Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Raptor Light Mod

Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Henry
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Raptor Light Mod

I was looking through the forums and saw someone with a grille design that integrated the raptor light idea. So i ran with it and here is what I came up with.

So I had a peice of aluminum angle, 2"x1.25"x.032" about 14" long. I held it up behind the grille and marked out the honeycomb locations. Drilled out the 3/4" holes for the lights and mounted the lights in the angle. I wired all the lights together before putting it in the grille. I pulled the wire extension over to the driver side corner marker. and used splice taps to connect everything. I used 2 - 5/16" self drilling screws from the bottom and screwed into the two top grille braces. I opted for the marker lights to be the switch so they were not on all the time.

Total time was about 2 hours and about $25.

* * * * NOTE: The LEDs were wired with the black is hot and white for ground. Just test them before you wire them all together. * * * *

Lemme know if your have any questions

Link for the lights:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280811348908...84.m1439.l2649
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
pretty cool!!

Personally, i would spread them out more, but cool nonetheless
Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
98regstick is a jewel in the rough98regstick is a jewel in the rough98regstick is a jewel in the rough

Name: Chris
98regstick's Tacoma Gallery
That looks pretty sweet
Old 02-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
DC TRD MallRunner
Taco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
Taco Man in HD's Tacoma Gallery
just bought the LED's too see how it will look on a first gen...
Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I can in the morning. Umm. I pulled the corner marker light out of the socket and pulled enough out of the loom so I could work with it. I think the white/blk wire was the ground. I think it went to the turn signal also. I didn't have a meter handy at the time. So you can try that and I will post a pic when the sun is up again.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
toytaco11 is on a distinguished road

toytaco11's Tacoma Gallery
Nice mod, I like it and want it!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #9

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIVERMAN View Post
can you post a pic or list the wire colors for the wires you tapped into?
Raptor Light Mod-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330528595.277495.jpg

The white/blk is ground on the truck
Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
DIVERMAN is on a distinguished road

Name: Cullen
DIVERMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8bao View Post
Attachment 140017

The white/blk is ground on the truck

awesome! thanks! i finished daisy chaining all of the wires together and added a length of wire to run to corner marker today. gonna install tomorrow. since mine is a 12, it took a little bit of fab'ing to get the light in the center to work (had to cut out a small part of the grill- it is different) but i think it will work fine. i hope anyway! lol.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #11

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
awesome! thanks! i finished daisy chaining all of the wires together and added a length of wire to run to corner marker today. gonna install tomorrow. since mine is a 12, it took a little bit of fab'ing to get the light in the center to work (had to cut out a small part of the grill- it is different) but i think it will work fine. i hope anyway! lol.
Awesome. Can't wait for the pics.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
is there a reason to this or just for looks?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
what leds are being used here?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #16

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
what leds are being used here?
You gotta find 3/4" clearance lights. They are all waterproof. Found them on eBay. I should have a link earlier in the thread
Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #17

EMS:
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
all done!
Looks sweet. I like them spread out. Nice lookin
Old 03-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
all done!
Any night shots? Great work as well. Thinking about doing this to my Satoshi
Old 03-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8bao View Post
You gotta find 3/4" clearance lights. They are all waterproof. Found them on eBay. I should have a link earlier in the thread
thanks found the link i was thinking of a much cheaper alternative although im not sure how it would look.

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

heres what i was looking at. the 1.2 inch leds. I have bought leds from here many times with no issues and I have even bought the 1.2 inch led strips just get them in orange. the 1.2 inch strips have 3 leds in it
Old 03-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #20
Resident Lurker
JEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JEP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Any night shots? Great work as well.
This^ and shots from far enough away to see the whole truck and the light?

Please