Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

What's the lowdown on Kragens?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
What's the lowdown on Kragens?

So, I just dropped the $$ for an Avid light bar, after a year of saying I'd never get one. I justified it by telling myself that I wouldn't need to get a color-matched grill surround because the chrome won't be as obvious with the bar and lights, lol.

So...what's the lowdown on the Kragens? There's a group buy right now and I can get a couple for like $165 total. The price is bordering on too good to be true though, and it seems like some folks love them and some think they're cheap Pacific rim crap.

Is there a light I should look at instead for a similar price? I definitely don't want to go ver $100/light. I'll honestly only use them for backroads when I'm nervous about deer. I don't really offroad, though I am planning a trip out west to hunt some BLM land.

Thoughts? Are the Kragens a good value or are you pissing money away on something that's not going to hold up after a year? Any opinions are appreciated.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dang, nobody? It's cool, I'll probably hold off for a while since the bar is probably a month out.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
My take on kragens. Great light output. I drive on dirt roads (pot holes) icy roads etc......etc. they can take a good beating. They vibrate alittle but nothing out of the ordinary. No problems what so ever so far. They have held up in -30 below temps, numerous mud baths and car washes, no leaks, no ballast problems. They take a few seconds to warm up but that is normal with any HID.
In short I don't regret buying them. I would recommend them to anyone.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
sook is on a distinguished road

sook's Tacoma Gallery
Word of warning since I ran into it - the lights will not fit between the bars of the avid but since you're talking about hiding the chrome, that prolly wont be an issue for you. Here's a pic of of the 4" and the 7" sitting on top of my avid to help you visualize.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the lowdown on Kragens?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1329709352.250095.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sook View Post
Word of warning since I ran into it - the lights will not fit between the bars of the avid but since you're talking about hiding the chrome, that prolly wont be an issue for you. Here's a pic of of the 4" and the 7" sitting on top of my avid to help you visualize.
O_o
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #9

Thanks guys. I think now that the GB is over I'm going to go with the PIAA 520 ATPs mounted between the bars. Seems like a proven light with a slim design.

Can't wait to get the bar!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
the piaas will be OK upside down?
Or are u gunna have Brandon move the tabs to the bottom bar?

default is the top hoop

just dont wanna see u get excited and have it all worked out, only to NOT have it come out as expected.

Trust me, nail biting sucks....Nobody else I knew on here had these genesis lights on an avid bar, and all we could do was HOPE they cleared everything. I got lucky, depth was my concern for these lights.
From what I've read, the PIAAs have instructions on how to flip them in the casing if you run them upside down. I know jack about lights though, so I'm just going off of research.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Also, make sure ur local laws wont give ya crap about ur license plate being obstructed (possibility).....I know if I did what ur thinking, I would be pulled over pretty fast.
Thanks for the advice. This is a great point, actually. I do have to retain the front plate. I haven't decided for sure yet - I'll probably try between the bars but I have a feeling I might want them up higher for farther throw anyway.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
sook is on a distinguished road

sook's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post
O_o
Ha, I didn't actually do that - I just was doing a size comparison

O_o about sums it up tho