1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SoCalTacos is a man of his word!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bobber Bill, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    Bobber Bill

Bobber Bill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    As some of you may remember, SoCalTacos was recently working on getting TW members some nice LED bars for cheap. He held a contest where the person to come up with a new name for the lights would be awarded a set of LED spotlights. One of my submissions ended being chosen.

Unfortunately, Rigid Industries claimed that the lights were direct copies so SoCalTacos withdrew from his dealings with the company, never recouped his initial investments and the deal for TW members ended there.

But he stayed true to his word and still gave me a set of the LED spotlights for submitting the winning name. Thanks man! All I was asked to do in return for this, was submit a quick review of the lights. So I am more than happy to keep my end of the bargain.

I already had a set of Rigid Industries Dually's when he gave me his lights. Having had both the Rigids and the alleged copies I can say that they are indeed very similar. At quick glance, you would think that they are identical but there are some subtle differences in the casing, reflector etc... I was not impressed with the Rigids in the flood pattern, I could barely notice any difference with them on vs. just with my lows and fogs. The alleged copies were spot patterns, so I naturally expected better lighting - and they delivered. Much bigger difference in nighttime lighting with the Chinese 'knock-offs'. Durability-wise both sets have held up just fine to some light wheeling and mudding.

Rigid Duallys only:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With both Rigids and the Chinese lights (& custom light rack with Kragen HIDs):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I unfortunately don't have any comparison shots of the output between the various lights. I haven't been able to get any good shots yet. The light rack is also still being worked on and added to so the HID's haven't been aimed anyway.

2. Mar 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    So ya. That lightbar is freaking AWESOME!!!

3. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Socalrunner

Socalrunner Toyota Its Like A Jeep Thing Only Better

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Glendora
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 DCSB
    Icon Coilovers
    Looks good man. who made the light rack for you?

4. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Bobber Bill

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    Thanks guys. I bought the cage portion for $60 at the Off Road Swap and fabbed the roof rack/mounts myself.

I already prepped the roof for another set of "feet" towards the rear of the cab. I'll be extending the rack all the way back and leaving the option for a linear actuator.

5. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    Hey Will...they look great! Thanks for the positive words bud. See you out on the trails soon, i hope. Might be going to pismo at the end of the month. Got my kings n camburgs...now its testing time.
    Thanks again, and if anyone is interested in these light bars I can still get em...modified a bit as not to break patent laws. Thanks again!

6. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    Bobber Bill

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    You have no idea how jealous I am of your coilovers and UCA's. I was really hoping to have a set of FOX's and Camburgs for myself by now but it hasn't happened yet.

I almost buckled and threw down on a set of AP UCA's for 20% off but decided against it in the end. How's the new front end feel? Pretty nice I bet.

7. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    Yeah its pretty nice...don't feel any dips, bumps. Left the sway bar on for now cuz I'm doing more street driving, but might take it off for pismo or gorman next time i go out. now I just gotta swap out the rear 5100 with some kings and some new leafs and i think ill be done...suspension that is. Trying to design a custom Baja bumper for it..maybe hybrid. Any luck with that roof attachment for the light bars?

8. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    Dude the roof top light bar is sweet!!! We need to get another Gorman run together... I missed the last couple ones

9. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    Bobber Bill

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    Only double cabs have roof rack mounts so I drilled for rivet nuts. I have 6 of them up there to disperse the load all around. Only 4 of them are being used right now, but once the rest of the bungs come in I'll be tying them all together.

Do you have an LED bar that you want to mount up top?

I'm down for Gorman anytime

10. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    Got a 20" and a 10". Might need to get a 40" for the roof. I'll do it too...let me know if you can muster something up.

11. Mar 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    Looks Sweet!

Products Discussed in

To Top