Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Off-road Lighting: Fog, Driving, and/or Long range spot?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Off-road Lighting: Fog, Driving, and/or Long range spot?

I have some questions about off-road lighting. My original plan was to get some Hella Blackmagic lights and mount them behind the mesh grill. Now I'm thinking about getting a Smittybuilt lightbar and putting four lights on it. KC HiLites get pretty good reviews and come in 3 varieties, fog, driving, and long-range. What are the general recommendations for lighting? I'm thinking fogs on the outer tabs and long-range lights in the middle. This way I could throw them all on and have good coverage close and far. Would driving beams on the outer tabs pointed out to the sides be better than fogs?

Thoughts?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
I'm happy with the KC130w driving lights 6 inch. simple to hook up with the supplied harness. You can always change the reflectors to long range if you want.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
You generally want flood on outers and driving in the middle. Long range only needed for race trucks.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies.

Since I go out in the middle of nowhere and during the daytime I tend to travel between 30-50 mph on the roads I figured the long range spots would be better than driving lights since I have those from the factory already.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...ow-2012-a.html
Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
I didnt plan on using "fogs" up that high just figured they would give better wide angle lighting for seeing the sides of the road. I only turn on my factory fogs when on long drives where the added lighting is of benefit or in inclement weather even though I know they aren't "true" fogs. I'll give some thought to using driving lights on the sides angled out a little bit and either another set of driving or the long range spots in the middle.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
i had hella black magic lights. i was not very ipressed with the output.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Even though I originally wanted blackmagics but read reviews of their poor performance so decided to go with something else.