Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Courtesy Light Stuck On

Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
dumontrider is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
dumontrider's Tacoma Gallery
Question Courtesy Light Stuck On

Hey all, new member here. I recently picked up an 07 Taco PreRunner and was wiring up some LED's in the footwell and under the cab. I tapped into the courtesy power/ground wires coming out of the fuse block but about 2 days later my dome light and added LED's stuck on and wouldn't turn off. After much troubleshooting I decided to get a new fuse block from the junk yard ($220!) and try getting my power source straight from the battery. This time it was instant, my dome light won't turn off. Is it possible to overload the courtesy ground circuit and "weld" it closed? The footwell lights are 3 led's each, probably only a few milliamps. The led's under the truck are a total of 1amp. Yes I checked the polarity of everything, no fuses blown, nothing is shorted (at least outside the fuse block). The problem is the circuit is stuck closed now Any insight is appreciated... I'm about to spring for yet another fuse block and scrap the LED idea entirely, as these BCM's are expensive and fussy!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Update: Made a diagram of how my wiring is run, edited slightly from one that "caribe makaira" posted. The only difference I see is that I tapped the ground closer to the fuse box instead of pulling the dome light out of the headliner, but the circuit shouldn't care "where" it's tapped?
Attached Thumbnails
Courtesy Light Stuck On-circuit.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumontrider View Post
Update: Made a diagram of how my wiring is run, edited slightly from one that "caribe makaira" posted. The only difference I see is that I tapped the ground closer to the fuse box instead of pulling the dome light out of the headliner, but the circuit shouldn't care "where" it's tapped?
I tried to tap into that wire to trigger a relay. My relay is probably the same amp draw as a couple of LEDS? Anyway, it didn't work. The relay would buzz as the dome lights came up to full brightness. I gave up the idea and had no damage to the truck. But that's one small gauge wire and I am sure that circuit isn't designed for much amp draw. It appears to be pulse width modulation, I doubt it's a relay due to the dimming.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Strange update: I had previously unplugged all the LED's and the dome light was still stuck on, so today I gave up and took out all the LED's completely to sell to some friends... lo and behold the dome light works just fine. So now I have a $220 fuse block that I purchased and can't return... I thought I fried them both but now they're both working again!?