1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about headlights/fogs and extra OR lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by h.zack801, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Dec 31, 2011 at 12:02 AM
    h.zack801

h.zack801 [OP] Scumbag Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    Truck Parked Mod
    Door Dings
    Here's my thought:

I've got headlights and fogs. I will be putting on some off road lights I recently purchased.

Is it wise to rewire the lights to where the headlights and fogs both come on by only twisting the steering column switch, and use the switch originally for the fogs as the switch for the new off road lights?

Or would this cause a problem when switching to high beams since the fogs turn off when you use high beams? Any other problems you would foresee in doing this?

2. Dec 31, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    ^^Good info here.

If you are just trying not to have to install an extra switch, you can wire your relay for the off road lights directly to the high beam circuit under the hood. Then the off road lights would come on with the high beams no matter what. I've always installed an extra switch, but most of the time I never touch that switch, just leave it on and let the extra lights come on with the brights.

Not sure exactly how you plan to accomplish what you're suggesting. If you use the factory wires that currently go to your fogs and attach them to the off road lights I can see two problems. Yes, they will go off with the highs unless you do the fog light anytime mod. The other issue is the off road lights may draw too much power for the factory fog harness to handle. And you don't want to add the factory fog lights directly to the factory headlight harness either, that's too much amp draw.

I would leave the factory stuff alone. Maybe do the fog light anytime mod. Start from scratch with the off road lights.

3. Dec 31, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    h.zack801

h.zack801 [OP] Scumbag Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    Truck Parked Mod
    Door Dings
    Alright, thanks guys. It seems just adding an extra switch reserved for the extra lights is my best bet.

Products Discussed in

To Top