Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

lights mounted on cap?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
rancher 420 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
rancher 420's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb lights mounted on cap?

has anyone thought about mounting any lights on top of a cap like a LEER 100R?
i was thinking about doing that. but not sure what lights to use... i think i want like 2 facing forward, and one facing to the rear. any ideas of a light set up like that?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
I actually just bought a light bar for the front of my '03 and 4 Kragen 7" HID's from the group buy...and was actually thinking about the same thing. Mounting them on the cap.

As I read your post I was thinking further thru it...I have an ARE cap with rails on it for roof racks and thinking perhaps could fab up a light bar that would slide into those rails and be non permanent??

I'd never get my truck in the garage with that thing on though...3" lift and running 33's.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerP View Post
I actually just bought a light bar for the front of my '03 and 4 Kragen 7" HID's from the group buy...and was actually thinking about the same thing. Mounting them on the cap.

As I read your post I was thinking further thru it...I have an ARE cap with rails on it for roof racks and thinking perhaps could fab up a light bar that would slide into those rails and be non permanent??

I'd never get my truck in the garage with that thing on though...3" lift and running 33's.
i still kick myself in the ass for not getting rails on my cap.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
here is what i ended up buying... if i dont like the looks of it, i will mount it on my atv or something.lights mounted on cap?-light-bar.jpg
Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
FFMedic is on a distinguished road

Name: Drew
FFMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher 420 View Post
here is what i ended up buying... if i dont like the looks of it, i will mount it on my atv or something.Attachment 139726
Where did you get these from? I'd also like to know how you like them?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i still kick myself in the ass for not getting rails on my cap.
Why not just buy them and add them? Not like rocket science to measure and drill holes. And, just the rails themselves can't be terribly expensive?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFMedic View Post
Where did you get these from? I'd also like to know how you like them?
bought them off ebay... they are not here yet, but after i receive them, and hook them up, i will post if they are good or not
Old 03-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why not just buy them and add them? Not like rocket science to measure and drill holes. And, just the rails themselves can't be terribly expensive?
Some of the caps that come with provisions for a roof rack are built more sturdy to support the additional weight on the roof. You can't do that kind of upgrade aftermarket.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Quote:
agreed, it wouldnt be too hard at all, but i cant justify buying rails just for lights, and i doubt i will ever have the use for putting stuff up there
Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Some of the caps that come with provisions for a roof rack are built more sturdy to support the additional weight on the roof. You can't do that kind of upgrade aftermarket.
I don't believe mine was built with anything extra...my roof rails and racks are like the Yakima/Thule type, for bikes, kayaks, cargo box, etc.

I have put ladders up there quite frequently with no stresses at all. Sure a light bar wouldn't add anything.

The rails might even be found off a cap at a breaker yard??
Old 03-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't believe mine was built with anything extra...my roof rails and racks are like the Yakima/Thule type, for bikes, kayaks, cargo box, etc.

I have put ladders up there quite frequently with no stresses at all. Sure a light bar wouldn't add anything.

The rails might even be found off a cap at a breaker yard??
I know, just saying, even if you add the rails you should be mindful of the amount of weight you throw up there. Just a friendly suggestion.

You're right though, a light bar won't amount to anything being mounted on the roof.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
Lightbulb

well i finally mounted the lights, and hooked them up so i could use them with a remote too. that way i could turn them on while out camping, or loading quads at night without having to turn them off/ on from the cab.
Attached Thumbnails
lights mounted on cap?-2012-04-01_11-58-05_371.jpg  
Old 04-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well i finally mounted the lights, and hooked them up so i could use them with a remote too. that way i could turn them on while out camping, or loading quads at night without having to turn them off/ on from the cab.
The Shocker, nice!

Nice job on the lights too