LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

My '12 FX-R retrofit build/questions thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Name: David
OverRated's Tacoma Gallery
My '12 FX-R retrofit build/questions thread

I am going to log my process of retrofitting the FX-R's onto my '12 Tacoma headlights. This is also going to be my questions thread as well so please bare with me on this one. 1st time retrofitting so I do have a couple questions I would like to clear up.

1st questions are how correct does this look? I've trim the inside of the gatling shrouds and cant get them any lower without really cutting into the shrouds.. i didnt want to start chopping away at the ends of the shrouds in fear that it will show when i mount the headlights. So previous installers please! chime in on this one to help me out!

Another question is what do you guys think would look nice, blacked out the headlight completely or blackout leaving the reflector bowls and shrouds chrome? i am leaning towards the blacked out completely but would love your guys input! this is going onto a Pyrite Mica 2012 Tacoma so I think the blacked out look will make it look a bit meaner, I'm also planning on going with a set of black rims later down the road as well...

Thats all for now, I want to get the projector and shrouds fitting well and going to do more research before I crack those headlights open. Opening the headlights aren't going to be a big challenge for me hopefully, since I used to do other people's blackouts over at ClubRSX back when I had a RSX-S. Any help is better then no help! Thanks in advance!

Done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverRated View Post
Well instead of taking my sweet time as i originally planned i rush this project because i only had a day to do this.. anyways the build took about 7 hours including time spent buying supplies at a local hardware store. Everything turned out great although one side dripped a little jb weld due to be not allowing it to fully dry but its nothing to bad since the shrouds are black.. Anyways! this was a fun build, the day after i took the truck through snow and rain and no leaks at all!

David
Old 03-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
I did not worry about trimming the shroud to sit deeper over the projector. The headlight bowls on '05-'11 tacomas are pretty deep and I never see the projector sticking out from behind the shroud unless I get my face right up to it.

I like the reflector bowls left chrome or blacked out, I think they look good either way. I paint matched my bowls silver streak to stand out more.

If you go with all black, paint the side of the projector with the mounting tabs black and you will never see it behind the shroud.

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
I did not worry about trimming the shroud to sit deeper over the projector. The headlight bowls on '05-'11 tacomas are pretty deep and I never see the projector sticking out from behind the shroud unless I get my face right up to it.

I like the reflector bowls left chrome or blacked out, I think they look good either way. I paint matched my bowls silver streak to stand out more.

If you go with all black, paint the side of the projector with the mounting tabs black and you will never see it behind the shroud.

Good luck!
thanks for the input, that is a good idea! did you mask off the projector? is it safe to put blue painters tape over the projector as well?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Looking forward to results, please take a lot of pics! I've never done a head light retrofit and I haven't seen too much info on the 2012 specific head light retro process.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
bump, anyone knows if the shrouds needs to be trimmed more? or is it ok at where it is?...
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post

Good luck!
oh you just gave me an idea to color match mine to superwhite..hmmm I wonder if that would look alright...interesting..

But on a more on topic note, Good luck with your retrofit!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
If you were to do a poll (I did), the majority here will vote ALL BLACK. I went w/ the chrome shroud and black bezel anyway, for some reason I liked the technical robot look of it.

Your shroud is fine and i bet would probably fit better on the 12' bowl as I don't think it's as deep. Make sure you aim the projector slightly downward. Put the truck to a big wall in the dark, aim the light, tighten the bolts as best as possible (sometimes they don't really tighten too well and throw everything off), then JB kwik weld the light in place with a few small dabs just to keep it there. Let it dry for about 10-15minutes. Remove light. Drive home... uhh/ with a flash light lol then cold weld the projector is place.

Also if you are going to paint the reflector bowl be careful as you put the projector in the housing. It will scratch things up, whether it's chrome or paint. Put a little paper tape on the 4 corners where the screws go to prevent that. Oh man.. good luck.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...etrofit-2.html
My hellish retrofit. Pics are on the last page.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
What are you going to use to reseal them?

I used this but am unsure if I should have or not:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-h...ip-169353.html
Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Well instead of taking my sweet time as i originally planned i rush this project because i only had a day to do this.. anyways the build took about 7 hours including time spent buying supplies at a local hardware store. Everything turned out great although one side dripped a little jb weld due to be not allowing it to fully dry but its nothing to bad since the shrouds are black.. Anyways! this was a fun build, the day after i took the truck to through snow and rain and no leaks at all!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortland View Post
What are you going to use to reseal them?

I used this but am unsure if I should have or not:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-h...ip-169353.html
nothing, i like to use whatever glue that was there before. adding glue sometimes make the lights sit uneven to the frame so that is why i dont add any additional glue.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
Liem Salim is a jewel in the roughLiem Salim is a jewel in the roughLiem Salim is a jewel in the rough
Name: Ryan
Liem Salim's Tacoma Gallery
Finished?

so how did your end project look like? and did everything go well? I just ordered my fx-r kit...... and kinda scaredd