1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My '12 FX-R retrofit build/questions thread

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by OverRated, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mar 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    OverRated

OverRated [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma / TRD-OR / DCSB
    I am going to log my process of retrofitting the FX-R's onto my '12 Tacoma headlights. This is also going to be my questions thread as well so please bare with me on this one. 1st time retrofitting so I do have a couple questions I would like to clear up. :)

1st questions are how correct does this look? I've trim the inside of the gatling shrouds and cant get them any lower without really cutting into the shrouds.. i didnt want to start chopping away at the ends of the shrouds in fear that it will show when i mount the headlights. So previous installers please! chime in on this one to help me out! :)
    nb9pv9_cfe514796c4f7b037630c9a32ca8ac13bab152ea.jpg 2vs5iq9_112964f684f4ae8a8f8f4057193a2b8e77c28ba7.gif 10x5aab_f90d64497571fdaa650d41eddfbc945e967fcb58.jpg

Another question is what do you guys think would look nice, blacked out the headlight completely or blackout leaving the reflector bowls and shrouds chrome? i am leaning towards the blacked out completely but would love your guys input! this is going onto a Pyrite Mica 2012 Tacoma so I think the blacked out look will make it look a bit meaner, I'm also planning on going with a set of black rims later down the road as well...

Thats all for now, I want to get the projector and shrouds fitting well and going to do more research before I crack those headlights open. Opening the headlights aren't going to be a big challenge for me hopefully, since I used to do other people's blackouts over at ClubRSX back when I had a RSX-S. Any help is better then no help! Thanks in advance!

Done!
    David

2. Mar 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    I did not worry about trimming the shroud to sit deeper over the projector. The headlight bowls on '05-'11 tacomas are pretty deep and I never see the projector sticking out from behind the shroud unless I get my face right up to it.

I like the reflector bowls left chrome or blacked out, I think they look good either way. I paint matched my bowls silver streak to stand out more.

If you go with all black, paint the side of the projector with the mounting tabs black and you will never see it behind the shroud.

Good luck!

3. Mar 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    OverRated

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the input, that is a good idea! did you mask off the projector? is it safe to put blue painters tape over the projector as well?

4. Mar 14, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    I didn't bother painting mine. Like I said I never notice the mounting tabs. I would just use a paint brush on the mounting tabs if I was worried about it. Do a mock up and decide if it is necessary.

5. Mar 15, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    Looking forward to results, please take a lot of pics! I've never done a head light retrofit and I haven't seen too much info on the 2012 specific head light retro process.

6. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    OverRated

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    bump, anyone knows if the shrouds needs to be trimmed more? or is it ok at where it is?... :confused:

7. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    Kavik

Kavik Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Lowered: 3 inch drop blocks (Beefed Taco),Satoshi Grill, Morimoto bi-xenon H1 Retrofitted headlights, Flowmaster exhaust, Blue LED interior and exterior, blue LED dome light, Anzo black LED taillights, Hifonics Brutus 1100w Mono Block, Bazooka 300w Amp, LED license plate lights. Lifited: Fat Bob's rear shocks, Fat Bob's 3" spacer and rear AAL, Nitto Terragrapplers, weldertaco wrap around rear tube bumper, TrailWorx Fab tube front bumper
    oh you just gave me an idea to color match mine to superwhite..hmmm I wonder if that would look alright...interesting..:spy:

But on a more on topic note, Good luck with your retrofit! :D

8. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    If you were to do a poll (I did), the majority here will vote ALL BLACK. I went w/ the chrome shroud and black bezel anyway, for some reason I liked the technical robot look of it.

Your shroud is fine and i bet would probably fit better on the 12' bowl as I don't think it's as deep. Make sure you aim the projector slightly downward. Put the truck to a big wall in the dark, aim the light, tighten the bolts as best as possible (sometimes they don't really tighten too well and throw everything off), then JB kwik weld the light in place with a few small dabs just to keep it there. Let it dry for about 10-15minutes. Remove light. Drive home... uhh/ with a flash light lol then cold weld the projector is place.

Also if you are going to paint the reflector bowl be careful as you put the projector in the housing. It will scratch things up, whether it's chrome or paint. Put a little paper tape on the 4 corners where the screws go to prevent that. Oh man.. good luck.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/181863-bens-fx-r-retrofit-2.html
    My hellish retrofit. Pics are on the last page.

9. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
  10. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    ^Heard it works well, but the ultimate is butyl glue which is OEM. You can get some from the retrofitsource.com
    Follow up with a bead of clear silicone around the edge and you should be water proof

11. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    OverRated

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    Well instead of taking my sweet time as i originally planned i rush this project because i only had a day to do this.. anyways the build took about 7 hours including time spent buying supplies at a local hardware store. Everything turned out great although one side dripped a little jb weld due to be not allowing it to fully dry :rolleyes: but its nothing to bad since the shrouds are black.. Anyways! this was a fun build, the day after i took the truck to through snow and rain and no leaks at all! :D

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    OverRated

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    nothing, i like to use whatever glue that was there before. adding glue sometimes make the lights sit uneven to the frame so that is why i dont add any additional glue.

13. Mar 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM
    Liem Salim

Liem Salim Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    K&N Cold Air Intake (63-Series) Retrofitted Headlights (FX-R Stage III w/ Apollo 3.0 shroud) Leer 180 Cap Custom Bed Sliders iPad Mini Entertainment System LED bed lights
    so how did your end project look like? and did everything go well? I just ordered my fx-r kit...... and kinda scaredd

Products Discussed in

To Top