Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Highbeam wire colors? help please

Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
gacandido2010 is on a distinguished road

Name: Gabriel
gacandido2010's Tacoma Gallery
Highbeam wire colors? help please

installing hella 500 hids but cant finish due to the fact that i cant find the highbeam wire, anyone know which wire it is?

thankns
Old 01-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #2

fuck i cant get it,
i called pep boys to c if they could just finish it....they said 102 an hour fuck that

ive tried every wire tho
Old 01-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
ok............

go to pepboys or kragen, autozone.

BUY A TEST LIGHT

unplug 1 connector to the headlight, then turn ur headlights ON.............insert the probed/spike end of the test light into any 1 of the slots that ur headlight prongs would plug into. Use a part of the truck (scrape a little to make it bare metal) as a ground for the other lead of the test light.

insert the probe into the slots till it lights up.........thats ur LOW BEAM

now, go and flip ur high beams on, insert probe/spike into remaining slots again till it lights up..........thats ur HIGH BEAM,

put a small piece of tape around that wire to mark it, or write the color code on something.

the remaining one with a wire going to it is ur ground to the headlight.

done

finish ur lights, have a drink, send me 5 bucks, save the rest, and drive to pepboys and return the test light.

I dig that.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
ok............

go to pepboys or kragen, autozone.

BUY A TEST LIGHT

unplug 1 connector to the headlight, then turn ur headlights ON.............insert the probed/spike end of the test light into any 1 of the slots that ur headlight prongs would plug into. Use a part of the truck (scrape a little to make it bare metal) as a ground for the other lead of the test light.

insert the probe into the slots till it lights up.........thats ur LOW BEAM

now, go and flip ur high beams on, insert probe/spike into remaining slots again till it lights up..........thats ur HIGH BEAM,

put a small piece of tape around that wire to mark it, or write the color code on something.

the remaining one with a wire going to it is ur ground to the headlight.

done

finish ur lights, have a drink, send me 5 bucks, save the rest, and drive to pepboys and return the test light.
Edit: Just read the diagram Wolfpack posted, you have a ground switched system. No big deal, just use the switched ground to one side of your relay through a switch, and use the constant power wire at the headlight for the other side of the relay's coil.

OR, you could try tapping into the LOW beam wire. (red with green stripe) When the lights are on high beam, the low beam GROUND wire will show positive power. It won't be full battery voltage, but may be high enough to use to switch your lights. I have done this in the past with no problems, but I didn't do it on purpose, just didn't understand that the system was ground switched.

I would unplug both headlights while testing wires. If it's ground switched, you can get confused really quick since whatever light (hi or lo) isn't on will show positive power on the ground side of the filament.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #5

i belive its red and yellow like wolfpack said but still not working so must b wiring problem somewhere else
Old 01-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacandido2010 View Post
i belive its red and yellow like wolfpack said but still not working so must b wiring problem somewhere else
Yes, from the wiring diagram the red and yellow is the high beam wire. BUT, it's a GROUND wire. If you are wiring the lights the way HELLA tells you to and using the high beam wire to run to your switch and then to the relay, then it's not going to work. You need a positive voltage source and a ground at the relay coil.

Try hooking to the low beam wire instead just for giggles and let us know what happens. I've been through this on an 86 Toyota, and trust me it's a weird system.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
It's also possible you have other problems. If you have a test light or a meter and can tell me what voltages you have at each numbered pin on your original HELLA relay, we can narrow this down.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
TacoME is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoME is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoME is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoME is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoME is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoME is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoME is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoME is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoME is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoME is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoME is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoME's Tacoma Gallery
Beam wire colors

Ground is white w/ black stripe
High beam is solid red
Low beam is red w/ yellow stripe

08 Taco V6

Just put 4 Hella 500s on and put my multimeter to the wires where they terminate inside the connector.

Hope this helps for anybody else!