Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Finally finished LEDS - cupholders, console, and bed lights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #522
"GO DUCKS" Edition
Oregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
Oregon TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawannatussle View Post
I really wanna try the interior LED's but I don't have a spot to put a rocker switch...
Make one.

Find a space of empty plastic in the truck - go to Radio Shack or wherever and get a small round plastic or metal (plastic lights up) toggle......drill a hole that the toggle switch directions recommend and it's all good.

I did that in my old Blazer. Super easy.

Like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender...=toggle+switch
Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #523
yawannatussle is on a distinguished road
yawannatussle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPR View Post
Make one.

Find a space of empty plastic in the truck - go to Radio Shack or wherever and get a small round plastic or metal (plastic lights up) toggle......drill a hole that the toggle switch directions recommend and it's all good.

I did that in my old Blazer. Super easy.

Like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender...=toggle+switch
I actually found out that near the cigarette lighter on the 02 is two pop out pieces for a switch. I'll put it there... Also if the rocker switch has a light, should I disconnect the battery when hooking up the rocker switch? Thanks man
Old 01-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #524
"GO DUCKS" Edition
Oregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I actually found out that near the cigarette lighter on the 02 is two pop out pieces for a switch. I'll put it there... Also if the rocker switch has a light, should I disconnect the battery when hooking up the rocker switch? Thanks man
I have to say YES....always unhook the battery when doing this stuff.

I've been a wiring nerd since I was a little kid so I don't sometimes but I tell people to ALWAYS unhook the battery until all is done.

Always check your work as you go. Never have bare metal, wires, exposed to where they could possibly short out.

I did my interior lights years ago and they still work perfect to this day.

Any questions - feel free to ask. There are other members in this thread that have excellent advice also.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #525
"GO DUCKS" Edition

Quote:
These are the ones I got. They fit damn near perfect in my 05 rocker blanks with a teeny bit of trimming.

http://www.oznium.com/scion-switch-led
Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #526
"GO DUCKS" Edition

Redid my bedlights:

Some December snow pics:

Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #528
"GO DUCKS" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
Had to redo mine also, did it after Christmas. 2 out of the 3 sides of the original string quit working.
After washing my truck and they got wet, then the heat of summer, then washing, then the freezing cold of winter, they finally decided to start to quit. They weren't completely burnt out but they weren't looking as good. And they came unstuck from under the rails and started drooping in areas.

For $9 and change and 5 minutes of time...they look perfect again.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #529
"GO DUCKS" Edition

When these LED ribbons start to turn to shit in a couple years...I'll go this route for the bed lights:
http://www.amazon.com/White-Slimline...+Underglow+Kit

Pretty much the same thing I have under my truck for the past 7 years and they still work flawless.

i can screw them into the bed rails and the plastic tubes the leds are inside of will protect them better.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #530
SpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
SpruceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
After washing my truck and they got wet, then the heat of summer, then washing, then the freezing cold of winter, they finally decided to start to quit. They weren't completely burnt out but they weren't looking as good. And they came unstuck from under the rails and started drooping in areas.

For $9 and change and 5 minutes of time...they look perfect again.
Yeah mine only lasted about a year & what's crazy it I have a vinyl tonneau cover so they don't get that wet but it can get pretty hot in the FL sun.
They claim their weatherproof but for as little as they cost what do you expect. Haha
Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #531
SpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
SpruceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When these LED ribbons start to turn to shit in a couple years...I'll go this route for the bed lights:
http://www.amazon.com/White-Slimline...+Underglow+Kit

Pretty much the same thing I have under my truck for the past 7 years and they still work flawless.

i can screw them into the bed rails and the plastic tubes the leds are inside of will protect them better.
I like those, I've been thinking about installing lights under the cab & hooking them up to the dome light circuit so they come on when it's unlocked or the doors are open. These would work great.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #532
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 01-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #533
"GO DUCKS" Edition

Quote:
Yeah mine only lasted about a year & what's crazy it I have a vinyl tonneau cover so they don't get that wet but it can get pretty hot in the FL sun.
They claim their weatherproof but for as little as they cost what do you expect. Haha
WOW..under that cover you'd think they would last alot longer.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #534
"GO DUCKS" Edition

Quote:
I like those, I've been thinking about installing lights under the cab & hooking them up to the dome light circuit so they come on when it's unlocked or the doors are open. These would work great.
YES. I turn my kit on from the remote at night and it lights up the ground so i can see where i'm going.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #535
"GO DUCKS" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTopp View Post
Subd

Old 03-31-2014, 03:19 AM   #536
cdelgado14 is a splendid one to beholdcdelgado14 is a splendid one to beholdcdelgado14 is a splendid one to beholdcdelgado14 is a splendid one to beholdcdelgado14 is a splendid one to beholdcdelgado14 is a splendid one to behold
cdelgado14's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed!
Old 03-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #537
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Any update on how long your eBay LEDs lasted from your original post/project?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #538
"GO DUCKS" Edition

They are still going strong. Never had an issue since the day I hooked them up.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #539
"GO DUCKS" Edition

My buddy did a Black n white Headlight Mod for me and I gave him the rest of those leds from that pack I got off EBAY and he did this:

Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #540
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Sick! Did he wire those into a separate switch? I really wanna break my retro's apart and add the demon eye mod.

Products Discussed in this Thread