1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hella Problems? Help!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Forster46, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jan 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 [OP] Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    So I hooked up a pair of Hella 500's, following the diagram and using the relay they came with. Hooked up everything exactly how it says and no light?

The lights work, I tested them before. Grounds are all good. The switch is supposed to light up, but isn't... I have it hooked to a fuse tap so the light shouldnt be on when the truck is off, but I am getting no light at all. I stuck two 10A fuses into it and nothing.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Jan 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    i had that problem too. check all of your connectors. thats what my problem was

3. Jan 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    Alanwn09

Alanwn09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4 V6
    Pioneer Head Unit, 1 JL Audio 10'' Sub, Nerf Bars, Tinted Windows, Vent Shades, Bug Deflector, Flowmaster 40 Series, Cobra Cb w/ 4ft K40, 2 KC Hi Lites Behind Homertaco Satoshi Grille, Debadged and Deflapped, Low Profile Toolbox,16 inch M/T Classic II on 265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain TA KO, Scan Gauge II, Fog Lights SOLD AS OF 6-13-2014
    I had a problem like that, i had to wire the switch the opposite from the diagram

4. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I will try switching the connectors on the switch around. If that doesnt work then I guess I have to go through all the connectors ahhh

5. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Do you own a test light? Or a multimeter that will measure DC voltage? Without one of these, we are just guessing. With that said: If your switch won't light up, everything is connected properly, and the switch is grounded, it sounds to me like you may not have power coming into your switch.

I've seen a few posts where guys have messed up installing Hellas using the crappy instruction sheet they come with. Here's basic aux light wiring 101

The relay has marked terminals:
    terminal 30 goes to the positive terminal of the battery, connected through an inline fuse as close as possible to the battery. There should be power here all the time, even with the lights off.

Terminal 87 goes to the positive wire feeding your aux lights.

Terminals 85 and 86 are the relay's "coil". One of them gets grounded. The other goes to your switch and should recieve positive power when the switch is turned on.

The switch should be marked for power in, and power out. The third remaining terminal is for a ground. All the ground is for on the switch is to make the light inside the switch work.

6. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    switch doesnt light up bc you dont have power running to it. my lights had the same problem. moved the wires around on the switch and continued trial and error on that with 3 wires. (1 from relay, 1 from ground, 1 from hot). move those 3 around and one combination should work! hope you get it figured out!!!

7. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    I'm guessing this is the issue. I gave up for the night because its raining out now, and I don't have a garage. Not to mention I can't see.

I'm guesing the relay is correct, because it came with the wires imbedding into the relay, then you just plug it in, and there is only one way to do it..

8. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Yeah just trial and error with those wires man and itll work out! it took me about 2 minutes to get it all sorted out. have someone help you hold the wires if need be but itll work! if not just check the connections. BTW how many lights do you have running together??

9. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Just a pair. I bought the kit and have them mounted behind my grill (which is not yet satoshi'd) the Hella 500 Driving Lights

10. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    ok, and have them wired directly to the battery or what? just making sure you have enough running to the lights.

11. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Hold My Beer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Virginia
    check your in-line fuses to make sure they arent blown...and i also had my wires mixed up connected on the back of the switch so try and look at that also.

12. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    One of the wires from the relay is wired straight to the battery (the one with the fuse). One the back of the switch theres a ground, one going to the relay, and one I have hooked up to an add a fuse.

13. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    where did you plug your add a fuse into? I have one from the relay, Once grounded, and one hot form my fuse block to illuminate the switch. Might not be getting enough power from the add a fuse or the wires are in the wrong locations. just try it out and see what happens when you switch them around.. that should be an easy fix.

14. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Uh its in the one in the cab, Second row, second collumn. I saw someone do it in a write up for something else, so I know that one is supposed to be only hot when the ignition is on.

I'm gonna go switch around the plugs in back of the switch and see what happens, then check the inline fuse.

15. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    alright, let me know man! good luck :cheers:

16. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Will do! Thanks!

17. Jan 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    you get it figured out man??

18. Jan 31, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Got it fixed! Just had to move the wires on the switch around. The switch won't light up like its supposed to, but it turns the lights on. So I'm good with that.

On a side not, a found a carling switch in the tool room at my dads shop in a bin of "random switchs". Its a on/off/on. I would like to use it for these and just wire it to turn on one way and do nothing the other way, but not sure how I would do it. Any help with that would be great!

19. Feb 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    Awesome! I'm glad you got it fixed and it was easy man!

On the switch, I am not sure how to wire it. Sorry man.

20. Feb 1, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Okay more lights problems.
    So when rewired my switch yesterday, I bagged the addafuse idea, and ran a wire straight to the battery like it says.

Turns out, that just drains my battery 100% overnight. Guess who woke up to a dead battery this morning? Me.

Came outside, and my battery was making a fast clicking noise. Yes, before I even touched the truck. I thought I was screwed. I cut the wire that I ran and the clicking stopped, but my battery was totally dead.

I reran the wire today with an inline fuse and just have the fuse removed for now. Not sure how to fix this problem right now. May try the addafuse again.

Products Discussed in

To Top