1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wire reverse lights to switch in cabin

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by franzcars, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Dec 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    franzcars

franzcars [OP] I'm different, in a different way

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    Plasti-dipped rims, blacked out Taco logos, small interior mods, AFE prodry drop-in, DJM 3/4 drop, Viper alarm, Power locks, Fogs, Viper 305 alarm, Kenwood HU
    I drive a 5 speed but when i back up i normally just coast down where ever i am but i want to have my reverse lights on a switch so people know im moving. I know i could put it in reverse but i'd rather keep it in neutral just because it's easier. So i was thinking i would just wire one in parallel with the one in the trans and put it next to the switches in the cabin.

2. Dec 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    JEP

JEP Resident Lurker

Member:
    Madison
    Vehicle:
    15 DBL V6 4WD
    N-fabs, BakFlip VP, power tailgate lock, bed lights, "raptor" grill lights. Standard mall crawler stuff.
    I would take a SPDT switch and put it into the middle of the power wire going to the reverse lights. Cut the power wire going to the reverse lights and place the end going to the reverse light onto the middle of the SPDT switch and place the other wire end on one end of the switch. Place a constant power (or power that is on when the ignition or acc. is on) on the opposite end of the switch. Fuse your constant power of course.
    This single throw double pole (SPDT, or ON, OFF, ON) switch prevents any voltage from feeding back to your OEM reverse switch. This will allow you to have the reverse lights either ON with switch, OFF, or NORMAL operation

Just my $.02 and perform at your own risk.

[​IMG]

3. Dec 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    Plasti-dipped rims, blacked out Taco logos, small interior mods, AFE prodry drop-in, DJM 3/4 drop, Viper alarm, Power locks, Fogs, Viper 305 alarm, Kenwood HU
    thanks, sounds good, when the weather gets beter ill go take a look at it.

4. Dec 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Hmm... what about when you forget the switch? I would go for a momentary switch, or a latching relay on a timer or something.

I would look for a SPDT switch in on-(on) configuration, as "on" in parentheses is momentary.

That way you won't forget and leave them on, but you'll have to hold them on when you are reversing without reversing. I would not get a switch with an "off" position as suggested above, because then they'd possibly be off when you expect them to function normally.

Edit: You might actually check the power requirements of the rear lights. If you did this with a standard SPDT relay, it would be perfect!

Connect the SPDT relay in the existing reverse light circuit such that the NC connection leaves the factory wiring essentially intact.

Then, connect a switch (preferably momentary) to switch the relay. Use the NO connection of the relay to add in auxiliary power like above. Then, they'd come on when you hit the switch, or operate normally (and still not backfeed power into the factory circuit).

I can't remember how much power the factory reverse lights use, but relays are often preferred. It's probably only 5 amps or so in this case, though.

5. Dec 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    maybe just put in reverse have lights on anyway?

6. Dec 20, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    thx iroc, and the reason i just coast down is so i can leave it in first so i can start going faster as to not hold trafic. this gives me a project to do over winter break

Products Discussed in

To Top