Notices

Help hiding wires from roof

Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
WV, VA, NC places i roam in the Yota
Jsimp will become famous soon enough

Name: Justin
Jsimp's Tacoma Gallery
Help hiding wires from roof

need help hiding the wire better for my KC lights on my roof. iv tried through the back side windows, didnt like it. im thinking about moving to to the first rack connection thing into the door and not the second.. any ideas? please help

Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Should be rubber grommets on the B pillars near the bottom. I would imagine you could bring it up through there somewhere, keeping it outside the cab tucked into the weather stripping all the way up. I'm not keen on running high current wires through the cab unless you have to. Just my take. I'm sure theres better methods. Eventually your insulation will break down in that method as well, and could possibly cause a short and a fire. Last thing you want is those wires going through your cab. Don't trust fuses.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #3

Jsimp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Should be rubber grommets on the B pillars near the bottom. I would imagine you could bring it up through there somewhere, keeping it outside the cab tucked into the weather stripping all the way up. I'm not keen on running high current wires through the cab unless you have to. Just my take. I'm sure theres better methods. Eventually your insulation will break down in that method as well, and could possibly cause a short and a fire. Last thing you want is those wires going through your cab. Don't trust fuses.
yeah i agree, i dont like the wires running threw the cab. i was thinking about making some sort of tubing (or rubber) on the back where i drew a yellow line so that i can just run all wires from the lights and other lights i plan on putting on later threw that and under the cab to the battery.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
No Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud of

Name: Bryce
No Fat Chicks's Tacoma Gallery
massive fire hazard.
$0.02

I've had to sacrafice my truck a few times now and either do some long a$$ wire extending to make it safe...er. and drill some holes to hide the wiring for a decent install and just use some liquid silicone and properly seal the hole from outside conditions and the bare metal from rust and sharp edges cutting into wires...

If it where me, I'd run the wires in some wire dressing down the middle down into the 3rd brake light on your cab, drill a tiny hole and try and hide the wires through the cab, its a lot of work but will look a lot cleaner because the wires are hidden and you can seal and weather proof the tiny hole in the brake and worse case scenario if you sell the truck, that brake light can easily be replace for cheap if the buyer thinks it degrades the value of the vehicle.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #5

Jsimp's Tacoma Gallery
^ that sounds like a good idea. iv got to get more wire. im gona get thicker wire too, to prevent over powering the wire. i use the lights A LOT and would not be happy to have them catch fire... had it happen before v

Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
No Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud ofNo Fat Chicks has much to be proud of

Name: Bryce
No Fat Chicks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimp View Post
^ that sounds like a good idea. iv got to get more wire. im gona get thicker wire too, to prevent over powering the wire. i use the lights A LOT and would not be happy to have them catch fire... had it happen before v

*insert the most possibly shocked face you can imagine*... *with a slight hint of disghust*
Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #7

Jsimp's Tacoma Gallery
that was about 4 days after too. the wires caught fire cause of my stupid friend was trying to help. he put the main power to the sswitch and the switch power to the lights.. all wires caught fire my first reaction was the grab the wire to pull the power.. not a very good idea.