Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

wiring backup light

Old 12-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
wiring backup light

I picked up a pair of cheap chinese made driving lights for 10 bucks on sale at Harbor Freight. Want to mount one under the truck and use it as a backing-up light.

It's a 55 watt bulb...so it draws roughly 4 amps.

I'd like to just hook it up to the existing lead going to one of the truck's reverse lights. Think the truck wiring would handle another 4 amp load back there, or should I run 12V to the rear and through a relay using the truck wiring to just pull in the relay?

I know the circuit is fuse protected but I still don't wanna take chances.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
I picked up a pair of cheap chinese made driving lights for 10 bucks on sale at Harbor Freight. Want to mount one under the truck and use it as a backing-up light.

It's a 55 watt bulb...so it draws roughly 4 amps.

I'd like to just hook it up to the existing lead going to one of the truck's reverse lights. Think the truck wiring would handle another 4 amp load back there, or should I run 12V to the rear and through a relay using the truck wiring to just pull in the relay?

I know the circuit is fuse protected but I still don't wanna take chances.
This is your best bet.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Thanks. I'm gonna end up building a relay box back there. I have some neon light tubes meant to go in a computer and I'm going to tuck them up under the bed side rails. May as well run a good size 12V line back there and then relay it out to where it needs to be.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I wired mine into the existing reverse lights and have not had any problems. What is the main point/advantage to using a realy?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks. I'm gonna end up building a relay box back there. I have some neon light tubes meant to go in a computer and I'm going to tuck them up under the bed side rails. May as well run a good size 12V line back there and then relay it out to where it needs to be.
Post up some pics of the bed lights when your done! I have been wanting to do this for quite some time.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #6

Will do. Going to try for a Sunday install day. Provided everything works out in the "personal" world.

If I'm gonna relay the new backup lights I may as well put both of them under there yes?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
thanks, I guess I should go ahead and add one then
Old 12-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Will do. Going to try for a Sunday install day. Provided everything works out in the "personal" world.

If I'm gonna relay the new backup lights I may as well put both of them under there yes?
Oh hell yes!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #9

110 watts of reverse lights not including the stock ones. My neighbor across the street is gonna LOVE me!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #10

where did you find 100 watt bulbs that fit in that socket?

is the lamp type in the 2nd gens the same as 1st gens?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #11

oohhh...missed the "not the factory location" part.

that looks good! hopefully I can find a decent mounting point for mine. peeked underneath today and don't see anywhere obvious. bottom of the bumper is wide open.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #12

hmmm...these el-cheapo lights don't have mounts that can be rotated to the rear of them, they're kinda like off-road lamps with the mount in the bottom.

so if i bolted a "L" bracket to the frame, then another one to that I'd end up with a "U" bracket. then i could rotate the lens on the lamps and run them upside down.

definite possibility!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
Its For Sale. :(
08toyoamn will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Loadmaster, McChord AFB, WA.
Name: Ryan
08toyoamn's Tacoma Gallery
question... should i wire the extra lights to the reverse sensor or to an independant switch ? and im not real savy on the topic, but i have some good help at the ready...
Old 01-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #14

The ones I used are 55W, so they draw a tad more power than I wanted to pull through the backup light circuit. I used a relay tripped by the backup light circuit, fed off a 12GA fused wire I ran from the battery.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
CAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really nice

CAdiveTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I wired mine into the existing reverse lights and have not had any problems. What is the main point/advantage to using a realy?
Using a relay powered from a dedicated switch or the existing reverse light circuit and a dedicated power line to the new reverse lights will allow you to use a lower ampacity circuit to control a higher ampacity circuit...
Old 01-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #16
cam-shaft has a spectacular aura aboutcam-shaft has a spectacular aura about

cam-shaft's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up accessory power module

APM system is how I wired up my back up lights and I have power for more accessories. Fully self contained accessory system, can run all kinds of accessories winch forward lights, and more. This system can even be powered up by a complete accessory battery. This system has a complete shut down system and marine grade resetable breakers and relays.

click on slide show and show info to check out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobemot...7608067149624/

Thanks, Cam-shaft.