Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

wiring a fog light switch

Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
naterj will become famous soon enough

Name: nathan
naterj's Tacoma Gallery
wiring a fog light switch

1. To wire an aftermarket fog light switch to your stock wiring do you have to cut off the connector with the four wires that go to the stock switch.
I was wondering because i called the dealer today and the stock switch is 54 bucks and the fog light relay is 74 bucks, cant I just use any old relay?

2. To wire aftermarket fogs do you have to cut the stock connector thet would connect to the factory fog lights?
Old 12-13-2008, 02:16 AM   #2
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Did you install a plug & play kit using the factory harness for the lights and now just trying to get the new switch installed/working?

I don't have an answer, but I am wondering the same thing. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:47 AM   #3

naterj's Tacoma Gallery
no i was trying to do it cheaper than 380 dollers
Old 12-13-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterj View Post
no i was trying to do it cheaper than 380 dollers
Did you already get the lights or anything? Your truck has the factory wiring correct?
We were talking about fogs in a base model w/factory harness in another thread, forgot to ask about the switch at the time.

But here is what one guys found
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevigee View Post
We got factory OEM fogs - plug & play 20 minute easy install for $160. He does not have any listed now, but keep an eye on his ebay page...they were a great deal

http://myworld.ebay.com/sikshan
I haven't done it or looking into it much yet cause I don't want to put the $$ out yet since I don't need fogs.

Here is the tread it's from http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...bumpers-2.html
Old 12-13-2008, 04:09 AM   #5

naterj's Tacoma Gallery
yes my truck has the factory wires already, the lights that i have are aftermarket they dont just plug in to the leads at the front of the truck.

The dealer told me to day that the lights are $138.00 each
Old 12-13-2008, 04:11 AM   #6

I'd say skip the dealer and find them somewhere else.

I'm sure someone will be along with an answer to your questions .
Old 12-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #7

naterj's Tacoma Gallery
ya the dealer is way to high. I was just wondering if my lights could be wired straight to my harness, cause i realy didnt want to cut the end connecters off and they not work.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:26 AM   #8

naterj's Tacoma Gallery
well im out of here I just got off a 14 hour shift and im going to bed.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
Crazy Person.....
br217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nice
br217398's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to br217398
well, i didnt have a wireharness, in my base model, but mine was quite east to hardwire to the blue wire that connects to the fuse box (no idea what its for, but i noticed its HOT all of the time)
Old 12-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #10

naterj's Tacoma Gallery
See i could just say forget it and run a whole new set of wires to the front of the truck and then just wire it in the fuse box but i dont want two sets of wires running to the exact same place. I would like to try to keep it nice and clean under there.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy
Teufel Hunden will become famous soon enoughTeufel Hunden will become famous soon enough

Marines: Sergeant, USMC, last unit: 3rd Batt./4th Mar., 7th Mar. Reg., 1st Mar. Div., Twentynine Palms, CA
Teufel Hunden's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterj View Post
1. To wire an aftermarket fog light switch to your stock wiring do you have to cut off the connector with the four wires that go to the stock switch.
I was wondering because i called the dealer today and the stock switch is 54 bucks and the fog light relay is 74 bucks, cant I just use any old relay?
Does anyone have an answer to this question? I already have the factory installed OEM fog lights, I just don't like the push button fog light switch, so I am replacing it with this switch: P/N 00550-3597. Does anyone know how to wire the four wires to a three pin switch? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
drmadron is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: don
drmadron's Tacoma Gallery
you can buy a kit from jc whitney for less than 100 bucks with switch and relay and wiring harnes, I did it last year in my 2010 tacoma, peace of cake. took two peaces of 4 and a half in pvc round ,cut it two in thick beveled the edges drilled holes and screwed the lights in it push them in the holes and put two screws in each side looks like from the factory.