set of light force lights?

if you looking to blast the foreground i would recommend vision-x led solstice prime pods pick your poison when it comes to beam patterns but imo the euro and flood are the best any less or more controlled of a beam does absolutely nothing really there is no optics with most if not all leds they all seem to use a diffuser of some type very few have actual optics. hence why they are awesome for up close ie 50 feet in front of the truck. their color temp is inbetween a oem xenon bulb at 4300k to 4k they take about the same amount of power to operate as you factory dtrl do and they put out a metric fuck ton of light :)

for a far reaching light light force cannot be beat imo but, your talking some serious cheddar for a set of lights. they do both xenon and halogen very well so pick what color temp and power draw is acceptable to you and your golden.

lastly hid projectors if you do them right buy quality stuff and mod them correctly they basically nullify the need for almost every other light on the truck. mine go like 6 or 7 lanes across and its like daylight below the cut off!

the more yellow light of a low kelvin xenon bulb 3k is going to be your best bet in fog and or dust as the light pieces together better than the higher temp colors.

the whiter lights do very well if the beam is controlled properly in heavy snow and rain 4300k to 5k will perform the best in most conditions.

and the in between color temps of the halogens they despite their larger power drain on your electrical system do very well in most every situation as well example light forces can be retarded bright and extremely focused or adjusted to fill more of the foreground instead of reaching out so far. this comes with a price however as they will be a power suck.

an ideal set-up imo would be a quality set of halogens ie light force. 4 or more led pods or a bar and xenon headlights in a quality projector this should take care of every single lighting need besides rock lights that you should need.

10. Dec 16, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    desert guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan Blagg
    o.c.
    Vehicle:
    toyota offroad truck
    Thanks a lot for the info. That is helping me with my research. I really appreciate it guys!!! Im new to this website and it seems like a lot of people are informed about current products and stuff on here.

11. Dec 16, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    there are a few guy's on here that really get into the lighting gear. i would consider myself one of them :) i have a couple thousand of light on my rig now the way it sits and i still need rear lights and puddle lights both will be vision-x leds :) and i fully plan on retrofitting the fog lights that are in my arb for a full on quad set-up. it should be pretty amazing at night to say the least.

12. Dec 16, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    this pretty much^ i was recommended by a local shop my IPF's, and i really like them and they have held up great

13. Dec 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    ipf makes excellent lights btw. doesn't arb manufacture them or something? i know they sure do recommend them so thats pretty much a seal of approval imo.

i have seen the square ones in person and they are bright as hell and solidly built.

14. Dec 17, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    lotsoftoys

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    yeah i think they are made by arb... i have these ones:

i like them alot, they have they weird looking reflector inside broadening the beam but still allowing concentrated light where u point it. they blow my headlights out the water

[​IMG]

15. Dec 17, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    love my ipf's

[​IMG]

16. Dec 17, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    yeah buddy! arb simply makes stuff that works and usually works very well.

when i hooked up the fogs that came with the bull bar i was amazed at their light output they are twice what the factory fogs are and have a solid thick glass lens.

17. Dec 17, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    lotsoftoys

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap

agreed

18. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    the only bad thing about the fogs, is that you can't replace just the bulb when it goes out.

19. Dec 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    what do you mean? why not lol.

20. Dec 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.

Products Discussed in

To Top