Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Finally finished LEDS - cupholders, console, and bed lights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #21
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Heres all the stuff I used for this project for Cupholders and Center console.

The WAGO clamps (best thing made EVER):These are $3 EACH on Oznium website. This guy on EBAY is badass sells 5 of em for $9.50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Wago-222-4...item20aefae732

LED holders (a must buy):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390380286829...84.m1423.l2649

LED'S:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390372095349...84.m1439.l2649

The LED'S I have in my center console I bought from Fred Meyer. They were $20 but I got them on sale for $4.99. You can get them at Vatozone also - These are the ones:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=232879

^^^instead of these guys^^^ (they were only $5 so I grabbed them) you can use the LED's I used for my cupholders. Just drill 2 - 1/4" holes in each end of the inside of the center console and put 2 of the 5mm led's in.
To do the LED in the rear cupholder, I drilled a 1/4" hole on the inside of the console all the way thru to the inside of the rear cupholders. Theres a few tricks (where to run the wires) - when you flip the whole console over, you will see a space between the rear cupholders and the center console box. I ran the rear cupholder led wires down thru there instead of back thru the hole going into the center console. I will put a white LED to fill that hole later.

Hope all that doesn't sound confusing.

By the way: all of the lighting under my dash and under two front seats I did a couple years ago....that setup is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Color-Co...7942574&sr=8-3
Old 01-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #22
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Another trick:

If anyone buys the LED strips from Fred Meyer, autozone, etc.......cut the red button switch with battery off carefully AND KEEP IT!!! It makes a killer tester....

example

Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
Rookie
txtrd is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
txtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Beware of the LEDs from 1michiganer on ebay. I put some in my truck and they only lasted maybe 2 months. Thankfully I bought a 10 pack so I just replaced them Friday night. 2 month life span for LEDs is unacceptable in my book.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #24
cverneau is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cverneau's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info and links. I just purchased ten of the orange led's and ten of the led holders from him for less than $11 shipped. The orange will most closely match the stock amber dash. I've been looking all over for led's that don't protrude from the surface very far but I wasn't having much luck and didn't want to use the flat surface mount ones. I plan on putting two of these on the surface of the overhang in front of the 12v outlets (2011) downward facing the cupholders and the recessed tray. I'm also gonna put one in the roof of the cubby right above my right knee. Who knows, maybe I'll use the others in the rear cupholders....

Hey - a quick question:
I'm assuming these led's are dimmable as I plan on tying them into my dash circuit (at the AC controls) to use with the dimmer switch. Are they in fact dimmable?? It's not a deal breker if they aren't, but it would be nice....
Old 01-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #25
Oregon Edition

RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrd View Post
Beware of the LEDs from 1michiganer on ebay. I put some in my truck and they only lasted maybe 2 months. Thankfully I bought a 10 pack so I just replaced them Friday night. 2 month life span for LEDs is unacceptable in my book.
Oh shiiittt!!!! Thanks for the info. Counting down the days....lol
Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #27
Oregon Edition

RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cverneau View Post
Thanks for the info and links. I just purchased ten of the orange led's and ten of the led holders from him for less than $11 shipped. The orange will most closely match the stock amber dash. I've been looking all over for led's that don't protrude from the surface very far but I wasn't having much luck and didn't want to use the flat surface mount ones. I plan on putting two of these on the surface of the overhang in front of the 12v outlets (2011) downward facing the cupholders and the recessed tray. I'm also gonna put one in the roof of the cubby right above my right knee. Who knows, maybe I'll use the others in the rear cupholders....

Hey - a quick question:
I'm assuming these led's are dimmable as I plan on tying them into my dash circuit (at the AC controls) to use with the dimmer switch. Are they in fact dimmable?? It's not a deal breker if they aren't, but it would be nice....

This weekend I will try to mount 2 of these in that cubby in front of gear shift but i didn't want to drill....I'll mess with that later.

If you can see in the front cupholders, these things were incredible at how flush they (almost) are. I was wayy impressed.

Dimmable? Not sure but I would bet yes! If they are wired into the dash dimmer then they should dim just fine. LED's take absolutley next to no power and can do about anything.

If you get to the "cubby" led install be4 me let me know how it goes.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

Name: Sparky
sparkystaco's Tacoma Gallery
I did the same as you want to do, put LED's in the recesses of the 12v outlets [in the little half circles pointing down] the pita was dissassembiling the dash to get that piece out to drill the holes. I used the LED's from radioshack and wired them into the AC controls using the wiring diagram from the lighted 4wd switch mod. It worked out well, the light hits the bar between the cubby and the cupholders lighting the whole area, and yes they dim with the other dash lights
Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #29
cverneau is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cverneau's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not gonna disassemble the dash to drill the holes. I'll put out the AC control (I also did the lighted 4x4 switch) and use a right angle drill from below. I should be able to see clearly and be able to see straight down in that location when the AC control is removed.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #30
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

I thought the same thing but theres a support rib that sticks straight up where you would want to drill holes so the lights are back far enuff to hit the cupholders, otherwise the lights will be shining into the cubby. And theres not much room thru the AC controls hole unless you have really small hands.lol
Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #31
Oregon Edition

RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cverneau View Post
I'm not gonna disassemble the dash to drill the holes. I'll put out the AC control (I also did the lighted 4x4 switch) and use a right angle drill from below. I should be able to see clearly and be able to see straight down in that location when the AC control is removed.
I'm gonna take my time and look shit over this weekend before I do this. I don't want to drill into too much up there either.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #32
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
that sucks they charge for the LED holders. My first LED order from oznium they included them for free!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #33
Oregon Edition

RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
that sucks they charge for the LED holders. My first LED order from oznium they included them for free!
Yeah..they are cheap ass fragile plastic.....should be free!!
Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #34
Rookie
txtrd is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
txtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Here is where I installed my LEDs

Here is the link for my original post http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...dash-leds.html
I installed my LEDs on 12-18 and they were completely dead on 1-27 so only 5 weeks. I will try Oznium once I burn through all of the ebay ones.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #35
Oregon Edition

RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrd View Post
Here is where I installed my LEDs

Here is the link for my original post http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...dash-leds.html
I installed my LEDs on 12-18 and they were completely dead on 1-27 so only 5 weeks. I will try Oznium once I burn through all of the ebay ones.

See this area in your pic? This where I need light in my truck....

Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #36
bootboiler has a spectacular aura aboutbootboiler has a spectacular aura about
Navy: Suppo
bootboiler's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to see the Bed Light work up...
Old 01-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #37
Oregon Edition

RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Under my bedrails i'm going to use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Filite-Flexibl...7968226&sr=1-1

And wire it like I have my neons under my truck - with a remote control. This is the same kit I use for my under truck neons. I will wire the bedlights into this and just use the 2 remotes (one on keychain and 1 mounted inside the truck) to turn em on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350528269871...84.m1438.l2649

Heres my neon one mounted in my truck (other remote is on my keychain). Eliminates another toggle switch and it'll be nice to be able to turn my bedlights on from 50+ yards away...

Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #39

RAPR
That area you circled is exactly where my lites shine, and they don't mess with my eyes
Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #40
Oregon Edition

RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkystaco View Post
RAPR
That area you circled is exactly where my lites shine, and they don't mess with my eyes

So after looking at the cubby last night....i'm going to put a hole right where the red is in this picture.....i'm gonna hook an LED up to my battery tester and see if I put one on each side that the one facing me as I drive doesnt shine in my face. If it does - I'm going to mount it a little higher above that red circle and put a "hood shroud" thing on the led holder that will put a "umbrella" type thingy over the led and just shoot the light straight down. SHITTY DRAWING...lol....but you can prob get the idea i'm thinking bout.

Products Discussed in this Thread