LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

A bulb to match Philips xtreme color?

Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
A bulb to match Philips xtreme color?

Hi folks,

I just ordered some Philip xtreme vision headlight bulbs, due to all the good reviews I've heard on here. It looks like they are going to be somewhere between stock yellowish white and, say a 6000k hid, as far as color goes (as seen in the pic, they have a small portion of the bulb that is tinted, but the rest is white).

Philips does not make the xtreme vision in h10, for our fog lights. I was wondering if anyone found a bulb that had a similar color to pair with the xtreme vision? My searches on other philips threads showed that many run yellow fogs, but I'm wanting a light color that matches the philips. Any input would be appriciated.

Thanks.

Here's a comparison of the philips (drivers side) and the silverstars (passenger side) and you can see the light is not the same color, so those are out.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Yikes... I got your PM, unfortunately I've always gone yellow with the fogs and never attempted to match the color. Unfortunately, I think you might have a hard time getting them to match exactly. I think you're going to end up with slightly different shades of white. The PIAA Xtreme white bulbs I have now are pretty close to the Philips bulbs, maybe a little whiter and they have a blue hue in the lamp itself (none of the light is blue).

Here are the PIAA's (The Xtreme White is available in H10 size):

These are the bulbs:
http://piaa.com/automotive-bulbs/xtreme_white_plus.html
Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Yikes... I got your PM, unfortunately I've always gone yellow with the fogs and never attempted to match the color. Unfortunately, I think you might have a hard time getting them to match exactly. I think you're going to end up with slightly different shades of white. The PIAA Xtreme white bulbs I have now are pretty close to the Philips bulbs, maybe a little whiter and they have a blue hue in the lamp itself (none of the light is blue).

Here are the PIAA's (The Xtreme White is available in H10 size):

These are the bulbs:
http://piaa.com/automotive-bulbs/xtreme_white_plus.html
Thanks Mike I will keep those in mind. I have some cheap "ultra white" bulbs that I had from a while ago that I'm going to try first but I'm betting they will be too blueish.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I experienced pretty much the same difference from SS ultras to the phillips extremes using the H7s in my halogen projectors. I'm sure everyone knows that 350-500.00 retro projector HID are more effective and "safe" setups over any 100-200.00 halogen or HID in halogen housing setups so please, let's not crank up that discussion, lol. The Phillips had whiter more useful light on the road than the ss ultras IMO. I am unaware of any H10 halogens for the fogs that would match the PE's. My fogs don't match my projectors but they match my parking lights.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Narva Rangepower 50's might do the trick for ya...+ they have several wattage's available.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I am unaware of any H10 halogens for the fogs that would match the PE's. My fogs don't match my projectors but they match my parking lights.
Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Narva Rangepower 50's might do the trick for ya...+ they have several wattage's available.
Looks like they don't come in h10 either
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Thanks for your input.
Looks like they don't come in h10 either
whoops....I have PIA fogs I put them in - sorry.

forgot my fogs were aftermarket POS overpriced junk (not kidding)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Superdavert is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Superdavert's Tacoma Gallery
I have 9005 headlight bulbs is mine. Plugs directly in. You could get the same brand in that size. It's a little pain in the a** to get them back in the mount. But it works and you get a little more light output.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdavert View Post
I have 9005 headlight bulbs is mine. Plugs directly in. You could get the same brand in that size. It's a little pain in the a** to get them back in the mount. But it works and you get a little more light output.
So you are using the 9005's in the fogs? No issues with water getting in or the lenses melting or anything? I guess I've never compared them side by side.

The "9" number for the H10 is 9145 from what I've found online.

And philips doesn't make the xtreme in a 9005, only a 9006. I haven't found anything that confirms those are interchangeable.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...foglights.html

Here's one thread on it. Seems a little work with a Dremel might be required to make them fit.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Superdavert is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Superdavert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
So you are using the 9005's in the fogs? No issues with water getting in or the lenses melting or anything? I guess I've never compared them side by side.

The "9" number for the H10 is 9145 from what I've found online.

And philips doesn't make the xtreme in a 9005, only a 9006. I haven't found anything that confirms those are interchangeable.
I've only had them in there for a couple months. No water and no melting so far. It actually tightened up like the stock bulbs after I got the "teeth" in where they lock into. The "teeth" are slightly different. I got the idea from a member on this sight. I also did this on my mustang and had no problems.

By"teeth" I mean the notch looking things on the bulb. There might be a name for them. Idk.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...foglights.html

Here's one thread on it. Seems a little work with a Dremel might be required to make them fit.
I've found a couple of other threads that indicate a 9005 can be used in the h10 slot, but as noted above the philips don't come in a 9005, only a 9006. A google search has revealed the 9006's do not fit in the h10 housings.

I found these blubs that at least seem to have the same "partially tinted" glass. They may be worth a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokya-Magnum-C...2358275&sr=1-8
Old 03-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Seen good things posted about the Nokya bulbs but no actual experience with them. My fogs are hideously unsafe 35w 5000k HIDs & they match my sad ccfl GEN 2 halos & parking lights but not the H7 PE's. At least I'm not blinding everyone with my burry ass cutoff in my cheap ass halogen projectors tho They suck only slightly less than the oems, only different.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the Phillips Extreme for the past few months and they put off much more light than stock. I also like the color compared to the Silverstars, more of a warm color instead of the white.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

+2 on the PE preference over the SS's.........(H7 low beam)
Old 03-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Got the Philips bulbs in and I really like them. Much brighter than stock, without the worry I had before that I was blinding people with my hids.

As for the color, I noted earlier that I purchased some cheap "super white xenon" halogen bulbs to try out. The color is pretty close to the Philips, close enough to make me happy. The cheap bulbs light output is terrible, but I've never relied on the fogs for much lighting anyway.

Here is a link to the bulbs that do a decent job of matching the Philips color, they are at the top of the page and are the "5500-6000k super white" ones.
http://autolumination.com/headlights.htm
Old 03-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a picture of the match. You can see that the fogs are just slightly less yellowy, if that's a word.