Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Question about headlights/fogs and extra OR lights

Old 12-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Goose
h.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Zack
h.zack801's Tacoma Gallery
Question about headlights/fogs and extra OR lights

Here's my thought:

I've got headlights and fogs. I will be putting on some off road lights I recently purchased.

Is it wise to rewire the lights to where the headlights and fogs both come on by only twisting the steering column switch, and use the switch originally for the fogs as the switch for the new off road lights?

Or would this cause a problem when switching to high beams since the fogs turn off when you use high beams? Any other problems you would foresee in doing this?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
1. lookup and do the fog light anytime mod

2. for the offroad lights, run a relay and switch to ur lights............check ur local laws.

I ran mine through a T-tap into the high beam wire, with supplied relay, switch, and luckily a lightforce wire harness.

now I can run my fogs "anytime"

I can run my headlights on low with or without fogs

I can run headlights on high beam with or without fogs

flip a switch and I can run my fogs, with high beams, and my offroad lights.

or just my high beams and offroads.

plenty of options for me
^^Good info here.

If you are just trying not to have to install an extra switch, you can wire your relay for the off road lights directly to the high beam circuit under the hood. Then the off road lights would come on with the high beams no matter what. I've always installed an extra switch, but most of the time I never touch that switch, just leave it on and let the extra lights come on with the brights.

Not sure exactly how you plan to accomplish what you're suggesting. If you use the factory wires that currently go to your fogs and attach them to the off road lights I can see two problems. Yes, they will go off with the highs unless you do the fog light anytime mod. The other issue is the off road lights may draw too much power for the factory fog harness to handle. And you don't want to add the factory fog lights directly to the factory headlight harness either, that's too much amp draw.

I would leave the factory stuff alone. Maybe do the fog light anytime mod. Start from scratch with the off road lights.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Goose
h.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Zack
h.zack801's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, thanks guys. It seems just adding an extra switch reserved for the extra lights is my best bet.