1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Day time running tail light problem

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Psmith, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    Psmith

Psmith [OP] Member

Member:
    I am having some problems with my driver side day time running light. Only the driver side wont work with the lights on. Everything else works on the driver side besides the Day time runners. The brake light works, blinker everything. I put the passenger side assembly on the driver and everything worked. I then tested for power at the socket. With just the lights on, I got no power at the socket. When I tested the pass side, i had 11.5v at the middle points (red and green). I Back probed the driver side and still nothing. I wiggled the wires under the truck going to the light and nothing. I even pulled back the plastic cover and tape and inspected about 2 feet of wire, with nothing found. Has anyone encountered this problem or anything similar. Does anyone know where the next place to check would be? Obviously checked fuse. The only thing that gets me is the pass side is functioning perfectly.

2. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    is there voltage to the fuse? You are going to have to keep going back until you hit voltage. It might be the integration relay. WHat year and trim level?

3. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    Psmith

Psmith [OP] Member

Member:
    Its a 08 taco base reg cab 2.7 man. Whats the best way to check voltage at the fuse. I assume there has to be since the pass side works, and when i pull the fuse, the pass goes out. I can check how much voltage.

4. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem

I thought that was sketch too......
    :spy:

5. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    Psmith

Psmith [OP] Member

Member:
    Tail light. With the headlights on or off, the tail lights don't illuminate. If I have the lights off, neither work, but both brake lights work. If I turn the lights on, the driver tail light doesn't work, but the pass does, both brakes work. When I have the DTR on, the pass works, but driver doesn't.

6. Feb 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Sounds like the issue is inside the driver's side light assembly. You have checked the bulbs?

I have seen some weird things happen with bad grounds and with light bulbs that have the two filaments burned together inside the bulb.

7. Feb 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    Psmith

Psmith [OP] Member

Member:
    I changed that bulb. I put the passenger bulb in the driverside (knowing the pass side works), and still nothing. I dont have voltage getting to the socket, so didn't know if this happened to anyone else and knew any tricks or places to look.

8. Feb 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    This diagram is for 05-06, but I doubt it's changed. Might be different wiring colors, but I can't imagine the way it's wired is different.

The parking/taillights are all on the same fuse and relay. If one side works fine, start at the one non working light and work backwards until you come to the point in the harness where the two sides meet. It has to be downstream of that splice.

I only mention this because I am not sure how Tacomas are setup on the taillights housings. I'd have to go pull my lights out to see. I did have a Jeep Cherokee that had a non working tail light. On that vehicle, there are not wires going directly into the back of the light sockets. There is one common plug, then there are circuit traces on the housing and individual twist in sockets that contact the traces. What happens on those is the traces sink into the plastic housing and lose contact with the sockets. It's not obvious at all.

9. Feb 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    Psmith

Psmith [OP] Member

Member:
    Yea that is my plan tomorrow. I have that same wiring diag. I have never been good at reading them, but I had the same idea. Start at the socket and work back and keep checking for voltage and those two wires. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top