LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Morimoto Mini's Melting...

Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Morimoto Mini's Melting...

Installed a Morimoto Mini 55w kit from the TRS group buy last May. Excellent light output, relatively easy install - went well. I was impressed.

Noticed a drastic drop in the cutoff sharpness and light output of my Driver's side projector a few weeks ago. Disassembled the light last night - only to find that the chrome plating on the projector bowl of the Morimotos was burned and peeling...resulting in poor light output.

After doing some research, apparently TRS no longer advises customers run 55w ballasts/bulbs with Morimoto Mini's. They do not have enough surface area to effectively dissipate the higher heat output.

Going to call TRS tomorrow and see what I can work out.

Oh, and the lock nut for the bulb is frozen on the back as well - making it impossible to remove the bulb.

Not whining at all - TRS has great service and support, and I am sure that we will be able to work something out. When you consider the fact that by doing a retro, you are essentially negating years of engineering and R&D by Toyota. Hiccups are to be expected.

Will keep everyone updated.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
This is a common problem running 55w in minis. TRS will probably help you out and then some.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Eternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Eternal24k's Tacoma Gallery
good to know, I wish there was a popup or notice if you select the 55 when configuring the kit
Old 01-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
This is a common problem running 55w in minis. TRS will probably help you out and then some.
Yes, contacted Nate this morning.

The issue of melting reflectors arose after I purchased my retro kit last April, therefore TRS was not aware of the issue at the time of my purchase.

Still up in the air with regards to what wattage to run...

Seems as though even with the FX-R Projectors, with more surface area to dissipate heat - there is still a risk of burning the bowls at 55W.

Switching to 35W will require new ballasts, bulbs, etc...