Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

H10s stopped working?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
H10s stopped working?

I was driving to work this morning and stopped behind a F150 at a light noticed my fog lights weren't on in the reflection of the tail gate. So I toggled my lights on and off, still wouldn't come back on. When I did get to work I tried it again in parking lot but it will come on for a little bit and shut off. What could be causing this problem? The only thing I can think of is a bad relay and from what I've read DDM tuning has horrible customer service when it comes to warranty work.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Shaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to behold

Shaggy's Tacoma Gallery
also could be dirty or loose connections. I had a similar problem and disconnected and cleaned the connections with contact cleaner...has been working problem free since then.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Do they share a common relay? If so, I'd start with that. To me it sounds unlikely that both ballasts would go bad at exactly the same time.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Do they share a common relay? If so, I'd start with that. To me it sounds unlikely that both ballasts would go bad at exactly the same time.
Yes they do.. I'm just gonna check the connections and give it a shot later. If the problem persists I guess I will be calling DDMtuning.... That's what I was thinking, It couldn't be the ballasts going out at the same time.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Yes they do.. I'm just gonna check the connections and give it a shot later. If the problem persists I guess I will be calling DDMtuning.... That's what I was thinking, It couldn't be the ballasts going out at the same time.
You can get another relay from an autoparts store really cheap. If you think it's the relay, I'd just buy a new one and not waste the time dealing with DDM Tuning and their legendary customer service.

Start simple though, double check your connections and make sure nothing is loose. With electrical work, it's usually best to start with the simple stuff, then moving down the line to the other hardware items.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Nothin
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can get another relay from an autoparts store really cheap. If you think it's the relay, I'd just buy a new one and not waste the time dealing with DDM Tuning and their legendary customer service.

Start simple though, double check your connections and make sure nothing is loose. With electrical work, it's usually best to start with the simple stuff, then moving down the line to the other hardware items.
Is there a specific type of relay I should get? Or they're all the same?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Is there a specific type of relay I should get? Or they're all the same?
Automotive relays are generally the same. Some are rated for more amperage than others though. The old relay should have a rating on it somewhere, just get one with the same or higher rating and you'll be good to go. I don't know what DDM uses for relays in their kit, but chances are the auto store relay will look a lot less fancy, they're just a black plastic box with copper prongs sticking out the bottom. I think the ones I've been using are made by Bosch (I don't really pay attention to the brand to be honest).
Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Nothin
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man, I'll give it a shot and let you know what the outcome will be...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Cajun1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brooks
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
dont call DDM..they SUCK...i had a set and had the same problem...one thing to do is check to see if your ballast are on...if so...it's something with the connection between the ballast and bulb...of just that the bulb is bad...more than likely because it got real hot...or moisture got into the houseing b/c the seal wasnt good...which was my case b/c the H10 or a bitch to get in
Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Automotive relays are generally the same. Some are rated for more amperage than others though. The old relay should have a rating on it somewhere, just get one with the same or higher rating and you'll be good to go. I don't know what DDM uses for relays in their kit, but chances are the auto store relay will look a lot less fancy, they're just a black plastic box with copper prongs sticking out the bottom. I think the ones I've been using are made by Bosch (I don't really pay attention to the brand to be honest).
Crap parts are crap, and relays are no different. Panasonic, Omron, and Tyco/Bosch are good parts. Most random PNP kits are not supplied with good parts, as far as I know.

Your best bet for fixing your fog lights is to remove that PNP kit and install factory halogens. You'd be doing everyone a favor.