1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

7" Kragen HID Lights Behind The Grille How To.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ryan07, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    Ryan07

Ryan07 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    Icon Ext. Coilovers, LR UCA's, Icon AAL, Nitro 9000 Shocks, 7"Kragen HID's/Billet Grille, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bed Lights, Diff Breather Mod, D-Rings Mod, LED Interior Lighting/Plate Lights, LED 4X4 Switch, Viper Starter, AVH-P4200DVD, PAC Interface, OEM Backup Camera/Pop&lock, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps, 8000lbs Champion Winch/Winch Cradle and Quick Connect Kit, 4,500lbs Champion Winch/Front Hidden Winch Mount, OEM Painted Rims, Spidertrax 1.25, 265/70R17 BFG KO's
    Thought i would do a write up after getting some pm's, so this is how i installed my HID's. Started off by searching a lot of threads and I came up with the way I wanted to do my lights, Thanks to TW.
    DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any damage to you or your truck if you attempt this mod.

First thing I did was fab the light bar out of a 28" aluminum angle, and two L brackets with slots in the top and bottom so it would slide where I needed it. The bolt holes in the light bar for the L brackets to slide on are drilled at 24 5/16" on center. Also If you make one you will need to take the guard off the hood latch to fit the aluminum angle (just two little bolts to remove). If you don't want to remove the guard or fab you're light bar there are guys on TW who sell some nice stuff, the bars they sell are made to clear the guard and have multiple mounting holes for the lights, do a search, also check the group buy page.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took the grille off ,there are two screws and two clips to take out on the top, two little clips at the bottom of the grille that you will need to pry in with a flat-head screwdriver and then pull up. Then I marked out where the lights will be going through the grille and so I could put the billet grill back on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next you will need to relocate the horn/ temperature sensor and Transmission cooler. I took the horn/ sensor off and moved it down below where the transmission cooler is. The hole I used was allready there and I used a small flat bar for a horn bracket with 3 holes, two for the horn and one to bolt it to the trunk and used a nut and washers in back to bring it out. Then I put the sensor in a hole next to the horn bracket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i relocated the Transmission cooler, I moved it down and drilled holes for the brackets on each side, also on the left side there is a small metal point that you need drill a small hole for in the center post and for the bottom I just took the bracket off and used the hole that was there for the bottom bracket bolt. Use the rubber bushings between the cooler and metal, I took the one off the bottom bracket I took off and cut it in half and used it on the bottom bolt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I took the hood latch guard off and put the light bar on with longer bolts. I also used a little metal bracket bolted from the light bar to the center post for strength. Then took the top rocker part off the lights, to move them up more and drilled the holes where I wanted to put the lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next came the wiring, I used 14 gauge wire, a number 15 fuse and fuse holder, a 3 prong switch from walmart, wire connectors, electrical tape and some zip ties.

#1(live) wire from the battery, to the fuse connector and then to the switch.
    #2(live) wire from the second switch prong to the lights, use a 3 way splice there to connect the two lights.
    #3(ground) wire from the third switch prong to a bolt under the dash and there are two wires from the lights that you will need to ground, I used the holes and bolts to ground the lights where the horn was after I relocated it below the transmission cooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I cut the grille out, I used a dremel with zip cut and put the billet grille back on.

[​IMG]

Next I tried the lights and put the grille back on the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Night pics.

With the low beams.
    [​IMG]

Low and fog.
    [​IMG]

High beams.
    [​IMG]

HID's, fog lights and low beams.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. Feb 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    gtlightingusa

gtlightingusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good Job buddy.
    very helpful!
    can I use your pics for my new website :)

3. Feb 10, 2012 at 4:18 AM
    Ryan07

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    Icon Ext. Coilovers, LR UCA's, Icon AAL, Nitro 9000 Shocks, 7"Kragen HID's/Billet Grille, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bed Lights, Diff Breather Mod, D-Rings Mod, LED Interior Lighting/Plate Lights, LED 4X4 Switch, Viper Starter, AVH-P4200DVD, PAC Interface, OEM Backup Camera/Pop&lock, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps, 8000lbs Champion Winch/Winch Cradle and Quick Connect Kit, 4,500lbs Champion Winch/Front Hidden Winch Mount, OEM Painted Rims, Spidertrax 1.25, 265/70R17 BFG KO's
    Thanks, yeah no problem.

4. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    Zimaura

Zimaura Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nj
    San jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Double Cab. level Kit, 33 inch BFGs
    Level Kit, 16inch Moto Metals, 33 BFGs, Flowmaster, tinted taillights, silver billet grills
    Hey Ryan, great write up... its giving me a good idea on what i need to do.
    where did you pick up those aluminum angle, and the L brackets with slots on them.
    i have been to southern lumbers, home depot, auto zone O'reilly, (thats pretty much what i could think of...) and didnt find it. just the ones with drilled holes. did you buy them or you have a shop or tools to make it yourself? if you made it yourself, could you give me the dimensions, i might attempt to make a similar one for myself.
    thanks alot in advance!

5. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    Ryan07

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    Thanks, I got the aluminum angle from a metal fabrication shop in my home town. The long angle is 28"Long X 1-1/2"Wide X 1-1/2"Wide X 3/16" Thick

The two L brackets are 1-1/2"Long X 3"wide X 3"Wide X 1/4"thick
    For the slots I drilled and then cut them out with a grinder. Good luck with the mod.

6. Feb 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    ryan, do you have a how-to for your billet grill install?

It looks great!

7. Mar 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    Ryan07

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    The billet grille was the easy part, all I had to do was leave enough plastic on the each side of the truck grille (when it was cut) for the four fasteners on the billet to hock into, the fasteners that come with the billet are hardware with a metal hook that tighten to the truck grille. Hope this helps good luck.

8. Mar 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    That is a help, what grill did you get. Most of my searching turns up mesh, unless I search TW, then its mostly Homer, lol

9. Mar 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    Ryan07

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Mar 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Ryan....having the 2012 is making it a bastard to find a grill. Maybe I'll go grillcraft or some mesh deal.

11. Mar 10, 2012 at 1:10 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    How were you able to re-route the horn cable?

12. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    Ryan07

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    After taking the horn off there were small plastic clips to pop out and then I put it down through the big hole under the driver side headlight and used some holes that were already in the truck, here is a pic

photo.jpg

13. Mar 16, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    I have three of these lights. Can I follow this write up and wire all three together? I am not electrically-inclined so it seems to me that it would work, but I figure I'd ask the experts before melting nice lights or burning my taco.

14. Mar 17, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    Ryan07

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    Im not sure, I think I read somewhere that you need a second switch. Hopefully someone else will comment.

15. Jul 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    mclovin

mclovin chicka chicka, yeah!

Member:
    Biloxi
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DC Barcelona Red
    Prev, 04 Xtra Cab Prerunner, 12 SR5 4x4 AC
    hows the cooler holding up with the relocate? any issues?

16. Jul 14, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    Ryan07

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    Yeah Every thing is good, no problems.

17. Jul 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    fullstream

fullstream Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Covington, Tn (between 2 corn fields)
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd offroad
    Tinted windows, tonneau, 3" procomp lift, vent visor's, bull bar, step bars, interior & exterior led's,anytime fog light mod, 35 w hid's 6000k fog, 3 Adv 60's w/ dimmer, color matched grill w/ satoshi, tinted taillights & fog lights, BHLM with mini h1's 35w 5000k, 2 hella 700's w/55 watt HID's, BAMF lightbar
    Probably can't see it cause I'm on my phone but where did you move the cooler to, I've already moved my horns for my hella 700's but would like to move the lights further to the side but the cooler is limiting it. Thanks

18. Jul 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    Ryan07

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    I moved it down about 1-1/2", making sure the hose from the cooler doesn't rub on the lower part of the hole it goes through. Then I drilled new holes and bolted it in place.

19. Aug 23, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    mrsteve

mrsteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Sport
    Did you nee to use new hoses to lower the transmission oil cooler?

I had relocated the cooler just further back (closer to the radiator) in order to fit my lights but now that I have a supercharger the heat exchanger prevents me from doing so.

20. Oct 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Nice write up, I installed my Kragen's behind my grillcraft this weekend. I used two strong L brackets but I am not entirely sold on the concept and just might have to buy the BAMF light bar or go with something like you have here. Question for you though.

I see in the pic where your grill is upside down. I noticed you shaved out some of the plastic out of the bottom lip, did you do that so the lights would fit in there and not rub? My lights are rubbing that bottom lip. I have them pinched in there, but I think I am going to go back and shave it.

Products Discussed in

To Top