1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Shrouds for Murmoto mini bi Xenon's

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by holyfield19, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dec 19, 2011 at 3:33 AM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 [OP] GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    I just can't figure out what kind of shrouds i want to get. Here's what i want to do, All black housings and reflector bowl, but i want the shrouds white, (kind of an eye ball look). Don't want the apollo's, but i think i want to do ccfl's. Do the ccfl's come on with the parking lights or are they on with the headlight's. I think i want to mount them on the outsides of the shrouds too so you can see em better when illuminated. I think "Muy Grande" did a set likr that but the shrouds were black. Help me decide TW.

2. Dec 19, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Gattling shrouds get my vote.

The CCFL ring can be wired to come on however you want. You can wire them so they come on with the parking lights, headlights, on a separate switch, etc. It's all up to you. I don't believe they have a wiring harness, you'd have to wire them in yourself.

3. Dec 19, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    I like the Gattling guns too but i am thinking more towards round, like the bullets or iris. I don't know, but anything will be better than what i got now. Just looking for a little more feedback from some of the TW loyal.

4. Dec 19, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Now I may want the H1's instead of the D2S.......So many options. I'm getting dizzy. Input, advice, experiences....all welcome.

5. Dec 19, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    the ccfl rings do very well when mounted around the lens holder of the projector not using monofilament line to stick it to the front of them.

you achieve the same effect but it doesn't look so tacky imo.

the g37 shroud looks neat the gatling has always been a favorite and works well when you burry the ccfl ring inside of it. also the mcr i have is awesome with the ccfl rings inside.

you can also wire the rings to what ever you want i put mine to the parking lights but, you could dod them on a separate switch if you wanted as well i would have done that but i was to lazy :)

a word of advice though. the inverters are crazy finicky when it comes to water or moisture so my advice would be to invest in some dielectric grease put a blob on every connector in the whole kit and then use a little liquid electrical tape and paint the inverter and your plugs for everything it seals them up and protects them and prevents the different metals from corroding each other and protects from water which will eventually work its way into a deutshe plug.

also mount the inverters some where that is protected from shock and most importantly water.

attached are pics of my set-up and an example of water intruding into a plug from a ballast which btw will kil the ballast instantly and possibly surge things out.

DSC00083.jpg
    IMAG0540.jpg

6. Dec 19, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    dude go with the H1 its a much better projector imo.

here is a comparison between the two first my set up of mini d2s and then a link to jvx drivers and a recent retrofit completed by another member using the H1. to my eyes the d2s mini seems to hot spot right in the center which lends to an intense beam but in every other way it falls short at least to me. the width is a big one the mini H1 was to my eyes a good bit wider and they absolutely have more color.

tell me if you can see a difference :rolleyes:

http://www.jvxdriver.com/Mini H1 vs. Oem TL with Clear Lens.htm

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/184768-first-tacoma-retrofit.html#post4212109

156050_177480278945142_100000495141273_575324_494405_n.jpg

7. Dec 19, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    Damn Stunt Man Hans that is some nice work....never thought about that kind of set up for the Halos....what Shrouds are those (Orbit possibly with drilled out holes).

Well my experience with Halos is limited but I have done 2 versions, the Apollo Shroud with the CCFL ring outside and the Gatling Gun with the Shroud Ring inside. And then you see what the Stunt Man has done very unique.

You will have to do a little research (just look on the TRS website) because there are 6 sizes of CCFL rings (60mm through 120mm).

You will have to decide what you want to go with either the Morimoto or H1, I would call up Matt from TRS and ask him which Shrouds are compatible with each projector. TIP: Ask him specifically which ones have a shroud ring because if it has a shroud ring you will get a better fit. The shroud ring is meant to fit around the projector.

Once you get an idea of what you want projector wise and shroud ring wise, then you can work on what you want CCFL ring wise either inside or outside and again you can ask Matt which CCFL will work and if it goes inside or outside.

Ultimately, the choice is yours and there are so many applications out there because of the different sizes in CCFL and Shrouds.

I personally have only done 2 the Apollo with outside ring and the Gatling Gun with inside ring. I personally liked the Apollo with outside ring. But I really like the Stunt Man Hans setup, that is very unique.

I guess you can ask for people to post up their CCFL projector setups and we can vote on it.

Also, you can hook the CCFL rings to come on with the Parking lights or you can put a switch inside the cab and turn them on whenever. Personally, I have hooked them up with the Parking lights and they have worked fine in the past.

Hope this helps, if I can be of assistance just PM. :D

8. Dec 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    mcr shrouds and they have little diffusers in the holes to make the light glow out nicely.

check this link man bjorn seems to bury the ccfl rings in just a bit more which keeps them out of site when they are off for the most part but, when they are lit up you get the same effect.

btw the mcr shrouds have a massive base so they fill out the reflector bowl nicely but, they do require a little trimming to get them perfectly on there with no light leaking out around the back.

http://customlightz.com/?p=p_253&sName=9th-civic-quad

you can see what he is doing with the ccfl rings and how he sets them back just a little more it looks great in person man!

btw you have been turning out some good stuff nice looking work buddy :)

9. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Yeah i really like the mcr's as well. if i'm not mistaken there is a flat side on each one correct? does the flat have to go on the bottom? i also plan on painting the shrouds SW to match the truck, think it would look pretty good in a blacked out housing. there is a channel inside for the ccfl as well right?

Now onto my other dilema. H1 or D2S? still undecided. How bout showing me what your set-up is T.W.

10. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    Well there you have it.....get the MC-R's (they are only $50 if you add the CCFL and go with the Value Shroud - you're going to paint them anyway so save yourself some coin vs buying the premium). Sounds like a good deal to me. Also just pick up the Mini H1's seems like that's what they are buying when pick these up. I'm sure the Stunt Man Hans has a few choice words for these projectors. :D

My vote:
    1. MC-R
    2. Mini H1's

Do it and let us know how it turns out! All black with white shroud.

Just a few tips to help you out. Buy the "Depo" brand lights that are already painted black from Amazon (you will have amber reflectors - if you don't want that....then ebay lights are your route for clear reflectors). Grab some Krylon Fusion white paint for the shrouds, spray evenly in light coats and let stand for a few minutes and bake in the oven on warm or 170 degrees for about 4-5 mins to even out the paint and get a nice bond.

I have come across some excellent sealer (OEM type stuff that is better than the 3M crap and other ribbon sealer sold by TRS) from a vendor in China, can't get this stuff in the states but am willing to sale you some for the right price. Believe me this is the shit, and no more hit or miss with foggin issues. That is the biggest PITA when doing Retrofits. :D

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    I already knew that i wanted clear reflectors instead of amber, the housings are already on their way to the house. I know they may not be as good as the depot brand but its worth a shot if i can do it right i can't miss right? All Black, clear reflectors, white shrouds.....i think they will be sick. When you order the package from TRS the shrouds come with the Mini D2S kit. I'm at like a 60/40 split between the D2S and the H1 respectivly. It's driving me crazy. PM me with a price on that sealer.

12. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    this is solid advice man.

the mini H1 and what ever shroud catches your fancy just make sure they will work with the H1 projector most will.

and the housings are important man if you have to go aftermarket stick with depot brand housings tyc housings are pretty decent as well but imo the depot are the best in the aftermarket.

don't buy anything off ebay go with Amazon or from a local guy who can order them for you.

btw grande what sealant are you referring to do you have a pic of it?

13. Dec 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    check this link out the mini H1 holds it own or bests some of the best bi-xenons that are available the d2s does not hold a candle to the H1..

like i said before though the only draw backs are they do not play nice in 55 watt set-ups and they will not accept an oem bulb ie phillips or osrams. source your bulbs from trs they make a very high quality bulb all things considered you will love them.

the d2s has a different set of optics and reflector bowl that makes the difference in the 2. in the link i'm posting jvx driver show cases the H1 against some of the best the TL the fx-r and for a comparison check out all of them they are a fantastic projector and for some reason or another often overlooked in favor of the d2s which kills me.

http://jvxdriver.com/Mini H1 vs. Oem TL with Clear Lens.htm

edit: btw this was the old generation of H1 trs released a new updated version fixing the little hump on the cutoff line not that thats even really a big deal but, from what i've heard the 4.1 is supposed to be the bomb.

14. Dec 19, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Can't give away my trade secrets.......type in BYC-113. It's industrial grade silicone manufactured in China. I haven't been able to find it here but it's the exact same grey sealant that is used in the OEM Headlights. This stuff is some what in liquid form. I have been searching for this stuff for sometime now and got lucky. :D

15. Dec 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    oneBIGroom

oneBIGroom SSS

Member:
    First Name:
    SSS
    SSS
    Vehicle:
    SSS
    SSS
    I've been looking into a retrofit kit, and i like the bullet shrouds.

16. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:52 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    awesome i'm on the hunt now :)

thanks brother

17. Dec 22, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    get in on group buy 4 from trs

18. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    second that the more people sign up the bigger the savings.

19. Dec 23, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    RRnold

RRnold 2 wheel member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 white DC 4WD, 94 Supra 6spd TT
    Icon Coilovers, Icon rear shocks, Demello sliders, Total Chaos UCA, AAL, Weds Adventure Hase Spec on Cooper STT 32's.
    Very, very, very useful info!! I'm on the group buy as well and was stuck between the D2S and H1 kit.

Thanks!! :cheers:

Looks like an H1 kit for me!

20. Dec 23, 2011 at 10:26 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    nice you will love it the H1 is give or take 2 lanes wider than the d2s down the road a piece it is noticeable at least it was to me.

the color is also very nice but like i said neither of the minis do well with 55 watt ballast and they cannot run the better imo d2s design bulbs.

but, they more than make up for that you guys are going to love them.

glad i could lend a hand :)

Products Discussed in

To Top