1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID High and Low Beams seem to be flipped. HELP!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Tdawg001, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    Tdawg001

Tdawg001 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 3.4L V6
    HID Kit 5000K
    So I just installed my new HID kit and it seems that when I switch on my high beams they look like they are on low beams and vise versa. I think this has to do something with the male three prong connector that plugs into the female headlight plug for the truck. Anyone knows how to fix this??? Thanks in advance

2. Mar 7, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    csjumper2003

csjumper2003 Jumper's Leds Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SSM Trd Off Road 4x4 Auto
    Pop the high beam lead on the 3way plug and swap it with the low lead. If you don't.know which one is which then use a test light and you will be able to see which one is which. Some kits are wired different for other vehicles.

3. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    The problem is, HID bulbs were not ever meant to be put into halogen reflectors that use two filament halogen bulbs, ie: hi/lo. All your doing is blinding oncoming traffic. I'll go so far as to guess, (if you'll admit it) your factory bulbs threw WAY more usable light down range. Drop some retro projectors in there, or lose the new bulbs, please.

4. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Does this really have Nothing to do with the guys question about his wiring. How does saying hids blind people help that?

5. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Blinding or not it still has nothing to do with his problem. I install hids in 2nd gens all day long. If they are backwards its because of a cheap kit not being wired right for his truck. Not because they aren't made for reflector lenses. That's all I gotta say. You don't bash something someone just got just because you don't like it. You try to help fellow members.

Good luck op. If you have anymore questions pm me.

6. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    t4daddy

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    No, again, his "problem" is the fact he put HIDs in a system that was not designed for them. He DON'T have a problem with wiring. I've been in the same place, and I pulled them the next day. HIDs are NOT meant to go into a hi/lo, single bulb reflector system, period. And IF you install HIDs in Gen twos "all day" you don't what the fuck your talking about, and it's against the law.

7. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    I must not. Hahahahahaha. That why I put hi/los in trucks and people want them because of the brighter output. Anything not dot approved is illegal. Don't start cussing because you don't know what your talking about. I have had to troubleshoot.that problem with people buying ddm kits especially. So Yes the wiring is sometimes backwards on those kits :eek::eek:s.

8. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    t4daddy

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    OP, I'm not trying to be a ass here, but the fact remains, "if a light system has a reflector, it was NOT meant to have HIDs bulbs" look closely at the next BMW, Lexus, Mec or what ever, and tell me if they even HAVE a reflector.

9. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    t4daddy

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    It's pretty clear you don't know what your talking about. Yeah, the lights are brighter, but have way less throw than a halogen bulb, (that was designed for that fixture). And being in CA, I can't believe the police hasn't been involoved, be cause there AGAINST THE LAW!

10. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    OP.^^^^This is most likely your issue.

The fact remains that the stock head light housing was not designed to used in conjunction with an H.I.D. set up, but it can be done. By doing so, you will get a lot of glare and scatter from the light because the H.I.D. bulb is larger and longer than the stock bulb thus throwing off the light reflection geometry within the reflector housing.

Not everyone has the $$$ to buy an H.I.D. project set up, or the skill to make one on their own, hence going the H.I.D. plug and play kit.

Also headlight laws are per state so what might be illegal in your state, may be legal in another.

In CA its definitely illegal, but the CHP or the police don't really have the time to be writing out fix-it tickets to every one running an aftermarket head light so that is why a lot of people get away with it.

11. Mar 7, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    t4daddy

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Most of this is correct, but with some misconceptions. I've put "conversion" hi-lo" bulbs in my truck, they produced the very SAME problems the OP stated. The laws are NOT state to state, "any vehicle that didn't come factory with HID projectors/bulbs, it's illegal, period.

12. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    kx250rider

kx250rider Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    '96 4x4 Hilux 2.8 Diesel, '12 Prerunner V6, '06 Long Travel Prerunner
    Converted legally in CA to a Toyota "3L" 2.8 Diesel from Germany
    Excuse the bump, but I have just spent 2 weeks on this issue, and I conclude that the problem is exactly as t4daddy said, and there is no cure except to install aftermarket projector headlight housings, or go back to conventional bulbs. Because of the way the OEM halogen headlight housings are designed on the '12-'13, the mechanical tilt mechanism on the HID conversion bulb is not changing the aim of the bulb. Please don't take this as my restarting an argument, but I found the thread while searching for other solutions (and there are none I have found as of today, and there are no aftermarket projector housings available yet, other than the "identical to OEM" replacements.

I may try ordering a pair of cheap aftermarket "oem style" headlights, and try experimenting cutting out the reflectors and using a universal projector beam insert. I would still need to add a separate circuit for high beam, however, so it's not going to be a simple job (if I even get around to trying).

With that said, I have an HID kit on my '05, and it's fine because the high and low beams in the aftermarket "eagle eyes" projector headlights are designed for separate bulbs. I'd get that same kit in a heartbeat if they made it yet…

Charles

Products Discussed in

To Top