Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) step by step with pics!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #21
07tacos is on a distinguished road

Name: Raul
07tacos's Tacoma Gallery
I like the bixenon sticker inside lol clever.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
stattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant future

Name: Statton
stattonmw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Sorry - boneheaded stupid question: The projector retrofit kits still provide both a low beam and a high beam operation, right?

I guess the only reason I ask is because I've read somewhere that HID ballasts can't cope with rapid on/off switching, as is the case when you're driving down a country road with traffic and turning the high beams on and off and on and off and ....
Yes, they are hi/low prejectors... for the high beams the sheild is lifted up allowing more light to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbyte View Post
2 questions for you...
1. i thought you didnt have to glue the shroud to the projector...
2. would it be worth doing this to my stock headlights with them being a few years old, or buying some aftermarket ones?

good write-up tho, im about to do mine, and am looking for as much info as i can before getting started.
I dont think you have to glue them per say, although they seem like they could pop off on a rough road and I didnt ever want to have to reopen those again lol.

I would say if your oem headlights are in good condition then do it on them... the only reason I bought a second set was so I could really take my time, its my only car so if something went wrong I would have been down a creek without a paddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post
I know a guy who had the apollo shroud fall of while on a wheeling trip
Ya, better safe than sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post
anyone have a link to the part #s used in this retrofit? I PMed the OP but haven't heard back yet...
Go to: theretrofitsource.com I bought the stage III H1 kit. Also check the group buy section of this forum I believe there is another one started but TRS is not giving the discount on the H1 this time for some reason. I am assuming the last group buy cleared them out

Quote:
ive just noticed that they have started to oxidize a bit, any way to restore them?

where do you glue or attatch them?
I have heard of the restore kit working here and there but no 100% success. I would imagine you could wet sand them put a coat of automotive clear coat from a can and then polish and be good... It really depends on how much work you want to do.

Depending on the shroud... they either screw into the back of the projector or there is a ring that is placed around the outer part of the projector(centric ring) which the shroud goes onto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
I am assuming that you are talking about your headlight lenses oxidizing or "fogging". There are different methods you can use. There are kits you can buy or you can try toothpaste or a rubbing compound. I prefer different grits of sandpaper and wet sand and the polish with a da orbital.

The Apollo shrouds snap on the Morimoto Minis but I put some silicone on the inside before I snapped them on.
That could work! I wonder how long they would hold up unless you protect the bare plastic at the point though.

Thats what I did with my gatlings!

Quote:
There is it seems a neverending TRS group buy going on that will get you everything you need minus paint and prep.
Another one just started but on the D2S kit and FX-R only NO H1

Quote:
Dont the oem headlights come coated with something that helps them not oxidize or corrode as fast? how often will i have to treat them?
My ebay ones look just as good as the oem as far as the clear lense, but only time will tell!

Quote:
I am sure there is some sort of UV protection. Obviously that protection fails after years of use. I wax the headlights when I wax my cars.
I wax every other washing, and if not I always do a quick spray wax! takes all of 10mins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tacos View Post
you dont really have to remove the reflector bowl even if you are painting...
I guess not... Its not that hard to remove it at the same time, it prolly takes less time removing the reflector bowl than it does tapping it all off besides you still might get overspray, dust, who knows what else just my opinion though.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
chadcj7 is on a distinguished road
Name: CHAD
chadcj7's Tacoma Gallery
do you have pics of where you mounted the ballasts and everything under the hood? I am getting ready to do this install either this weekend or next.

Also great idea about cutting the shroud to make it look different. Think i may do that as well
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
stattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post
do you have pics of where you mounted the ballasts and everything under the hood? I am getting ready to do this install either this weekend or next.

Also great idea about cutting the shroud to make it look different. Think i may do that as well
I dont... sorry I double stickied the relay to the battery tho if that helps, and mounted that ballast on the inner fender next to the battery and same for the passanger side.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #25
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
iJelly
Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
S!LVERT4COM4 is on a distinguished road
S!LVERT4COM4's Tacoma Gallery
shroud question

Great job OP. The lights look awesome and the write-up is top notch. A question about the shroud, I like how you trimmed down the inside plastic so that the lense sits further out. But did that put the back of the shroud right up against the reflector bowl? Did you glue the shroud to the reflector bowl, or just the projector? Any trimming of the back of the shroud? I would think that affixing it to the bowl would provide a little stability to the entire system.

Is anyone affixing the shroud to the reflector bowl, or just the projector housing? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #27
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by S!LVERT4COM4 View Post
Great job OP. The lights look awesome and the write-up is top notch. A question about the shroud, I like how you trimmed down the inside plastic so that the lense sits further out. But did that put the back of the shroud right up against the reflector bowl? Did you glue the shroud to the reflector bowl, or just the projector? Any trimming of the back of the shroud? I would think that affixing it to the bowl would provide a little stability to the entire system.

Is anyone affixing the shroud to the reflector bowl, or just the projector housing? Thanks.
I just cut mine awhile ago, it doesn't touch the bowl. I see what your'e saying with stability, but you also want to keep in mind there is still a little rotational adjustment that you probably don't want to lock in, plus if you ever need to pull the assembly apart you can swap projector housings if you just do it to the projector
Old 03-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #28
Frostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Frostbyte's Tacoma Gallery
I just got mine finished up. thanks for your write up, it helped a lot.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #29
Ridendirtywhips will become famous soon enoughRidendirtywhips will become famous soon enough
Ridendirtywhips's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by S!LVERT4COM4 View Post

I just placed the centric ring on then drew a line with a sharpie, then cut below the line. I did this twice and there was about a 1mm gap between the shroud and the reflector bowl. As for gluing the shroud and centric ring to the projector... I used a silicon based glue.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #31

Quote:
I just got mine finished up. thanks for your write up, it helped a lot.
Nice! looks really good!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #32
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-h...ip-169353.html

can this be used to reseal the headlights? please say yes, I've already used it on one headlight.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #33
Woods & Water Edition
REDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sick bro! Nice work
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortland View Post
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-h...ip-169353.html

can this be used to reseal the headlights? please say yes, I've already used it on one headlight.
I cant honestly say one way or another... Just for safety messures I would put a bead of sealant around the outer edge of the headlight. I guess you will find out once you put them on and test them. Sorry I couldnt be more help.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #35
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Nice setup!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #37
Taco89 has a spectacular aura aboutTaco89 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nik
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Just looked this kit up and thinking about purchasing one.....which wire harness did you purchase??
Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #38
EATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mark
EATABULLETcom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco89 View Post
Just looked this kit up and thinking about purchasing one.....which wire harness did you purchase??
h4 is the harness you need, but if you have any questions ask andrew at trs. just call them. very helpfull and they will make sure you have everything you need. andrew@theretrofitsource.com

and this is a great write up i used it along with others. just remember dont reseal them until you are sure your cutoff is horizontal, patience is key.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #39

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
awesome thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EATABULLETcom View Post
h4 is the harness you need, but if you have any questions ask andrew at trs. just call them. very helpfull and they will make sure you have everything you need. andrew@theretrofitsource.com

and this is a great write up i used it along with others. just remember dont reseal them until you are sure your cutoff is horizontal, patience is key.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #40

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen some kits with a halo light...anyone know how they do that???